Contributor
runtimejack

Setting up Ps3 with Xfinity Gateway modem ????

I have been trying to set up internet access on my ps3 through the gateway modem. What is the secret ??? I have tried everything! Ps3 can obtain ip address then fails on the internet connection. Can anyone Help?

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Re: Setting up Ps3 with Xfinity Gateway modem ????

Are you able to connect any other device to the gateway? Also is your PS3 connected directly or WiFi?
Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor
runtimejack

Yes, Laptop (wifi) & Desktop (wired) - Trying to connect ps3 to wifi.

Regular Contributor
shuck1

What is the model of the gateway?  TG852?

-CS

Contributor
runtimejack

Its a TG862

Regular Contributor
shuck1

Are you able to log into the router 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1 If so log into the router with admin/password that should be the default unless changed by technician

1 go into the connections section

2 go to the wifi tab

3security mode WPAWPA2-PSK(TKIP-AES)

4Network password make it something secure but something you will remember

Playstation

1 go to settings

2 network settings 

3 Internet connection settings

4 once in just select easy===>Wireless===>Scan===>Then the SSID on your router you should see the WPA/WPA2(TKIP-AES) next to SSID select your SSID ===>then put in the WPA key you created on the router.

run the test and you should be good to go

let me know if you run into a snag 

-CS

Contributor
runtimejack

Thank You  -CS for the information. I wish it were that easy. I have done those steps many times. Reset modem, reset modem to factory default, power cycled, and even did a factory restore on the ps3. It shouldnt be this time consuming.

I called Sony - They walked me through the setup (same thing I have been trying) only to tell me to contact the Gateway mfg to open ports and emailed me a like with the port information. I havent had the time to call. I tried to search for info on the web, but there is not much info out there (These gatways must be very new to the market)

My soulition, I am pondering, is to return the gateway back to Comcast as I am paying $7/mo for and get just a modem. Purchase my own router. I was looking at the Netgear N600 WNDR3700 & Motorola SB6121 DOCSYS 3.0 modem. I will do this after I test my ps3 at my friends house to make sure its no the problem first.

Networking Expert
Baric

First off, you can try setting the gateway to WPA2PSK-AES, don't use the WPA/WPA2PSK (TKIP/AES), that;s meant for use with older devices that don't support WPA2, and it has issues.

Better yet, have the gateway placed in bridge mode and use your own router.

Best of all, get rid of it like you say and replace with your own cable modem and router.  The only issue here is if you have Xfinity Voice service, in which case your choice of your own cable modem/EMTA is very limited.

Contributor
runtimejack

I have the older ps3 (not slim) - Thanks

Contributor
runtimejack

I tried changing the gateway to WPA2PSK-AES - power cycled and all that. Still the ps3 obtains the ip address and fails to connect to the internet.

Cant find support phone number for Arris on their website.

I just have just internet service, no tv, and no phone. So returning the gateway back to Comcast sound like my best choice.

Regular Contributor
shuck1

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't look for the Arris number they don't have a dept for endusers They only support the mso(Comcast). 

Networking Expert
Baric

runtimejack wrote:

I tried changing the gateway to WPA2PSK-AES - power cycled and all that. Still the ps3 obtains the ip address and fails to connect to the internet.

Cant find support phone number for Arris on their website.

I just have just internet service, no tv, and no phone. So returning the gateway back to Comcast sound like my best choice.

Bridge mode should also work well.  Call the gateway support folks at 800-363-2416 and have them do it.  Then hook up your own wireless router.

Regular Contributor
shuck1

Quick qestion what happens when you turn off the encryption all together

-CS

New Visitor
moe_1995

all you have to do is change the firewall of your modem to low and it will work.

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

shuck1 wrote:

Quick qestion what happens when you turn off the encryption all together

-CS

If you turn all your encryption off then you will have a open network that anybody around you can just connect to and use your internet. (Not good) 

New Visitor
ihazaproblem

so you have to have an external router to connect a ps3? or is there a way to connect to the internal router?

Connection Expert
EG