Regular Contributor

SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present

Hi has anybody esle been getting this error in there Motorola cable modem SB5101 log SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present. This happens each time i reboot the cable modem and the receive and send lights flash for about 5mins also then stay on normally the modem works ok during this and after. Does anybody know what could be wrong is the server down?

2009-06-08 14:33:00 4-Error E104.0 SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present

2009-06-08 14:31:21 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb5101_silver_c01.cm

Bronze Star Contributor

Re: SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present

junkmanpackrat wrote:

Hi has anybody esle been getting this error in there Motorola cable modem SB5101 log SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present. This happens each time i reboot the cable modem and the receive and send lights flash for about 5mins also then stay on normally the modem works ok during this and after. Does anybody know what could be wrong is the server down?

2009-06-08 14:33:00 4-Error E104.0 SW Upgrade Failed Before Download - Server not Present

2009-06-08 14:31:21 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb5101_silver_c01.cm

Ditch this old motorola cable modem and get this Thompson cable modem, because the Thompson cable modem updates itself much better than Motorola because Thompson cable modem is becoming widely used and Comcast supports this model better than others... because I had bad experinces with this stupid Motorola cable modem... it kept losing connectivity and I noticed that the motorola modem rejecting the sw upgrade... so I got the cable modem replaced... The Thompson cable is much better according to the cable techinican... He said that if it detects updated software... it will automatically download and update the firmware itself... I am happy to have it in my house... because it seemed to behaving much better than Motorola modem....  The Motorola are being ditched by Comcast because the Motorola modem are known to cause big headaches in Comcast techinican and programmers... So they decided in long time ago to ditch the Motorola modem for better modem like Thompson which was used to be RCA's...   I had no problems with Thompson cable modem...

higgie

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

higgie wrote:

Ditch this old motorola cable modem and get this Thompson cable modem, because the Thompson cable modem updates itself much better than Motorola because Thompson cable modem is becoming widely used and Comcast supports this model better than others... because I had bad experinces with this stupid Motorola cable modem... it kept losing connectivity and I noticed that the motorola modem rejecting the sw upgrade... so I got the cable modem replaced... The Thompson cable is much better according to the cable techinican... He said that if it detects updated software... it will automatically download and update the firmware itself... I am happy to have it in my house... because it seemed to behaving much better than Motorola modem....  The Motorola are being ditched by Comcast because the Motorola modem are known to cause big headaches in Comcast techinican and programmers... So they decided in long time ago to ditch the Motorola modem for better modem like Thompson which was used to be RCA's...   I had no problems with Thompson cable modem...

higgie

First off, the 5101 is not an "old modem".. It is the newest/latest D2 modem available from Moto..

Second, I don't know where you got that stuff about Moto's and CC, and CC and Thompsons, but it is not correct...

That may be your particular experience and/or opinion, but is it based on fact and empirical evidence ???

If it is fact, please post relevant info and links.

Message Edited by EG on 06-11-2009 11:32 PM
Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

higgie wrote:

Ditch this old motorola cable modem and get this Thomson cable modem, because the Thomson cable modem updates itself much better than Motorola because Thomson cable modem is becoming widely used and Comcast supports this model better than others... because I had bad experinces with this stupid Motorola cable modem... it kept losing connectivity and I noticed that the motorola modem rejecting the sw upgrade... so I got the cable modem replaced... The Thomson cable is much better according to the cable techinican... He said that if it detects updated software... it will automatically download and update the firmware itself... I am happy to have it in my house... because it seemed to behaving much better than Motorola modem....  The Motorola are being ditched by Comcast because the Motorola modem are known to cause big headaches in Comcast techinican and programmers... So they decided in long time ago to ditch the Motorola modem for better modem like Thomson which was used to be RCA's...   I had no problems with Thompson cable modem...

higgie

First off, the 5101 is not an "old modem".. It is the newest/latest D2 modem available from Moto..

Second, I don't know where you got that stuff about Moto's and CC, and CC and Thomsons, but it is not correct...

That may be your particular experience and/or opinion, but is it based on fact and empirical evidence ???

If it is fact, please post relevant info and links.

Message Edited by EG on 06-11-2009 11:32 PM

Let me be clear about the Motorola cable modem, I had worst experince with Motorola SB5120 because it is notorious for losing the conntectivity because I had to redownload one file that about 100 mb at least five times... This old modem SB5120 kept losing the connectivity in middle of download. It drove me nuts... I finally downloaded one 100mb file after five attempts... The power connection was flaky and it kept tripping out and in... I told the cable technician about the problem with Motorla SB5120. He brought in that new modem He said that RCA cable modem (now Thomson Cable Modem) is much better than I had before... He said that it would automatically update itself... I was impressed with its reliability... I am happy with this current modem Thomson DCM425C... I have no problem with it since then... I was able to download the update automatically with no errors or no problem at all... I learned to disconnect the modem and unplug whole system from the wall outlet when the thunderstorms come and I wait 2 hours after the thunderstorm passed by before I reconnect the modem... that way to protect my system... Since then there was no problem with my current cable modem...  I am satisfied with Thomson cable modem...  I guess that all I had to say about Motorola cable modem...it is lousiest cable modem I ever had in my life.

Thomson cable modem is BEST modem I ever had!!!

higgie

Reason for editing: incorrect brand name.  The word marked in red is corrected...

Message Edited by higgie on 06-13-2009 01:03 AM
Connection Expert
EG

That's empirical evidence and documentation that many others had issues with that modem ? I don't think so, sorry. That is just your particular experience...