Contributor
Sherl0ck

Tech Visit Schedule, Will I/Should I Be Charged?

Hello, I have had the Internet service only since 09/05/11. And I have had constantly reboot/disconnect/lost signal almost daily. 

My initial setup is the Motorola 5121U and Linksys WRT54GL 

At first, I was told that it takes 1 to 2 days for the Internet service to be fully activated, and that corroborated with my experience where on the second day the internet worked smooth and flawlessly. I did still experience short episodes of the modem rebooting, and I chalked it up to maybe the router wasn't compatible with either the modem or online gaming

Still worried that the modem, given a fair number of the people on this forum have complained about it and that it is a DOCOSIS 2.0, I went ahead and bought Motorola 6121, which is highly compatible with Comcast and is 3.0

The next day, service went out for both TV and Internet,  and the Tech I spoke to atrributed to some of my difficulties experienced that day to the outage that my area was having. 

Then, everything was fine until last night about 9pm Pacific Time, I completely lost signal. Power and Down Stream would be lit, but no Up Stream and no Internet connection. This went on until about 4PM today, when the Internet mysteriously came back. 

I had spoken with a Tech earlier in the day, and she confirmed that I wasn't getting any signal and that she went ahead and scheduled a Tech visit. However, she did warn that I might be asssessed for a fee if the Internet came back and if the Tech deems so. 

Given the Internet has just come back, I wanted to double-check, so I chatted with another Tech. And there were no solutions where I would not be assessed of any fees. Even though I have been having difficulties all week and I live in a rather old building, there is still a possibility that if somehow a Tech deems the line to be faulty or damaged (not by Comcast), then I will be assessed a fee. Is that right? And the alternative is to enroll in a protection plan which I will have to spend more money. Is that right also?

To recap, I have swapped out the modems, stopped using my router, experienced intermitted service pretty much all week, had one outage, lost signal for almost 24 hours, and I haven't had the service for a week! And I might still be charged for a fee?

To be fair, two of the Techs did mention that I might be refunded. Great, except that's not the point. The point is I have been having difficulties and something might be physically wrong with the wiring, and I personally feel I should not be charged if a repair is necessary.

Help, please. I apologize for any tones I might have had.  

Contributor
Frigidformself

Re: Tech Visit Schedule, Will I/Should I Be Charged?

Check the event log on your modem/router

Email Expert

Intermittent problems like this are problematic. If the technician comes out and there's nothing wrong at that time, there's no way for him to tell what to fix or if he's fixed it.

Contributor
Sherl0ck

Not the router, I stopped using it. 

Not the modem, because it has the highest compatibility rating on Comcast's own list. 

I literally had no signal for almost 24 hours. 

My problem is not just intermittent. 

Contributor
Sherl0ck

Barmar wrote:

Intermittent problems like this are problematic. If the technician comes out and there's nothing wrong at that time, there's no way for him to tell what to fix or if he's fixed it.

Yeah I know. I want to at least make sure the physical wiring is not faulty. But see, then we are back to about me getting charged even though I have used two different modems and stopped using my router. 

Email Expert

Intermittent doesn't mean infrequent, it just means that it's not consistent, i.e. it comes and goes.

When the tech comes, he's going to check if there's a problem. If there is, he'll try to fix it, and you shouldn't be charged. But if there's no apparent problem, there's nothing for him to fix, and the visit is a waste of his time. That's why Comcast wants to charge for it, they don't want their techs going on spurious service calls.

Since Comcast knows from your history that your service is flaky, they may waive the charge for this. But since we don't work for Comcast, we're just customers like you, there's no way for us to provide any assurance about it.

Connection Expert
EG

What do your modem's signal stats look like when you have a good connection ? Get them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Contributor
Sherl0ck

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

What do your modem's signal stats look like when you have a good connection ? Get them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

DPL: 5 to 7 dBmV

UPL: 50 dBmV

SNR: 36 dB 

Connection Expert
EG

Well QAM 256 is not the SNR, it is the type of downstream modulation being used. It would help to see the actual downstream SNR. That said, the upstream power is borderline too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec.That will cause random disconnects and spontaneous re-booting of the modem. Are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ? If not, perhaps a tech visit is in order to investigate and correct.

Connection Expert
EG

O/k I see that you have edited your post, so the downstream SNR is good.

Contributor
Sherl0ck

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

Well QAM 256 is not the SNR, it is the type of downstream modulation being used. It would help to see the actual downstream SNR. That said, the upstream power is borderline too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec.That will cause random disconnects and spontaneous re-booting of the modem. Are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ? If not, perhaps a tech visit is in order to investigate and correct.

Sorry, fixed the SNR. 

Is there anything that can be done for the upstream power? 

No unnecessary splitters. Just one that's for internet and cable. 

Thank you for your help, by the way. 

Edit: I enrolled in the Service Protection Plan anyway. Not taking any chances...

Connection Expert
EG

If a premise tech can't find or fix your issue it is his responsibility to escalate it to their line/maintenance dept. techs.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

[ Edited ]

Sherl0ck wrote:
Even though I have been having difficulties all week and I live in a rather old building, there is still a possibility that if somehow a Tech deems the line to be faulty or damaged (not by Comcast), then I will be assessed a fee. Is that right?

"Old building" as in "apartment building"? In cablespeak those are MDUs (multiple dwelling units) - you don't own the wring in them and company policy is to NOT charge you for those repairs. They would charge you if it was your fault --bad customer owned equipment or something you did inside the apartment.

Connection Expert
EG

In addition, they may not service the building wiring if it is owned by the property owner (which it typically is). The owner could make some arrangements.

Contributor
saltfever

Thanks for moving it. But if you move it shouldn't it have a new title as a new thread? Sorry for the question...newbie trying to learn forum protocall. However, I have read all of the forum instructions and some good stickies. :smileygrin:

Connection Expert
EG

saltfever wrote:

Thanks for moving it. But if you move it shouldn't it have a new title as a new thread?

They don't give us that much control...