Contributor

Sudden high ping/jitter and packet loss as of 10/28

[ Edited ]

^Ping tests from my two nearest servers.

Just started today. Usually have a 15-25ms ping and 0% packet loss and relatively no jitter.

This morning I was playing Xbox and hosting multiplayer games. All other members of the game noticed "twitching" every 5 seconds or so. I go and test my ping and suddenly have 25-50ms ping and 10-20 jitter.

I reset my SMC and made sure everything else was configured correctly.

Currently online gaming is UNPLAYABLE for me because of this issue. Something is seriously wrong and I have never had this issue before.

This seems to be on Comcast's end. Is this occuring in my area for other Comcast users as well?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Sudden high ping/jitter and packet loss as of 10/28

We need more information please:

- Post your upstream and downstream signal levels. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). You may also want to contact Comcast and ask for your upstream SNR (uSNR) and receive level.
- Post your modem’s error logs.
- Post the make and model of your modem.
- Post the make and model of your router if you have one.
- Let us know if you contacted Comcast or had a tech visit.
- Let us know what the lights on your modem are doing when you are having problems.

- Plug directly into the modem (no router) via ethernet and run ShaperProbe.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Recognized Contributor
Ronny_Cordova

You have a bit of a signal issue on your hands, personally I wouldn't like seeing my downstream carriers lower than -8.  -12 is just pushing ot far too much and your return is a bit on the high side, you want to see that below 50 on average.  It would be worth your time to schedule a visit from a tech to see about getting some more signal to your equipment.  Also, do you know what model SMC you currently have?

Regular Contributor
THaagenson

I agree with Ronny.  When I had my last tech out he said those words almost exactly.  Under -10 or over 10 on the Downstream is bad and over 50 on the upstream is bad.  You are already over 50 on the upstream and any fluctuation (which happens normally) will likely cause you problems.

Connection Expert
EG

Are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ?

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then putting them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Contributor

I'm using only one single splitter that I need. 

Connection Expert
EG

Then get a tech visit.

Contributor