Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Status of Comcast's Usage Monitoring Tool(s)

I have seen several posts/threads on this subject both here on Comcast's forums and elsewhere

Is the montitoring software forthcoming?  I do not (and will not) run McAffee-based software on my Macs, and the office computer is locked from installing anything.  I cannot install any firmware-based monitoring tools on the FVG318 router, either.

So, just checking....

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Status of Comcast's Usage Monitoring Tool(s)

If you are referring to the promised bandwidth meter, it will likely be at their server level and not be a software app that gets installed on subscriber's computers.
Bronze Star Contributor
MangyMoose

Thanks.  And yeah - I figured it would be something on Comcast's side.  The term "software' was meant to be a generalistic term.  I am more interested in the status.
Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

It's been almost a year since it was announced.  I don't think that they currently have the capability to do an accurate measurement.  If they did, any programmer worth his salt could have developed an online application in a month to display the data.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

MangyMoose wrote:

Thanks.  And yeah - I figured it would be something on Comcast's side.  The term "software' was meant to be a generalistic term. 

Yeah. It did sort of sound like you were referring to a software app especially since you had mentioned McAfee..

Message Edited by EG on 10-06-2009 10:59 AM
Contributor

If they ever do implement it, it will probalby just be in your online comcast account showing you how much bandwidth you have used.
Email Expert

Yeah. It did sort of sound like you were referring to a software app especially since you had mentioned McAfee..

The way I interpreted it is that he wants the Comcast server-based solution because he doesn't want to install an app or modify his router.

Connection Expert
EG

Good for you !!  :smileysilly: