New Visitor
Koryu87
Accepted Solution

Twitch.tv stability issues.

I know this is a common problem, but it's been happening more and more lately.  The thing is that i've had problems watching streams in high quality, but when I switch to my poor 6mb ATT connection that I use for business the stream works perfectly fine.  I'm watching from the same device, so why is my 20mb down connection having problems while my 6mb slow connection works fine?  I'd like answers please.

Bronze Star Contributor
Dramabomb

Re: Twitch.tv stability issues.

You aren't going to like this, but I'll give it to you straight: You will not win this battle.

I fought for 6+ months to figure out why I couldn't stream to Twitch, and why Twitch streams were unreliable to watch. I got as far as getting in touch with the VP of Customer Fulfillment and getting our maintenance supervisors personal cell phone number for contact. I've had every wire in my home replaced, every line from the tap to the CMTS checked and replaced if needed, and they even replaced a bad blade in the CMTS. Issues persisted...and then one day...it all stopped. It was right around the time we got the speed boost to 55/11mbps, and also right around the time Twitch completed their data center upgrades for the east coast.

I fought, and fought, and fought. Twitch said it was Comcast. Comcast said it was Twitch. I was hung up on by Comcast multiple times as I tried to discuss throttling. My suggestion to you is to just deal with it. You aren't going to win. There is a fixed bandwidth pipe between Comcast and Level3.net (the CDN for Twitch.tv.) During peak hours everyone is fighting for that fixed amount of bandwidth. Comcast says Level3.net should pay for upgrading the pipe, Level3.net says Comcast should pay for it. Until one of them step up to the plate, the problems will continue.

New Visitor
Irre

Wow that is absolutely outrageous..  This problem is going to only get worse as more people tune into live streaming and with the new gaming consoles.  I am on the verge of cancelling most everything i have from comcast because twitch is becoming unwatchable, and I spend a large amount of time on the PC watching it.  Very upset customer right here!

Contributor
jacobschneid

Twitch has become completely useless for me over the last few weeks.  I am virtually certain that it is on Comcasts end.  I have witnessed flawless steaming at friends' and family members' houses with different ISPs with lesser connections, while at the same time the streams are unwatchable even at the lowest possible quality.  Just months ago, I had zero problems.  Over the last several weeks the problem has become more prevelant and now the site is unusable.

New Visitor
vidroth

Same problem here. And it's aggravating. I'm paying a fortune for high-speed Internet. Not high-speed connections to certain approved addresses.

I want to like Comcast. But they have to know they only have me over a barrel until another provider comes to my city with high-speed Internet I can switch to. And then it will be too late for them to make friends again.

New Visitor
Kernalwompums

Same issues here. I get well over 100 mbps down but cannot stream 720p. This is ridiculous.

Contributor
jacobschneid

Yes, it's infuriating.  It's obviosly not a bandwidth issue and I've used twitch at other homes and my place of work, using different ISP and none of them suffered the same issue.  It's a service I've come to use extensively and now it has become unusable.  I pay way too much a month to accept this type of service.

Contributor
VA50

Came here to complain about it, glad it's not just me. I can monitor exactly how much bandwidth my computer is using in realtime, and when I open a 720+ stream, it's struggles to use half a megabit. HALF. A. MEGA. BIT. I'm getting roughly 1/45th of the service I pay for. I know of at least 2 other people who refuse to switch to Comcast only because they are aware of this issue. Word of mouth gets around, not to mention the various other issues I am still having with Comcast.

Contributor
ut_man

[ Edited ]

I am having the same exact problem described here, but I can prove that Comcast is throttling the connection.

I have the 50Mbps download plan, and I cannot watch even a 720p without major lag. It even sometimes lags on 480p. With my VPN connected, I can watch two 1080p streams with no lag whatsoever. If I turn off the VPN and try again, it starts freezing up and acts like I have 1.5Mbps internet.

This is completely unacceptable, and I will be filing a net neutrality complaint with the FCC along with all the evidence I have collected so far. Comcast should not be getting away with charging so much, and limiting my connection artificially to certain websites.

EDIT: Use this FCC form to file a complaint: https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000F

New Visitor
CrashCat

It's gone way downhill in just the previous week or so, too.   I enjoyed watching Twitch for many months before and just suffered through the couple of hours in primetime when everything choked, but currently it's 1 AM and I get stuttering on a Twitch stream that's been transcoded down to 240p (their lowest setting).  That's just ridiculous, and no other streaming video site is giving me that problem. 

Contributor
ut_man

As always, no reply from anyone that matters.

Whoever mentioned consoles earlier is dead on. This is going to be a huge problem for a ton of Comcast customers once the Xbox One comes out. It will be directly hooked into Twitch.tv for streaming and broadcasting. Once Microsoft has to get involved along with Twitch, Comcast is going to be in big trouble. I'm hoping the FCC will also get involved soon.

Contributor
Fiddlesnarf

ut_man wrote:

I am having the same exact problem described here, but I can prove that Comcast is throttling the connection.

I have the 50Mbps download plan, and I cannot watch even a 720p without major lag. It even sometimes lags on 480p. With my VPN connected, I can watch two 1080p streams with no lag whatsoever. If I turn off the VPN and try again, it starts freezing up and acts like I have 1.5Mbps internet.

This is completely unacceptable, and I will be filing a net neutrality complaint with the FCC along with all the evidence I have collected so far. Comcast should not be getting away with charging so much, and limiting my connection artificially to certain websites.

EDIT: Use this FCC form to file a complaint: https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000F

A BBB complaint works too.

Regular Contributor

ut_man wrote:

This doesn't prove that Comcast is purposely throttling the service. It just shows that your VPN provider has a different pipe to Twitch. As someone mentioned before:

Dramabomb wrote:

There is a fixed bandwidth pipe between Comcast and Level3.net (the CDN for Twitch.tv.) During peak hours everyone is fighting for that fixed amount of bandwidth.

Bronze Star Contributor
Dramabomb

Some good discussion here, even if it's a little misguided.

The BBB has about as much relevance as McDonalds in this situation. Filing a complaint through them will do nothing. FCC complaints may generate some heat, but nothing will change. This is a Level3 issue and also a Comcast issue, but as I've previously stated, both of them will have to agree to do something about it.

Let's be realistic, they won't. The whole situation is unacceptable, but you will not win. I've fought this battle before, and Comcast designs it's support system to run you in circles. I've had Comcast network engineers hang up on me and REFUSE to speak to me as soon as I mentioned the word throttling. Comcast was already brought to court over ghost packeting/throttling and lost the case. It's a sore subject with them. 

My suggestion to all of you that are suffering is to find another ISP. You will receive no help from this company. I know it stinks to hear this, but I'd rather be honest. Google Fiber is coming, and pretty soon, Comcast will cease to be relevant as well. 

Contributor
ut_man

[ Edited ]

We will not be silenced, and we will not give up. Comcast makes money because people subscribe to their service. I will keep posting on every public forum I can find to let people know the problems I have with this ISP. The only way to make sure something never happens, is to give in and be okay with the situation. I am not okay with this situation. I pay $50+ a month for internet that _SHOULD_ stream up to at least TWO 1080p streams at all times.

Again, this is unacceptable. The BBB has nothing to do with the FCC, I have no idea why you even mention them. The FCC specifically enforces net neutrality. Comcast is doing the exact thing that we consumers need to protect ourselves from. Anyone having this same issue needs to keep this thread alive by posting more info and proof, report their problems to the FCC, call customer service. Use up as much Comcast resources as you can getting them to address this problem. The more they realize we will NOT stand for this, the more they will be forced to fix the underlying issue.

Have you seen the ads that companies like Comcast and DirecTV run when the content creators try to force their hand into a terrible deal? They ask the consumers to tell everyone, and contact the company. This needs to happen the same exact way.

Bronze Star Contributor
Dramabomb

[ Edited ]

Good luck, buddy. I've been in your shoes and fought that fight. You can check my previous threads if you want to know more about what I ended up doing. I mentioned the BBB because someone else did. 

Start a thread on DSL Reports, too. If you want to get it noticed, e-mail a link to this thread, the DSL Reports one, and any other information to the ComcastCares Twitter and have them contact your local office. Calling the 1-800 Comcast number is useless. You will get nowhere. The reps aren't trained. The way I got my service restored to working order is by working with Engineering for over 5 months, over 6 tech visits to my home, multiple maintenance truck rolls, and finally ending with the Supervisor of Customer Fulfillment/Area Maintenance's personal cell phone number to call when I have a problem. It took me a total of 6 1/2 months to get anywhere. I also filed complaints with my Board of Public Utilities and with my Mayor. 

The end result? I'm almost 100% stable now, but I'm still switching to FIOS in about 2 months. What I had to go through is far beyond what any customers should have to deal with. 

Official Employee
jlivingood

Feel free to post a traceroute when this is occuring and we'll take a look.

JL
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Bronze Star Contributor
Dramabomb

^^^ Where were you when I had a 4-5 page thread filled with documentation of my issues and nothing was being done? Haha. 

Contributor
jacobschneid

A support representative at twitch.tv says the follow about using traceroutes to troubleshoot the issue:

FYI: Traceroutes do not help troubleshoot viewer issues because we block ICMP. The only user type that can be helped by traceroutes are broadcasters.

Contributor
jacobschneid

Here it is anyway:

C:\Users\JAKE>tracert twitch.tv

Tracing route to twitch.tv [199.9.250.76]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms READYSHARE [10.0.0.1]
2 20 ms 28 ms 20 ms 174.60.100.1
3 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms te-0-7-0-2-sur01.williamsport.pa.pitt.comcast.ne
t [68.85.43.221]
4 19 ms 15 ms 15 ms te-0-9-0-3-ar03.lancaster.pa.pitt.comcast.net [6
9.139.195.221]
5 24 ms 23 ms 28 ms be-1-ar03.mckeesport.pa.pitt.comcast.net [68.86.
147.105]
6 26 ms 35 ms 35 ms he-4-6-0-0-cr01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net [68
.86.94.169]
7 28 ms 34 ms 27 ms unknown.Level3.net [63.210.62.33]
8 29 ms 28 ms 39 ms vlan51.ebr1.Washington12.Level3.net [4.69.146.19
0]
9 29 ms 32 ms 28 ms ae-8-8.ebr1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.143.217
]
10 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms ae-91-91.csw4.Washington1.Level3.net [4.69.134.1
42]
11 44 ms 59 ms 28 ms ae-4-90.edge2.Washington4.Level3.net [4.69.149.2
08]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, the trace at that moment in time is not revealing any excess latency or packet loss issues.

Contributor
jacobschneid

I don't believe the trace reaches the destination because they are blocking ICMP, like I mentioned in my prior post, so the bad hop isn't included in the trace route.

Bronze Star Contributor
Dramabomb

Contributor
ut_man

[ Edited ]

See, being persistent and making a lot of noise will eventually do something. You just can't give up because one person can't get through. It's a big company with a lot of customers, we need tons of support tickets, support calls, forums posts, etc. to keep this on the radar. Hopefully Comcast can actually sit down with Twitch or L3 and do something about this. It's also not *when* this happens, it is happening ALL the time, day or night.

As it has been mentioned, ICMP is blocked so the hops after the Dallas Level3 connection are timing out.

Tracing route to twitch.tv [199.9.250.76]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms    <1 ms  **MY_ROUTER** [**MY_IP**]
  2    35 ms    28 ms    29 ms  98.202.56.1
  3    15 ms    14 ms    11 ms  te-0-0-0-5-sur01.ogden.ut.utah.comcast.net [68.8
5.39.217]
  4    13 ms    31 ms    27 ms  te-0-7-0-5-ar03.saltlakecity.ut.utah.comcast.net
 [68.86.180.77]
  5    28 ms    31 ms    27 ms  pos-0-9-0-0-cr01.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68
.86.90.233]
  6    25 ms    30 ms     *     4.79.82.57
  7    40 ms    38 ms    39 ms  vlan51.ebr1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.147.94]
  8    41 ms    47 ms    42 ms  ae-2-2.ebr2.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.132.106]
  9    42 ms    40 ms    37 ms  ae-62-62.csw1.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.151.129]

10    69 ms    39 ms    37 ms  ae-1-60.edge4.Dallas3.Level3.net [4.69.145.13]
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

My modem stats too if someone can comment on them, they look like they are in good ranges to me:

Contributor
VA50

ut_man,

Just an FYI, where you wrote 

you only blocked the address that your router is using. Line 2 is your actual IP address assigned to your cable modem. Everyone with a router has a 192.168.0.1 address that is locally used. If you're worried about showing your IP address, block Line 2. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
ut_man

I know, I have a custom setup. My IP isn't static so if I have problems with people hitting that, I can ask for a new one, or just turn off the modem for long enough.

Not everyone is sitting on the 192.168 subnet.

Contributor
VA50

True, but most people are. You're apparently a special case.

Networking Expert
kevj

[ Edited ]

VA50 wrote:

ut_man,

you only blocked the address that your router is using. Line 2 is your actual IP address assigned to your cable modem. Everyone with a router has a 192.168.0.1 address that is locally used. If you're worried about showing your IP address, block Line 2. :smileyhappy:

Line 2 in a typical tracert from behind a Comcast connections shows the IP of the gateway for the subnet your public IP is in, not the IP assigned to your modem. If you don't hide line 2, all anyone might be able to easily figure out is the address block your public IP is assigned from, not your actual IP. To get your IP would be a bit of trial and error...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Official Employee
jlivingood

Thanks for the info - having folks look at it. 

JL
Connection Expert
EG

VA50 wrote:

ut_man,

FWIW, that's incorrect. Cable  modems are layer 2 bridges, they don't show up in traces. Hop # 2 is the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

Contributor
ut_man

I'm still having streaming issues today. 480p streams lagging, my 2 bar LTE can stream better than this.

ShaperProbe results:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.251.162.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11326 Kbps.
Downstream: 116063 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 11088 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 55253 Kbps.

As you can see, my speeds are exactly where they need to be.

Contributor
VA50

[ Edited ]

Ah, today I learned something. 

jlivingood wrote:

Thanks for the info - having folks look at it. 

THANK YOU!!

Contributor
jacobschneid

I just want to confirm that this is still an ongoing issue.  The problem remains as prevalent as when I posted earlier.  I've contacted support, again to rehighlight the issue but I have little hope anything will be done.  Twitch staff has expressed an eagerness to work with Comcast.  Is Comcast willing to start a dialog with Twitch?  This is a matter of providing acceptable service to your paying customers.  In most industries that is something worth considering.  

Official Employee
jlivingood

[ Edited ]

jacobschneid wrote:

Is Comcast willing to start a dialog with Twitch?   

Twitch and Comcast are indeed aware of and discussing things.

JL
Contributor
jacobschneid

Well that is a little encouraging.  No one wants to see this issue addressed more than myself.

Contributor
VA50

jacobschneid wrote:

No one wants to see this issue addressed more than myself.

Right there with you.

Contributor
ut_man

jlivingood wrote:

jacobschneid wrote:

Is Comcast willing to start a dialog with Twitch?   

Some more transparency in this process would go a long ways for your customers. I feel like I shouldn't have to tell this to a company as large as Comcast. Yet, we get nothing until we post a on an obscure forum that most customers never come to.

New Visitor
Dynasty3310

There is an interesting article dated early this year about comcast "prioritizing" data. At the time of the article is was determined that comcast has about 5 categories to "label" your incoming data. It so happens that the Twitch.tv and justin.tv data was being categorized at the lowest category which basically means, everything else gets dibs on bandwidth while data in this lowest category gets all the scraps. Meanwhile, any "in house" data like from xfinity app for mobile devices or on the computer gets the highest category to allocate all the bandwidth to that data. It is an interesting article that was in hot litigation at the time. Dunno what ever came of it. 

Visitor

+1 to this thread, twitch.tv has been unwatchable for a few weeks now here in the north east.

Contributor
mtlam

Hopefully things get resolved, can barely watch anything on twitch these days.

New Visitor
Bwhips

Agreed  Living in CT Twitch.tv was fine two-three weeks ago im 720P+ streams now I can barely watch 480P. Would love to hear if any headway has been made by comcast and twitch

New Visitor
jwilson831

So this issue with Comcast / Twitch wouldn't necessarily affect Verizon Fios, correct? Because this is a pretty good reason to switch.

New Visitor
djcrs1

[ Edited ]

After struggling all evening to watch the MLG starcraft tourney on Twitch, I finally googled "best free vpn" and downloaded the first one. I connected back to twitch and all my problems are gone. It is hilarious and sad that Comcast won't admit or address this problem for paying (not for long) customers.

PS. I used to watch multiple concurrent HD streams on Twitch with my ISP in Miami Beach, Atlantic Broadband, before I moved here to Atlanta a month ago. That low-budget company didn't do any traffic shaping and I never had any problems. Shame on you giant Comcast for being so decisively outperformed by such a low tech service!

New Visitor
Exiler

I just did the same exact thing and downloaded the best free VPN off google. After not being able to watch any twitch.tv stream even on 240p, with the temporary private tunnel program running, I've got 5 720p stream running right now and none of them are lagging. Can anyone explain to me what the meaning of all this is???? The vpn will only give me a certain amount of mb, but I'd like to be able to watch twitch without any lag whatsoever like I've been for years now instead of being fed garbage after paying over 100 bucks a month for this service just to have streams lag.

New Visitor
Exiler

[ Edited ]

re: djcrs1
- Figures, I skimmed across something about level 3 as well. It's really frustrating that the only time I was able to watch a stream without lag was during the 100 mb trial of a VPN. Anywho, I wonder how many others are being effected by this exact thing especially if its around the north eastern area where I am or elsewhere, even better. I'm glad it's not just me, hopefully this gets straightened out soon, Comcast.

Edit: And I also was able to watch multiple 720+ and 1080+ streams all at once before this started about a week ago without any lag at 30mbps download from Comcast. Now , I can't watch anything on twitch. The overall inet speeds are the same, it's just Twitch.tv, and there's no signs of anyone else dealing with the lag other than me googling and looking through these threads. Thanks for listening.

Contributor
ut_man

Exiler wrote:

Anywho, I wonder how many others are being effected by this exact thing especially if its around the north eastern area where I am or elsewhere, even better. I'm glad it's not just me, hopefully this gets straightened out soon, Comcast.

Opening up a VPN connection instantly fixes the issue for everyone I have talked to. This is happening to all Comcast subscribers, no matter the area.

I am glad to see a lot of MLG viewers showing up here and letting Comcast know that this is not acceptable. Please keep posting if you have any issues. We all pay for plenty of speed to be able to view high quality HD streams.

Welcome to 2013, Comcast. HD video streaming is not going anywhere. Your subscribers sure will if you don't fix it though.

Contributor
dotsoncs

[ Edited ]

Another dissatisfied Comcast customer here.  MLG is unwatchable on anything above 480p and even then it's still choppy at times.  Traceroutes look fine (<50ms all the way through to the ICMP blackhole) to twitch but there's an obvious issue on this (Comcast) side.  My Verizon hotspot can pull the 720p stream without issue.

I've written MLG to inform them that - due to no fault of there own - I won't be resubscribing after the Spring Championship. 

Contributor
anjunaxbeats

[ Edited ]

Yeah,

This is starting to get a bit frustrating and is really gaining awareness within the community (multiple people reporting issues with Comcast's services in regards to Twitch.tv).

Not sure what happened but it was like night and day about a month ago - I was viewing just fine then the next day it's just been utterly trash. This is 2013. 

Hopefully we can get a bit of transparency about what's going on and what steps are being taken to resolve this. I don't mind putting up with it while it's addressed but I won't be strung along forever. 

Official Employee
jlivingood

jlivingood wrote:

Wondering if folks have detected any changes since this morning...

JL
Contributor
jacobschneid

I will be sure to test it when I get home from work this evening.