New Visitor
cnordin

SBG6580 - How to get firmware upgrade?

I'm at 3.1.0.0   and I hope to get to 3.2.1+

I've got the modem with the version that comes out of the box and I can see that others around the country are upgraded.

But it is hard to convince front-line support that I've been on the comcast network with the modem for 30 days and yet my firmware has not upgraded and that is a problem for me.

The initial out-of-the-box version has some bugs that cause an intermittant need to reboot the modem to maintain a good connection.  

Since Motorola says only your ISP can upgrade and since Comcast has listed this surfboard modem model as compatible on it's web site, it seems only reasonable to expect that Comcast should upgrade in a timely fashion.  Otherwise, why put the modem on a list that you say customers can buy their own from?

I get the feeling that the peple who answer the phone are not trained to dig this deep and maybe there is some automatic update process that is otherwise fine but has somehow skipped me.

Got any suggestions for how to get attention from the right people in Comcast?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: SBG6580 - How to get firmware upgrade?

[ Edited ]

That is not a modem, it's a gateway device and this is one of the big reasons many of us here recommend NOT to get combo gateways like this, it makes firmware upgrades impossible since they are controlled by Comcast and there is no offcial way request an update.

My advice - get a regular cable modem and a separate router.  The router will be under your control and if you want to upgrade the firmware, have a good time.

New Visitor
cnordin

I see your point but I think I should be able to convince Comcast to take a more responsible position.

First of all, this gateway, just like my latest flat screen tv, comes out with immature firmware.  That is fine, so long as there is a path to upgrade it.   My TV does the upgrades easy peasy.   This gateway could be just as easy except for one reason and one reason only: cable providers want to control every aspect of their product, including these "leaf nodes" to their larger networks.  

Motorola specifically designed this SBG6580 to suit the cable providers.  Motorola and Comcast know each other's product intimately.   When Comcast listed this gateway as supported, it can't just support packet transit, it must supply the most critical firmware upgrades as well.

I bought this gateway because it was listed as supported by Comcast.  To say that Comcast shouldn't have to send the firmware updates down the pipe to me is to pretend that Comcast can't think and plan ahead and shouldn't be held responsible for what is easily known to thousands of Comcast and Motorola  employees.

I have already described my experience in Amazon's review section on the Motorola SBG6580, but the story isn't over yet.  I think Comcast owes me an upgrade pronto or should repay me for buying this gateway as well as my time and trouble in seeking a solution.  This could all have been easily forseen the very first day Comcast listed this gateway.

The people at Motorola who hope to sell many of these gateways should also know what the roadblock is to them selling more.  Unchecking IP flood protection is a minor annoyance compared to the absolute dead-end provided to me by Comcast.   If I was at Motorola and held responsible for sales levels of this gateway, I'd want to know about this dead-end.  I might even be tempted to offer upgrades directly if the cable providers wouldn't honor the design of the SBG6580.

I got to 2nd level support and I'm supposed to get a call back in the next day or two.   I'll let you know what I find out.

Contributor

I have that gateway with firmware 3.1.0.0 too; my instinct tells me from my event logs that Comcast is trying to push the firmware upgrade on the gateway. (I keep getting disconnected at night with either "broadcast maintenance request" or "started unicast maintenance ranging" messages in my event log.) However, it doesn't take and the SBG6580 disconnects very briefly. It's maddening as I get constantly disconnected while playing World of Warcraft. I have a tech coming out tomorrow.

Lesson learned though: I'll never go with a gateway again. For now, I'm just bridging the sucker to my other router.  lol

Connection Expert
EG

manusDei wrote:

my instinct tells me from my event logs that Comcast is trying to push the firmware upgrade on the gateway. (I keep getting disconnected at night with either "broadcast maintenance request" or "started unicast maintenance ranging" messages in my event log.)

FWIW, those are not the error message entries of a firmware push, those entries indicate that there are RF signal/connection quality issues.

Networking Expert
Baric

cnordin wrote:

I see your point but I think I should be able to convince Comcast to take a more responsible position.

I wish you good luck with that.  Some customers have been able to request firmware updates, but it's usually a long an bitter battle.  If you just went with a seperate cable modem and router, no issue, the firmware of the router is fully under your control.

I understand your position, but there's a large gap between the way you think things should be and the way they are.  If you can get them to change, great, but I'm skeptical.  And even if they do it for you, that doesn't help the next guy down the line.

My advice: stay far, far away from these combo gateways, there are nothing but trouble.  IMHO.

New Visitor
microtron

[ Edited ]

I've been experiencing the same issues just recently on the same gateway.  It's been great for a couple of months which is why I suspect changes as well or a recent exploit that may allow crashing of the unit.  When these issues happen, the modem syncs just fine, but does not acquire/reacquire its DHCP lease and is a dead node.

If going with a seperate modem + router is the suggestion, that would still not allow consumer updates to the modem, just the router.  The modem would still be under control of Comcast and may still be out of date based on their update schedule.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

microtron wrote:

If going with a seperate modem + router is the suggestion, that would still not allow consumer updates to the modem, just the router.  The modem would still be under control of Comcast and may still be out of date based on their update schedule.

Whuddya' want, everything ??  It is what it is with cable based broadband ISP's.  :smileysilly: Everyone is subject to that. To my experience, CC has been very timely with updating/pushing a modem's firmware once the maufacturers supply it to them and they do their internal testing

New Visitor
glacial

Anyone experience success in getting the SBG6580 firmware update from Comcast? There is actually a 3.3.0 version out there. I would really like to get it and try it before giving up on this hardware.

Contributor
Slee_Stack

I'm still running original f/w too.  I fought disconnects months back, replaced the rg-6 cable and was fine for some time.  Now I'm getting dropped WiFi connections on occasion...WAY more than ever.  I'd love a f/w update just to see if that could help.  I've sent comcast a request and expect absolutely ZERO help.  Gotta love customer service.

Contributor

glacial wrote:

Anyone experience success in getting the SBG6580 firmware update from Comcast? There is actually a 3.3.0 version out there. I would really like to get it and try it before giving up on this hardware.

No, sorry; I still have 3.1.0 myself.

New Visitor
brbauer2

I've had the modem/router/gateway/geektoy since May and had connectoin issues at first. A couple weeks of investigation and several service calls it was discovered that the entirty of Comcast's hardware at the pole was bad and had to be replaced.

That said, I like to have the latest updates to anything I own and my SBG6580 is still on 3.1. I have the next couple afternoons free and going to spend some of that free time with Comcast to investigate if/how we can request the update. I'll be sure to report back with any answers I get.

New Visitor
toddmh70

I'm experiencing the same issues and I'm unable to get help from Comcast. 

The normal technical support doesn't / isn't able to provide any assistance with updating the firmware.  They want to pass me along to their Signature support since they see the issue as a internal network (my side of the modem).  Of course, "Signature" means I need to give them money before they will help with this.

Pushing to talk with a supervisor at standard or signature support isn't getting me anywhere.

Any ideas how to get Comcast to read this message thread and respond with a resolution?

user cnordin seems to be asking the same thing.

Contributor

Try sending an email to yet?

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

Name

Address

Phone number to your account

Account number

A link to this thread (or your post)

New Visitor
chrisjmartini

I am experiencing the disconnect and other issues with this modem/gateway.

I have sent a support request to the above email address as well as through the help section on the site for this issue. All the comcast support staff I have spoken to here do not know what I am talking about and further do not understand the concept of "firmware".

This has been going on for 8 months or so and I have now escalated this using the address you provided above.

Comcast needs to pay closer attention to the needs of their customers. The device in question is on their list of supported devices and thus, Comcast has an obligation to provide relevant support.

I will post their response so that others will be made aware of a resolution.

New Visitor

Running into the same issue here. Comcast customer support is no help.