New Visitor
mojoboogie

Trying to buy Arris TM722G - without success.

Tired of paying the leasing fee and want to purchase my modem.  Comcast tech support says to purchase the Arris TM722G from the Comcast Connection Center at Best Buy.  There is no such thing as a Comast Connection Center at Best Buy in New Mexico.  I can't even find a list of Connection Centers by state anywhere.  Question - Can I purchase a functional modem from another state Connection Center and then install it here in NM myself?  If so, where can I find a list of Connection Centers?

Thank you.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Trying to buy Arris TM722G - without success.

First. That is a telephony type modem so unless you have their CDV telephone service you don't need an eMTA.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

If you do need a eMTA as EG said, check these two stores for Comcast Connection Centers

West Albuquerque II- #338  

3741 Ellison Road Northwest #d
Albuquerque, NM 87114 

Santa Fe - #375 

3533 Zafarano Dr #a6 

Santa Fe, NM 87505

New Visitor
mojoboogie

"That is a telephony type modem so unless you have their CDV telephone service you don't need an eMTA."

-----You are correct.  Been using an ArrisTM602G telephony/modem for the past few years for phone/internet/cable service. Works fine but the current upgrade recommendation is the Arris TM722G. 

"If you do need a eMTA as EG said, check these two stores for Comcast Connection Centers"

West Albuquerque II- #338  

3741 Ellison Road Northwest #d
Albuquerque, NM 87114 

Santa Fe - #375 

3533 Zafarano Dr #a6 

Santa Fe, NM 87505

-----You are correct.  Local stores have Comcast Connection Centers but they do not sell any equipment.

-----So back to the original question. 

Can I purchase a functional modem from another state Connection Center and then install it here in NM myself?  If so, where can I find a list of Connection Centers that sell this modem?

Thank you.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

mojoboogie wrote:

"-----So back to the original question. 

Can I purchase a functional modem from another state Connection Center and then install it here in NM myself?  If so, where can I find a list of Connection Centers that sell this modem?

Thank you.

Be advised that if you purchase an eMTA at retail anywhere, Comcast may not provision it for service in your area unless it is being rented from them and they will likely require a tech  install. I would make sure that your area has a customer owned eMTA policy first.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

It is Best Buy selling the eMTA to the subscribers.  The Comcast agent is involved only to arrange the installation appointment so it doesn't go out the door without a tech appointment to get it installed.

If the Comcast agent says their region isn't selling the eMTA's, then you are probably out of luck until they expand the program which only went live late last fall.

Regular Contributor
jkdood

Does anyone know what area (BestBuy connect centers) are currently selling the TM722G, or if an updated list is published online?

Contributor
mpocampo

This TM722G telephony modem is rare and hard to come by in Illinois.  If you can't get it at your local Best Buy, inquire in the local Best Buy store on which BEST BUY store has it.  As I got off work last Saturday, I inquired at Mundelein Best Buy and said 4 @ Arlington Heights and 1 @ Crystal Lake.  The guy said 4 @ Crystal Lake but I remembered only 1.  I got mine there.  Also I got it installed the same day.  Also you know the Comcast personal are there because of red shirts with the Comcast name embroidered.  Also what I liked about ARRIS TM722G that 2WIRE 2700(now PACE) didn't have that I can now fax now!  Don't even have to ask about the Comcast Connection Center. Just look for Best Buy that carries it and there you find the Comcast personnel.

Regular Contributor
jkdood

HI

Yes I got TM722G for BestBuy by shopping around last month. It is now installed with my TriplePlay. No one said I could fax. How do I do that? Is there a place to sign up, instructions, etc? for faxing?

Thank you! J

Contributor
jwcc

You either have to drop the baud (data transfer) rating until it works, or make sure your VOIP provider (Comcast) and hardware has support for something called 'T38'.  I thought Comcast had FOIP (Fax over IP) but I could be wrong.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+fax has info on fax issues.

Regular Contributor
jkdood

how do I set up my fax machine with XFINITY Voice?

1. First, Comcast recommends that a customer order a second phone line solely for their fax machine. This is because of all of the features attached to the phone line. It is recommended that the customer get a second line without features to connect a fax to. Click here to order a second phone line.

2. Comcast also recommends that the fax and phone number be different.

3. Make sure your fax machine is compatible with XFINITY Voice. Click here for a list of equipment known to have a high probability of errors with XFINITY Voice service.
Connection Expert
Joe

jkdood wrote:

Does anyone know what area (BestBuy connect centers) are currently selling the TM722G, or if an updated list is published online?

This site will be very useful

list of all bestbuy location that will sell the tm722 for comcast

http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Thanks Joe, I didn't know that existed. I also know it's not updated as Comcast took out several Connection Centers by me and they still show up on the list.

Connection Expert
Joe

JayInAlg wrote:

Thanks Joe, I didn't know that existed. I also know it's not updated as Comcast took out several Connection Centers by me and they still show up on the list.

I do not know when list is updated

my bestbuy never had a comcast center

I hope it is being sold at the same location modem and router  are

I will buy one to save money when they come here

New Visitor
mojoboogie

Thank you Joe this Arris site you provided is awesome.

I called the local Best Buy store on the list.

They told me this TM722G modem was not available at their store.

On a lark I decided to go to the store.

In the back was the Comcast booth and the rep set me up with this modem in no time.

I did have several problems trying to connect the modem.

Finally required a sevice call to my house.

Turned out to me a Comcast issue and cost me nothing.

Down side - $150 for the modem.

Connection Expert
Joe

glad to help

Frequent Visitor

You can not buy emta boxes. I work for this company and only the cable companies have access to these boxes. DO NOT BUY ONE ON EBAY!!!!!! these are just stolen unreturned box and you will not be able to use them and just wasted your money.

Regular Contributor
jkdood

They are available legit at many BestBuys.

Networking Expert
Baric

You can buy one, but the only venue I am aware of is the Comcast Kiosk in some Best Buy stores.  I do agree, don't buy on eBay, that's just asking for trouble.

Connection Expert
EG

jkdood wrote:

They are available legit at many some BestBuys.

There. I fixed it for ya. :smileywink:

Connection Expert
EG

OrlandoCC wrote:

You can not buy emta boxes.

You are misinformed...

Regular Contributor
jkdood

Thanks EG for the "fix".   By the way, not all the BestBuys have kiosks, sometimes they are just sitting there next to the DirecTV stuff, for example.  The cashier is cued at check-out to ask if a Comcast account has been set up in conjunction with the purchase, and usually aks to view some appropriate paperwork.

New Visitor
Jill-CCC

To whom it may Concern,

I work for Comcast in the Best Buy Connection center. It's a new program started in Portland, OR and now has moved to some of the stores In CA. You do not need to purchase an EMTA if you do not have Comcast CDV (phone) service. If you don't want to pay the 7.00 leased equipment you can purchase a Modem any where, but that will only work for internet service. If you do have the phone the only option is an emta and right now that runs at 149.99 to purchase. How we do it in the store I am in is, the customer picks up the EMTA inside best buy. We then get on a chat link and Comcast Chat adds the equipment on to the account. You take it home and hook it up make sure it's turned on and then call 1800-Comcast and they will shoot a signal to the EMTA to activate equipment. When you can drop the leased equipment off at any Local office (not best buy) and they will take the 7.00 emta lease of your account. What I was told is CA is the only stores in Best Buy that carries the EMTAs, but I understand that they are working to get more out there. This is a trial basis and if Best Buy is not selling enough of them, we won't have them in stores. I know you can also purchase one through Amazon.com by typing in Aris emta cable modem. I hope this helped some of the questions out there. Thanks for everyone's business, and I apologize for all the frustrations out there. We definitely want to be all on the same page, and trying to make that possible. This is still a new program for the Best Buy store, so there has been tons of confusion what we even do or where we are located. We have HD boxes in store and can set up service, but as far as billing issues and payments we don't have the billing access like our customer care has.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

This is far from a trial or beginning on the west coast.  Comcast Connection Centers in many markets have had the Arris TM722G eMTA's to sell since fall of 2010.  Illinois BB's with Connecton Centers has had eMTA's on the shelves since October after a slight delay.  Other markets started closer to last August.

Check this link from Arris on the stores that have eMTA's available with Comcast Connection Centers.

http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/index.asp

Recognized Contributor
Laurie

here is correct link to arris   http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/index.asp

Connection Expert
EG

Laurie wrote:

here is correct link to arris   http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/index.asp

It's the same thing Laurie...

Recognized Contributor

I had been leasing the TM722G from Comcast since last year, paying the leasing fee, and saw some of them for sale at CompUSA for $120. It was in the same brown box that the rental unit was in. I purchased one three months ago and called Comcast to change MAC addresses over to the purchased unit.

First I was told that I had to talk to billing to remove the lease fee from my account.

After I did that I talked back to Tech Support - which took almost 7 hours and talking to a dozen people - as no one could get the new unit provisioned on my account. They finally were able to get the Cable Modem Internet part working, but the Voice would not provision. So they setup an appointment for a tech to come out.

The tech tried several times on his hand-held unit, and even called the local Dispatch office in Pompano Beach FL and no one could get it to provision. So he ended up having to place another leased unit back onto my account. He suggested that I take it to the Comcast Kiosk at Best Buy to see if they could get it to work, even though I had purchased it at CompUSA (there's no Comcast booth there).

So I went to Best Buy, and they refused to even try and connect it. Even though I showed them the bill of sale, they said it must have "fell off a truck". He also said the ones they sell there are $200, so for CompUSA to sell it for $120 was not right, and they weren't selling the ones in the retail box, just the rental brown box.

In the end, I returned it back to CompUSA and got my $120 back and told them what happend, as I'm back to paying the $7 monthly rental fee.

Due to call the time that was involved, Comcast did give a slight credit on my bill.

At this point, I doubt I'd purcahse the one from Best Buy, since at $200 it would take 28 months just to recoop the cost back. Plus if there's a problem with the unit, you're only covered by the 1-year manufacture warranty.

Connection Expert
EG

It's $148.00 at Best Buy's with Comcast Communication Center. And that is the only game and it's only in certain areas. I'm not surprised that you had a problem with the way you did it. It's their game and they make the rules. Many areas don't allow customer owned eMTA's at all.

Recognized Contributor
Laurie

when i clicked on link above mine it said page not found as they had it originally at arris.com not arrisi.com if you check you will see post was edited to fix the link.

Connection Expert
EG

O/k fair enough. Sorry :smileysad:

Recognized Contributor

EG, if you're saying it's $149 at Best Buy, then I might check back, as they showed it to me there with the price of $199 - but it was 3 months ago. Maybe the price went down $50. The guy said that they never sell, since most people would rather least it at $7/month and have Comcast swap it out if it ever goes bad, instead of paying $199 and only have a 1 year warranty that you have to deal directly with Arris with. Then if anything happens to it after the year, you're out of luck.

Contributor

I think Comcast covers the backup battery on the leased devices too. At least that's what the rep told me. At $150 to buy, I think the $7/mo isn't too unreasonable.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is a list of Best Buy stores that have the Comcast kiosk.  Just enter your zip to find stores nearest to you.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Shop/Retail/RetailStorelocator.html

New Visitor
shart1

Where can I buy one in Pittsburgh as I've been paying $7 a month for 5 years now. I'm really tired of Comcast not giving me options and am about a heartbeat away from calling DirectTV as my monthly Comcast bill is $248.00 a month!!

If someone can help me get a modem for a one time charge I might stick it out with Comcast as I hate change but the next time they screw me I'll GIVE my money to a different company, probably get more and pay way less!

I want that modem so any help would be appreciated - I hear you can only use an Arris TM722G and could someone tell me if that is true or more Comcast screwing me? THANKS to anyone with ACCURATE ANSWERS.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

If you only have Comcast High speed internet without Comcast Digial Voice you can purchase a cable modem most any electronic store.  Look for a Motorola SB6120 or a Zoom 5341.

If you have both Comcast High Speed Internet and Comcast Digital Voice your only choice is a Arris eMTA telephony modem TM722G.  These can only be bought from select Best Buy stores on this LIST that have Comcast Connection Centers, check with the store first as some of these Comcast Connection Centers have closed.  These have Comcast rep's that setup the installation date with a tech visit of the eMTA before you leave the store.  The eMTA is $149.99.  There will be charges from Comcast to switch out  the equipment.

This is done by market area and right now not all markets are doing this. 

It must be a Comcast Connection Center and not the more common Comcast Kiosk which in many stores not manned by Comcast reps.

New Visitor
shart1

I do see the Best Buy at 430 home drive is on the list - it is within 5 miles of my home and I work at the HHGregg right across the street. I can get the modem there, correct. I am upset as I've already paid for at least 4 or 5 of them in my bill and was never told of another choice!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

I just went over the list and saw Pittsburgh.  This has only been going on since last fall, and was rolled out in different markets at different times starting around Sept / Oct.  So it never was an option until the last 6-9 months at the most.

Remember it's a eMTA telephony modem, and not just a cable modem, so you don't get confused on what you are asking for when you go in there.

Looks for the Comcast rep in either a red or black shirt, their hours vary, and might not be there early or late.  Here they work around 11 to 7 or so.

New Visitor
shart1

I hope you guys at Comcast WANT my business enough to make this happen - I will email my account number and you can see that I've been renting a modem about five years at least AND the LOWEST my Comcast BILL EVER WAS IS ABOUT $255 IN A MONTH. I know that I wouldn't want me to talk to any of the competition!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Visitor
shart1

Thank you for your help so far - I can get it there but what ridiculous amount do I have to pay the install Tech to come out? Can I do the install myself?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Most on this forum do not work for Comcast unless their name is in red.  Not many from Comcast watch these posts unless they are flagged.

You will need to talk to the Comcast rep for specific prices on installation as they vary by market.

New Visitor
shart1

I do know that I need a data and voice modem in order to keep the triple play I currently have - if I decided to drop the phone line can I just get a data modem then?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Yes to your last question, and you can install it yourself.

New Visitor
shart1

I really APPRECIATE your help then as Comcast has been beating me up financially for most of my adult life and my kids are spoiled by their internet speeds but I am tired of paying sooo much. Thanks for your help and if you have any further suggestions I'd appreciate those as well!

New Visitor
shart1

Can you give me a guess what the comcast Tech would probably charge to install it?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Here in Chicago, upgrade service requiring a tech visit is $16.  Prices vary widely by market area, but I doubt it would be more than $30.

Regular Contributor
jkdood

in NJ the tech visit was 29.95 for install the arris

New Visitor
shart1

Thanks to all that helped me work thru this issue - this forum is one of the best I've been on as I got REAL answers quickly to all of my questions. I appreciate the help and have saved this site into my favorites for future issues knowing I CAN get the answer here!

Contributor
FrankofAugusta

[ Edited ]

Jill-CCC wrote:

To whom it may Concern,

I work for Comcast in the Best Buy Connection center. It's a new program started in Portland, OR and now has moved to some of the stores In CA. You do not need to purchase an EMTA if you do not have Comcast CDV (phone) service. If you don't want to pay the 7.00 leased equipment you can purchase a Modem any where, but that will only work for internet service. If you do have the phone the only option is an emta and right now that runs at 149.99 to purchase. How we do it in the store I am in is, the customer picks up the EMTA inside best buy. We then get on a chat link and Comcast Chat adds the equipment on to the account. You take it home and hook it up make sure it's turned on and then call 1800-Comcast and they will shoot a signal to the EMTA to activate equipment. When you can drop the leased equipment off at any Local office (not best buy) and they will take the 7.00 emta lease of your account. What I was told is CA is the only stores in Best Buy that carries the EMTAs, but I understand that they are working to get more out there. This is a trial basis and if Best Buy is not selling enough of them, we won't have them in stores. I know you can also purchase one through Amazon.com by typing in Aris emta cable modem. I hope this helped some of the questions out there. Thanks for everyone's business, and I apologize for all the frustrations out there. We definitely want to be all on the same page, and trying to make that possible. This is still a new program for the Best Buy store, so there has been tons of confusion what we even do or where we are located. We have HD boxes in store and can set up service, but as far as billing issues and payments we don't have the billing access like our customer care has.

July 18, 2011 - The Arris TM722 is not sold at Best Buy in Augusta, GA. I looked up Arris.com and called their Corporate Hdq, 678-473-2000. I was informed about the Comcast reps in Best Buy Stores and found a list of Best Buys stores on Arris.com website that sell the Arris modem. I called Best Buy in Atlanta, GA, 678-947-0448 and talked to the full time Comcast rep at that location. (The Comcast rep in Augusta is only on location every two weeks for about 4 hours, and no one seems to know his schedule.) IMPORTANT - The Comcast rep in Atlanta informed me that the Arris TM722 has been recalled due to problems with ohms(?). This modem is the only one that has been certified by Comcast and now it is NOT available. I am now considering unbundling my Comcast phone/internet/cable service and buying an available Motorola modem without voice for $59.

Contributor
mpocampo

About the ohms or impedence. I assume you must live far away from nearest comcast central office. No matter what ohms is your coaxial cable 59 or 75, more resistance builds up the longer the cable extends to central station. 59 is low impedence of better line quality.
Besides rhe TM722G, I have Motorola SBG6580 as a secondary cable modem.
Contributor
FrankofAugusta

Update:

After the Comcast rep at the Best But store in Atlanta told me that the Arris modem 722 was recalled, I contacted the Arris company back again to confirm. The person checked with their Arris engineers and said that the modem was NOT recalled and they are selling hundreds of them. I decided that I had put enough time and energy into this issue and unbundled my voice from Comcast triple play. I put it back with AT&T, and went to Best Buy and purchased a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 for $99. I am now happy with this arrangement in not having to lease a modem from Comcast whose lease went from $5 to $7 in six months. I decided that if I was having this much trouble trying to stay with Comcast voice and the 722, I would provbably have trouble getting it to work if I purchased one. Also, anothe plus is if my electricity goes down, I still have power to my AT&T land line corded phones.