Bronze Star Contributor
Accepted Solution

Speed Tiers

Hi guys...just wanted to clarify the Speed Tier I am currently on.  It seems that Comcast currently has three tiers of high speed service:

Performance

Extreme

Blast

As I dig around on my Xfinity profile I cannot find anything that even resembles what Tier I am paying for.  My paper bill every month shows me on Ultra Internet(22 mbps + Powerboost).  What I can find via Google is the term "Ultra" is an older speed tier rating name but suppose I was grandfathered in.  Now I know I have been paying the extra $$$ for the higher rated speed for many years now.  So with that in mind I know I have been paying for faster service.  Over the years however Comcast/Xfinity has made changes to provisioned speeds so right now I have no clue how Ultra compares to the currently offered speed tiers.

Digging around on one of the Comcast pages I find my charges each month suggest I am on the Blast Tier.  If that is so then why does my paper bill each month show "Ultra"?

Can anyone shed some light?

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Speed Tiers

[ Edited ]

Hello again jbob. Hope things are well with you. To my knowledge, *bang for the buckwise*, you would now be better off switching to Blast Tier. Many posters on the BBR Forums have done this. It may currently be either 25/4 or 50/10 depending on if the upgrade hit a particular area yet. I also understand that all areas will be 50/10 sometime this year. Extreme has been upgraded from 50/10 to 105/20 in many areas. I can't give prices as they (as usual) vary in different franchises.

You need to actually call in to request the change or you will stay "grandfathered" on Ultra until they decide what they are goung to do with it.

Bronze Star Contributor

HI EG....Now this is what's confusing.  As I was posting this thread I was also looking at a site on Comcast about upgrading service.  That is when I noticed the speed tiers I mentioned.  I had a popup dialog asking if I wanted to chat with a Comcast tech.  I did and he(Chris) confirmed "Ultra" and "Blast" were the same thing.   So I asked then why doesn't my Bill change from showing I have "Ultra" to "Blast".  He had no answer.  lol

Also with the grandfathering I believe I am still getting the original 5 mb upload speeds and was never actually downgraded to 4 mb as many other users are seeing.

So do I actually have to call and ask to upgrade to "Blast"?  I could actually do it online and even ask for the promotional rate!  lol

And reading of the upcoming speed increases it was got me curious.  Surely don't want to miss out on an upgrade to a 50/10 connection.  Whenever it happens.  Which makes me wonder what if it already has here and I'm stuck on "Ultra".  :smileysad:

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

FWIW, here is a current reference FAQ at BBR about speeds. Notice the "select areas" verbiage. Everything that CC does can be confusing...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]