Contributor
JohnnyOCFII
Accepted Solution

Turn off SMCD3GNV All-in-One WiFi?

Greetings,

I recently added CDV to my service (achieving Xfinity Triple Play Nirvana).  They replaced my (owned) Motorola SB6120 Cable Modem with the SMCD3GNV Cable Modem/eMTA/Router/Firewall/WiFi/Switch device.

While it looks to be a pretty good unit (Gig ports, DOCSIS 3.0, 802.11n wireless), I'd just as soon continue using my own router and wireless.

Looking through the administration settings on the SMCD3GNV, I don't see a way to turn off the WiFi radio.  Does anyone know how to turn it off?  No sense in tossing around extra radio waves in the already crowded 2.4 GHz range.

Thanks,

John

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Turn off SMCD3GNV All-in-One WiFi?

Why did they give you that?  Do you pay for the Home Networking service?  I could not find a manual for that device online and have heard some not so good things about it.  My advice, get rid of it.  Have Comcast replace it with a straight E-MTA like the Arris TM722G.  If you like, you can also use your own SB6120 and make the E-MTA phones only while your modem handles the HSI traffic.  In either case, you can run your your own wireless router (or whatever suits your needs).

Contributor
JohnnyOCFII

I don't pay for Home Networking.  

I don't know why Comcast gave me the SMC box.  I'd wish they'd give the customers a menu of options to select from (I would have requested something like the Arris TM722G) but they don't.  It has an Xfinity logo on the front, so perhaps they are trying to standardize on a box that can do everything that they can install everywhere to limit the number of different devices their techs have to learn to support.

If Comcast made it easy to swap equipment, I would, but as far as I know, I'd have to have another tech visit, and I'd have to pay for it, not to mention staying home for half a day, which is beyond the level of hassle for having the extra "features."

If they let me self-swap, I'd gladly stop by the Comcast office and pick up a different box, or better yet, buy my own, but they don't seem to make either of those options easy for customers.

So - if someone does know how to turn off the WiFi, I'd appreciate it, otherwise, with the addition of a few port-forwards (which seem to work fine) I'll probably stick with the SMC.   I set the SMC to channel 11 (2.462 GHz) and my home WiFi router is on channel 1 (2.412 GHz) to at least move any likely interference as far away as possible.

Thanks,

John

New Visitor
xhen

you can't turn it off, that feature is locked.

Contributor
JohnnyOCFII

Seems to the case. Now I wonder if there is a good way to request an option to disable it.
Contributor

Try contacting Greg Fisher, mentioned in the article below. It's doubtful anyone at Comcast will consider this a real problem. But, Mr. Fisher might understand - if he isn't annoyed about you contact him!

http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/feb-1-2011-smc-adds-innovative-emta-features-smcd3gnv-8x4-voice-gat...®-packetcabletm-20

For me, I put my original router at the other end of the house and used Netgear PowerLine adapters to get it on the network.

The SSID and wireless security settings are set the same on both access points.

My orig router is connected to the PowerLine adapter via a LAN port.

To avoid conflicts:

Channel: 11 on SMC, 1 on original router

IP address: Set the one on the orig router to end in .2 vs. the .1 I had set on the SMC.

DHCP disabled on the orig router.

Now my whole house has coverage, which the SMC alone was unable to provide (seems much weaker than my original router).

Cheers.

-Lyle

Contributor
JohnnyOCFII

Thanks for your reply.

I did have a kind soul from Comcast contact me directly and he was able to turn it off from the Comcast side of things.

John

Contributor

Very interesting! Thanks for the update.

I have to wonder what other hidden features there are. If this unit did WDS it would really help make up for the limited wireless range.

All the best,

Lyle

Contributor

Sorry. Just saw that the link I posted isn't working. This should work:

http://tinyurl.com/3nmks3r

-Lyle

New Visitor
Yonaga

I just switched back to Comcast XF after three years with FiOS...long story.

They gave me a SMCD3GNV gateway/router also even though I was told I would have to use a separate wireless router which they had sent me by UPS.  I had a NetGear N600 already which I had set up for my home network and remote NetFlix streaming to my TiVO, so I had planned to use it anyway.  So I now have the TiVO with cable card and a Motorola DCX3400...almost enough tuners so my wife and I don't cancel each other's recordings!

It's a bit of a poor design that you can't turn off the wireless feature of the SMCD3GNV without external help, but what you can do is turn off SSID broadcasting.  On the other hand, if the NetGear gives up one day....

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Yonaga wrote:

It's a bit of a poor design that you can't turn off the wireless feature of the SMCD3GNV without external help, but what you can do is turn off SSID broadcasting.  On the other hand, if the NetGear gives up one day....

How will that help ? That is not the same as disabling the wireless radio. Just because the broadcast beacon is turned off there is still a RF carrier transmission present.

New Visitor
slavikm

Hmmm... I wonder if there is another kind soul in Comcast that can do the same service for me. Spent the last 2 hours talking with Comcast technicians without any progress.

Slavik

New Visitor
scot800

I assumed my old "smaller" modem wasnt working, speed was all over the place.  So I took it into comcast and they gave me the "big" SMcd3gnv. 

I have a netgear wireless N dualband router that I just bought a month ago.  This thing reaches down the street. I want to use my own router and not the router function of this all-in-one.

After 4 calls to comcast, one where I was routed to India to speak with SMC where was told they were not authorized to disable the SMC router.  Comcast says they cant do it, I read on here they can. 

I get it this, the  all in one is for new people to the service who have nothing.  But I bet alot of people want to use their own  router.  Comcast better figure this out.  I feel like they say they are going to transfer me to the correct person to make me feel good and then i'm back to the main menu before I know it.  I 'm writing this while I am on hold for the fifth time.

I am very disapointed. 

New Visitor
slavikm

A quick update - Twitter actually works! I twitted my disapointment, made sure to direct to @comcastcares and 10 minutes later my modem was in bridge mode.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

-

If you need your modem in bridge mode we can do this. I check your account and I didn't see your modem online as of now. Please let me know.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor
JohnnyOCFII

I'd also like to request my device be set to bridging mode, assuming that doesn't cause any issues with the eMTA functions.  I didn't realize that was an option when I asked to turn off the WiFi radio.

Please let me know how best to request this, if this message isn't enough.

Thanks.

John

Contributor
JohnnyOCFII

I see now that the online manual refers to having the Comcast technician enable Bridge Mode if you would like.  I'm surprised that the technician installing mine (seeing that he made it work with my router) didn't ask if I just wanted bridge mode in the first place.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/userguides/Wireless_Gateway_User_Guide_030811....

I get the sense this is a fairly new product and maybe the technician wasn't aware of the Bridge mode capability.

Visitor
kassak

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Like many others from this forum thread I am having hugh issues getting in contact with the "right" person at Comcast that will put my modem in bridge mode. The first tier support guy finds the document in Comcast's database on how to do it, but apparently at their level they don't have the correct permissions as the button they need is missing. Elevating it to group (Denver I believe he said) that is supposed be able to do it has gone nowhere with the more common explaination that you had to have it done when the installer was here, which we all know is not the case.

Any chance you could take pity on my case and help me get this done.

Kerry

Thanks a ton for any help you can provide.

Visitor
MrJerry

I have the same weak signal issue with the SMCD3GNV. Called support - they suggested buying a router and have the modem bridged. Bought NetGear 600 - installed - much stronger signal. Called support to have the SMCD device bridged.  After the usual runaround, a Tech told me go to admin page - uncheck "Enable SSID Broadcast" and uncheck whatever was written on the line immediately below. I told her there was no line below - and after some research - she told me that my unit cannot be bridged!!!!

I told the tech based on this forum I was under the impression that bridging could only be done remotely by Comcast.  She agian repeated my unit cannot be bridged over. Is this in fact correct??  Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance, Jerry

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

MrJerry wrote:
Called support to have the SMCD device bridged.  After the usual runaround, a Tech told me go to admin page - uncheck "Enable SSID Broadcast" and uncheck whatever was written on the line immediately below. I told her there was no line below - and after some research - she told me that my unit cannot be bridged!!!!

I told the tech based on this forum I was under the impression that bridging could only be done remotely by Comcast.  She agian repeated my unit cannot be bridged over. Is this in fact correct??  Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance, Jerry

The CSR's were wrong. They are not techs. Just disabling the SSID broadcast is not putting the device in to bridge mode. When they don't know how to do things, they sometimes make stuff up just to get you off of the phone. You need a rep that knows how to do it. Try again and keep trying until you get one. Ask for a supervisor. I know it's a pain and people should not have to go through this...

Look a few posts back. The forum Admin here ComcastLarry can do this. Send him a Private Message. He may not respond until Tuesday.

Visitor
MrJerry

Thanks for your input EG. Jerry

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

O/k bud. No worries. Good luck with it ! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
hhernandez1230

The fact you had to do this is horrible.

Visitor
MrJerry

Traded SMC Gateway for Ubee telemodem - happy with wireless connectivity!!  Thanks.

New Visitor
cepheid

THIS!

I tweeted the same issue and ComcastMichael replied within minutes. Just needed my service address and a few minutes later he had the wifi turned off. Amazing. Comcast DOES have some knowledgable people, but rarely at the front lines.

So frustrating to do business with them when one has to dig for competent technical support. But it's there.

New Visitor
lmetten

I had the same experience.... thought getting my old arris cable model replaced with newer wireless device will eliminate need for my wireless router. 

Very positive was that my internet speed appears to have gone up significantly (I did not change service, just added another phone line) so my old modem appears to have dragged this a bit.

But the wireless connection in next room was already shaky.

After I read this I called the Comcast Tech person (they left direct number) and he advised to just hook up my old wireless router to second LAN Port.

When I mentioned potential signal conflicts he said most dont see these issues.
I tried that, did not change any config on comcast router/model nor my 'old' n+ Belkin wireless router. And result was that I could get internet over both now with similar speed. Now I have two wireless networks going. Is this an issue? When I mentioned 'bridging' he said that does not need to be done to achieve what I wanted to do. Comments?

New Visitor
lmetten

ok, now a few days later I cannot get internet access via the connected wireless router... was already surprised this would work so easily. Will give the tech guy a call tomorrow. Probably better to just get a cable model instead of hoping comcast would provide a wireless router which covers a 2 story thin wall house...

New Visitor

I had this equipment installed a couple days ago with an upgrade to triple play including phone service and I will say from the start it was the the most miserable experience I've had with Comcast in recent memory.

The xfinity emta comes factory enabled for wifi, which means the Ethernet ports are being assigned NAT addresses. In this configuration, basically the WAN address of the emta is hidden. If you have existing wireless routers that are distributing addresses to your home network it will not work by default with the emta. The easiest solution is to disable wifi in the emta, but Comcast, in their infinite wisdom omit that feature from the setup, so you have to call customer support. If CSR says you can't disable wifi, ask for a supervisor, because the CSRs don't know anything and often give out bad information. I had one tier 2 CSR actually transfer me to the support sales group on the assumption that I need a paid support contract.

Bottom line, the emta can be configured to disable wifi and operate in bridge mode, but I has to be done from Comcast, and you need to find someone with the actual knowledge of this equipment to do so. Once done, your own wifi and routing equipment can resume their existing roles in your home network.

One other thing I ran into was, after reconfiguring the emta and confirming that I was seeing the public wifi with my computer connected via Ethernet, I disconnected the computer and connected the wifi router, but could not get an address on the wifi router from the emta! Neither could i get an address with any other computer connected to the emta's ethernet. As it turns out, a supervisor sent to my home by a sympathetic support rep arrived just then confirmed that any time I add new devices to the emta it needs to be reset!! So I hooked up my wifi router (apple airport extreme), and rebooted the emta and the airport together. Once the emta came back up it recognized the router and assigned it the wan address as expected. After that the rest of my home network had full web access.

The moral of this story is that Comcast needs to train their people much better when rolling out new equipment, work on their customer skills, and anticipate things like customers who already have established home network configurations and be prepared to channel those calls to more knowledgeable support staff.

I'm not holding my breath on any of that happening.
New Visitor
rkunati

Comcast has terrible customer service.

1. Why would they choose to prevent the customer from enabling from within the UI?

2. If they were going to make it so that you had to call and have this feature enabled centrally, why heck do the "techs" not know what I'm talking about. I feel like I'm giving them a basic lesson in Networking 101 and all they are giving me is stupid questions and a run around.

3. A tech I just spoke to told me that I do not have a tech service subscription and needed to bill me 49.95 in order to have the issue addressed. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he disconnected me. 

4. I called back and spoke to "Shonda". Granted, I was rather irate at this point, but again I found no help. She said she spoke to her supervisor who advised her that the bridge mode feature is not allowed for

residential customers and that she could not enable it. 

I cannot fathom that this is true. If it is, why are there people in this forum/post getting the feature enabled by an apparently rogue tech? If it is not true and there is only a handful of techs that know what they are talking about, why does comcast waste so much of my time by having me speak with these uneducated / lying techs? I am very very upset at this point, and about five minutes away from switching to FiOS if I don't get a call back from someone who actually knows what they are talking about! At this point all I have is a confirmation code (254605) for a call back from Ms. Jackie: the supervisor that apparently told the tech that this was not allowed for comcast residential customers. So i'm sure that callback is going to do nothing more than aggravate me more.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

Try sending a Private Message to ComcastLarry who posted earlier in this thread. He is not a "rogue tech". He is the Forum Administrator and can get this done for you hassle free.

Here's a link to shoot him a message;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4671561

New Visitor
rkunati

Right, i didn't mean to insult him or really imply that he was a rogue tech. I was being sarcastic and making the point that he clearly knows that this is possible and not against policy, yet so many techs and supervisors are essentially lying to customers...

I PM'd him right after my post... btw, I still haven't gotten this "callback"... more terrible service...

Connection Expert
EG

Good luck with it ! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
Aceball

So can anyone tell me if enabling bridge mode will disable the VOIP function of the SMC?

Networking Expert
Baric

Aceball wrote:

So can anyone tell me if enabling bridge mode will disable the VOIP function of the SMC?

Placing the SMCD3GNV in bridge mode DOES NOT affect the eMTA function, so your phones are work as normal.

New Visitor
jackman_family

[ Edited ]

Did anyone figure out how to do this successfully?  I just got a unit today and I'd like to:

1) disable routing; reconfigure to bridge mode only

2) disable Wi-Fi

I have a full network already with all of these features that I don't want to reconfigure.

Thanks!!

Contributor
JohnnyOCFII

From what I've seen in this thread, these are not user configurable items, but that certain Comcast engineers can access your SMC device remotely and complete the tasks.  Search up-thread for the names of some of the folks people were able to contact successfully.

John

Connection Expert
EG

jackman_family wrote:

Did anyone figure out how to do this successfully?  I just got a unit today and I'd like to:

1) disable routing; reconfigure to bridge mode only

2) disable Wi-Fi

I have a full network already with all of these features that I don't want to reconfigure.

Thanks!!

Have you read this thread ?

Connection Expert
EG

JohnnyOCFII wrote:

From what I've seen in this thread, these are not user configurable items, but that certain Comcast engineers can access your SMC device remotely and complete the tasks.  Search up-thread for the names of some of the folks people were able to contact successfully.

John

FWIW, they are not "engineers", nor do they need to be..

Contributor

Hi i have this SMCD3GNV modem and was wondering if i can get it re-bridged. I was having problems with the modem and had to reset it and lost the bridge mode.

Thanks

Connection Expert
EG

bmagic wrote:

Hi i have this SMCD3GNV modem and was wondering if i can get it re-bridged. I was having problems with the modem and had to reset it and lost the bridge mode.

Thanks

You can call in to request this or when in doubt, shoot a private message to ComcastLarry as per the link in message #30 in this thread.

Visitor

This SMCD3GNV is new to me.  Was wondering what that bridge mode was for? Later.

Connection Expert
EG

TM-2 wrote:

This SMCD3GNV is new to me.  Was wondering what that bridge mode was for? Later.

It is done in order to turn off the router portion of the device and to turn it in to a basic plain vanilla cable modem with which one's own separate router can be used. Using two daisey chained routers can cause possible complications/difficulties with the configuration/performance of one's home network due to the introduction of a "double NAT" (Network Address Translation) condition.

Visitor

Thanks for the clarification.  Makes me think that is why some in forum talk about turning off SMCD3GNV's Wifii possibly to avoid it along with rounters' signals being radiated at the same time.  Not sure why not just using the SMCD3GNV wifii.  Does the bridge mode turn off the SMCD3GNV's wifii?  There must be a reason some prefer using their router.  Later.

Networking Expert
Baric

Yes, placing the gateway in bridge mode does disable the WiFi function, which is part of the router component that is disabled.  In bridge mode, the device is purely an EMTA (cable modem with telephone support for Xfinity Voice service).  No router, no NAT, no firewall, no wireless, no DHCP server, just a cable modem and telephones.

The reason so many use bridge mode (which I highly recommend) is that the SMCD3GNV is a trully AWFUL wireless access point.  It has very poor range and performance and it doesn't work well for many users.  If you have no wireless needs, the router itself seems to work reasonably well, as does the cable modem, but it has many missing features on the user interface, including the ability to disable the wireless signal, it has a combined firmware that is NOT user upgradable, it seems to have trouble in some port forwarding situations, the firewall is overly locked down by default for outgoing connections (this can be changed, but requires user action), no ability to add hard coded routes, etc.  All in all this is a poor device.  My best advice, get rid of it entirely, if that's not feasible, then at least have it placed in bridge mode and get your own router.

New Visitor
klthomley

EG is absolutely right!  I clicked the link he shared.  Sent a message to ComcastLarry and within probably 2 hours max, he took care of the wireless router portion of the SMCD3GNV.  Thanks ComcastLarry and thanks EG for the help!

Connection Expert
EG

Happy surfing ! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
realspear

Did Comcast change the default configuration on this device?  I picked one up today, it was the only EMTA with Docsis 3.0 that they have, and it worked fine with my internet immediately, and it is putting out the wi-fi, which I haven't tried.  So I don't seem to be in bridge mode but it works fine with my own router.

Connection Expert
EG

realspear wrote:

So I don't seem to be in bridge mode but it works fine with my own router.

Sooner or later the troubles of double NAT'ing may reveal its ugly head to your home network/LAN.

New Visitor
realspear

I had an unrelated problem, comcast came out and gave me a new EMTA modem with no gateway in it.  I guess that's the end of that...

Networking Expert
Baric

[ Edited ]

Count yourself well rid of that gateway!  Less headaches all the way around...