Contributor
stevey88

Self install with my own modem

Ordered the self install kit and bought a used Motorola SB5100 modem. Am I supposed to call in and let them know the MAC address first before starting the install ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

Re: Self install with my own modem

Yea, you'll have to call in and get it provisioned... Call the number on the insert that came with it for faster service, not 800comcast

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

FWIW, that is an older modem that does not support their latest implimentation of the DOCSIS 3 standards / improvements.

Recognized Contributor
bnaughty

I passed that part over, good point...

Contributor
stevey88

Re: Self install with my own modem, now a problem

Talk to live chat and they entered my MAC address and serial number. After the modem is powered up, the receive led flashes for about 30 second and then stay solid. The send led just keep flashing forever. on-line led never lite up. Is something wrong with my modem?

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

It's not actually synchronized with the system. This could be a signal / line problem or the modem. Where did you buy it used ? (never a good thing with a cable modem). Perhaps it is defective. They won't be able to actually provision it for service until and unless it is fully synched with the system.

Contributor
stevey88

So if the modem is Ok and the Comcast connection to my modem is OK, the receive and send leds should both be on solid. After they provision my modem, the on-line led will be on. Is this the sequence ?

I had Comcast broadband a few years ago and I am using the same connection. Don't know if they mess with the transmission at their end or not.

Thank you very much.

Connection Expert
EG

*Barring any RF signal / modem hardware issues*, a modem will obtain block sync with the system (send, receive, and online lights lit solidly) before it is even provisioned for service. The lights will not change due to provisioning.

Contributor
stevey88

Thank you EG. I will try my modem at my neighbor's house tomorrow to see if this is a modem problem.

Connection Expert
EG

Good idea. If there is no signal problem there it should sync and the online light should be lit solidly.

Contributor
stevey88

Tested the modem neighbor's house and the on-line led lit up. So there is nothing wrong with my modem and it is Comcast who did not send a signal to my house. The strange thing is some one ( I guess their tech ) has came to my house and removed the splitter that was inside the grey box and connect directly to the cable that come out of my house. I know because there was a splitter there earlier last week.

Connection Expert
EG
New Visitor
ggiordano96

I have a computer modem for the cable. Can I buy some sort of phone modem and use it with my computer modem to get rid of the comcast modem and avoid the $7.00 monthly charge?

Thanks in advance for your helpful reply,

Guy

New Visitor
gfautoshopper

Yes, you can buy a telephony modem. Start here (http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/) then look for what you want.

The site, in case it was blocked is mydeviceinfo dot comcast dot net