Visitor
fnug

Second new Motorola SURFboard® SB6121 not working!

After moving in to a new apartment in Chicago I signed up for Comcast cable internet.  The tech came out and attempted to hook up a new Motorola SURFboard® SB6121 that I purchased from Radio Shack.

The modem continuously rebooted itself, only connecting for a quick moment before restarting in a loop.  The tech said that this problem was rampant recently and told me to use a Comcast provided modem while I waited to replace the Motorola.  The Motorola modem comes highly recommended by others who have comcast here in Chicago, so I decided to get another off Amazon.

Yesterday I attempted to connect the new Motorola SURFboard® SB6121 to no avail, as it suffered from the same "reboot" problem as the first.  I know the cable hook up is good as it works with the comcast modem.  Is it possible I have been given 2 duds on a modem that is widely reviews 5 out of 5 stars?  Is there another explanation?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Second new Motorola SURFboard® SB6121 not working!

Visitor
fnug

thanks for replying!

i reconnected the motorola, and inbetween restarts it offered anywhere from 0-10 seconds of connectivity, enough time to get some readings:

Here's everything from "signal":

Downstream--Bonding Channel Level

Channel ID1 

Frequency549000000 Hz 

Signal to Noise Ratio34 dB 

Downstream ModulationQAM256 

Power Level11 dBmV  

Upstream--bonding channel level 

Channel ID7

Frequency36400000 Hz 

Ranging ServiceID n/a 

Symbol Rate5.120 Msym/sec 

Power Level24 dBmV 

Upstream Modulation[3] QPSK

`[3] 64QAM

Ranging StatusOther

Signal status (codewords)Bonding Channel Codewords

Channel ID1 

Total Unerrored Codewords367082 

Total Correctable Codewords0 

Total Uncorrectable Codewords 509 

Is  this helpful?  thanks for your time.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Your signal levels are way out of whack. You need to call for a tech, it's not something you can fix.

Visitor
fnug

k. thanks.   it's clearly the modem though, 'cause the comcast one they provided works fine.  i just don't want to pay the rental fee.

should i bother trying a motorola again?  i've heard they have the best speeds, but i'm 0 for 2 now and running out of time.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Be advised that the upstream power level figure (Power Level 24 dBmV) is not accurate and un-useable as the modem was still in ranging mode when the figure was obtained.

This data ("Ranging Status Other") should say "complete" or "locked" if the modem indeed had sync.

I do agree however that it may be an RF signal/connection quality issue. What do the signal stats look like with the other modem ?

Visitor
fnug

thanks for replying.

the provided cisco modem, which is functional, does not offer the same information.  when i go to nture/Drama‎ - http://192.168.100.1/ and click either "signal"  "status" or "log" it says "This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem."  The only information available is under "system" and shows the modem info, MAC address, and:

Software Versionq dpc2100R2-v2.0.2r1256-100817as

Receive Power Level 7.2 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio 36.0 dB

Transmit Power Level 44.9 dBmV

Cable Modem StatusOperational

thoughts?