Visitor
crockett1929

Something seems wrong with my bandwidth meter or my network

Hi there...

I'm a Comcast Triple-Play subscriber (Internet, TV, phone), and I looked at my bandwith meter (trying to be a "good citizen" re: the 250GB "cap"). It's only the middle of the month, and I'm at 90% usage, which seems impossible. I haven't been warned or anything for going over the cap (which I've inadvertently done before, looking at the past three months of usage). My question though, is this... Does the telephone usage factor into the total 250GB cap re: Triple-Play? I telecommute to work from home twice a week, and as a software support rep, I'm literally on the phone most of the workday. We do stream movies here and there from my xBox 360 as well, but shouldn't be anywhere near this amount of data being moved across the wire. So my questions are this:

1) Does the Triple Play phone service come into play re: the usage meter?

2) If not, I know that PPV, on-demand does NOT factor against it, just internet usage, so what are some things to check? I'm a fairly savvy tech-guy, so I know my wireless network isn't being hijacked or anything (I resecured it today to make sure). I have one laptop (connected to work via a VPN connection). I thought the newly-implemented VPN connection might be to blame, but a quick poll of other Comcast users at work shows them having no problems, and not even approaching the usage cap. Here's the sum-total of my devices:

a) One desktop PC

b) One laptop (both used for work primarily)

c) One xBox 360, from which I do stream on average one or two SD movies/shows per day from Zune/Netflix, maybe a couple of HD movies per week.

d) One BluRay player w/Internet connectivity, which I very seldom stream movies to via Vudu service.

I'm showing 90% usage and it's only the middle of the month, so I'd like some ideas on what to troubleshoot. c) and d) are powered-off most of the time, but I do leave a) and b) on most of the time. Microsoft auto-updates are automatically downloaded, but those usually aren't that large (or consistently this large). No torrent downloading (100% sure nobody in my house does either, as it's just my wife and I) or "cloud" device backups either (which I know can really affect the numbers, so I avoid them and backup locally instead).

I'm wondering (if the phone service doesn't play into it) if I have a bad Cable modem/router/etc. that might be ARP broadcasting all the time or something. Any way for someone to check?

Thanks!

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Something seems wrong with my bandwidth meter or my network

[ Edited ]

The Comcast digital voice service does not factor in to the bandwidth consumption. Background ARP DHCP traffic would be rather small.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

When your vpn is active can you directly (i.e. not through the vpn) access the internet with that computer?

You should not be able to if the vpn is configured correctly.

If you can, you may have a sneak path from your work lan through your computer to the internet.

Traffic from your work lan to the internet would run the total up in a hurry since each packet would be counted twice.

Visitor
crockett1929

The corporate office IT folks configure the VPN, and yes, I can still "get out" to the Internet locally (outside the VPN connection, which I find a bit odd as well from previous experiences w/VPN), so I'm not sure how exactly it's setup. I launch a pre-configured app and that's it. Anway, others I work with (also comcast) use the same system and don't show the crazy bandwidth usage. I'm wondering if I may have a bad cable modem or something, but performance doesn't seem to be an issue (I'd think I'd see a lot of dropped connections, etc). I re-secured the network today and applied new DHCP IP schemes to the whole thing to make sure nobody is hijacking the connection, so maybe that'll fix it. It just shocked me when I saw the crazy level of usage...

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

Does your router measure traffic?

I use a Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT firmware installed.

IT shows the load on a daily basis.

traffic.jpg

The Comcast meter currently shows 16 GB so it's close.