New Visitor
lejung
Accepted Solution

SMCD3GNV modem/router poor wireless range

[ Edited ]

Is there a compatable wireless modem/router to replace my worthless SMCD3GNV from comcast?

Very poor wireless signal range...i have internet, tv, and phone bundled on this "wireless wonder(less)".

LJ

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: SMCD3GNV modem/router poor wireless range

[ Edited ]

Hello,

You can also try theTG852G.
These gateways in my opinion are not the best. Like you said,"Poor wireless range".

If you want to keep the gateway you could call comcast Support for the gateways 1-800-363-2416 and ask for help in putting the gateway in bridge mode and then purchase yourself a wireless router and hook it up that would be the best.

New Visitor
lejung

[ Edited ]

Thanks,

Is that what they mean by a gateway, that its for a phone line also?

If it buy the motorola SB6120,  and a wireless router will it replace the rental from comcast?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

What I mean by gateway is a router and modem. With a telephone line you are talking about a etma which is different. If you are looking to get a etma you can purchase one at Best Buy and then you will not be charged a monthly fee. If you want to buy the motorola sb6120 and a wireless router it will replace the rental from comcast.

I will include a link for you of the approved comcast modems.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems

New Visitor
lejung

Thanks!

You have been a wealth of help. Now how do i pay ya..lol

New Visitor
lejung

Got it.

Just one last question :-)

Being that my only issue with this gateway is poor wifi signal range, whats your thoughts on a signal extender like the NETGEAR WN3000RP WiFi Range Extender that would just plug into an outlet on the opposite side of the wall that the gateway is in my office. I have tested the wireless signal there and it comes through the wall (i guess) real good and have nice strength. I would just like to boost it from that point to the room next to it. We are not talking a very long distance, just a couple rooms further from the office is fine and i like the idea that you just plug it into an outlet.

Thanks again bud.

LJ

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

I have had the exact same one for a long time and never had a problem. For the distance you are talking about it is good enough.