Visitor

Ubee modem problem?

I got a new Ubee D3 modem a month or two ago. I have had relatively little problems with it other than slow download performance, although upload is awesome. Since the day I got it (new in box), the DS light (down stream?) has been a steady red. I originally talked to tech support and they said it should be fine, but I am now not so sure.

A week or two ago I upgraded to the "Ultra" package online (I am an employee). Nothing has been right since then. I chatted to Comcast support to "reset my account" to be correct with regards to my internet package.

I am still not seeing any improvement in DL speeds and at times my uploads surpass the DL speeds! I have to assume that my modem is at fault. I have reset, power cycled everything, both computer and modem. I have one outlet that feeds the modem (no splitters). It goes directly via ethernet to a NIC set @ 100 full duplex on a Vista 64 box with 4 gigs memory. All modem settings are within spec according to the forum guide posts and I have checked them at different times of day and all are normal. I will however post them when I get home and have a chance.

I am at a loss on how to proceed from here. Does the red DS light mean anything? Should I get a tech out to visit to be safe?

Thanks in advance.

Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

Re: Ubee modem problem?

Dont know a thing about that modem, however anytime you upgrade or downgrade your speed tier you have to reset your cable modem.

Sorry I cant be of more help regarding that modem.

Connection Expert
EG

djaaronreed wrote:

I got a new Ubee D3 modem a month or two ago. I have had relatively little problems with it other than slow download performance, although upload is awesome. Since the day I got it (new in box), the DS light (down stream?) has been a steady red. I originally talked to tech support and they said it should be fine, but I am now not so sure.

A week or two ago I upgraded to the "Ultra" package online (I am an employee). Nothing has been right since then. I chatted to Comcast support to "reset my account" to be correct with regards to my internet package.

I am still not seeing any improvement in DL speeds and at times my uploads surpass the DL speeds! I have to assume that my modem is at fault. I have reset, power cycled everything, both computer and modem. I have one outlet that feeds the modem (no splitters). It goes directly via ethernet to a NIC set @ 100 full duplex on a Vista 64 box with 4 gigs memory. All modem settings are within spec according to the forum guide posts and I have checked them at different times of day and all are normal. I will however post them when I get home and have a chance.

I am at a loss on how to proceed from here. Does the red DS light mean anything? Should I get a tech out to visit to be safe?

Thanks in advance.

I believe that the red indicator light means that there are bonded downstream channels on your CMTS and the modem is using them. This means that your area has been upgraded to the new DOCSIS 3 specification which is a good thing. However, there has been some issues with that Ubee modem. There have been posts at rhe DSLR/BBR forums about some firmware and config file issues and some of the CC techs there dislike that modem. Here is a link to a forum search that I did over there. There is a good amount of information about that modem here:

http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?boardlist=141&cat=remark&advanced=1&141=1&p=10&o=r&q=ubee+

Connection Expert
EG

SpokaneScott wrote:

Dont know a thing about that modem, however anytime you upgrade or downgrade your speed tier you have to reset your cable modem

W.I.W., he stated that he already did that.

Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

He stated "reset my account" that does not tell me that he 'reset his modem" however I must of skipped over the part where he said "I have reset, power cycled everything, both computer and modem."
Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

I think I know why I stick with just the Economy Teir, never any problems, or going crazy over the speed, the Economy Teir is what it is, great for people that dont really care for speed but wants the 'Always On' connection. I have not found one reason to have anything faster, beings I dont game, I email, instant message family, casual browse the internet, and my modem is as basic as they come Scientific Atlantic DPC 2100 which is their newest modem in the Spokane, Washington area.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

SpokaneScott wrote:
He stated "reset my account" that does not tell me that he 'reset his modem" however I must of skipped over the part where he said "I have reset, power cycled everything, both computer and modem."

Yadda, yadda, yadda... :smileysilly: :smileymischief: :smileygrin:

Message Edited by EG on 12-16-2009 09:53 AM
Connection Expert
EG

SpokaneScott wrote:
I think I know why I stick with just the Economy Teir, never any problems, or going crazy over the speed, the Economy Teir is what it is, great for people that dont really care for speed but wants the 'Always On' connection.

"Sticking with the economy tier" doesn't guarantee reliable connectivity no more so than any other speedtier. BTW, a cable connnection technically is an "always on" one. :smileywink:

Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

Thats not what I am talking about everyone that has faster speed tiers, I hear them the most complaining and having the most problems, they are not getting the speed they are paying for, connection too slow, etc. yes I know a cable connection is an "always on" connection, its not like I was born yesterday, I have had cable internet when @home was around. Once again what I was saying was...... I only have the economy speed tier for the "always on" connection, other then that I would be perfectly happy with Dialup, however cable internet is actually cheaper, would be paying 12.95 for the phone line plus 20 something dollars for an dialup provider. that adds up to 32.95, where cable internet for me is only 24.95
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
I have no idea what you know but I am learning about it... I do know that this banter is taking this thread off topic I'm afraid...
Message Edited by EG on 12-16-2009 10:16 AM
Regular Problem Solver
SpokaneScott

It would not get off topic if people would stop commenting on peoples replys, when all they are trying to do is help. And for the record.... I know alot, I have a Master's Degree in Technology Management, and Bachelor's Degree in Business & Management, and I might not seem like im as smart on here, because there is always someone trying to act smarter or a 'know it all', and anyones reply to problems is no good and is always shot down.
Connection Expert
JamesR

djaaronreed wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Attempting to drag the thread back on topic.

What does Ubee tech support have to say on the matter?

Visitor

Re: Ubee tech support

[ Edited ]

Edit: Just read EG's post and links. Thank you! That is what lead me to the info below... Edit. 

So far Ubee tech support is non existent due to the fact it is Comcast property. I did find out however (via Charter support of all places) that the orange/red DS light signifies "bonded channels". In theory, max download speeds can be quadrupled due to 4 downstream channels.

It has also been mentioned after some searches that the Ubee U10C035 modem is a solid box, for about 2 months and then slowly declines in performance. It seems this my case. Everything can be fine when comparing specs (power, channels, signal, etc), but in reality the box is struggling. A reboot seems to clear it up some for about 12-48 hours and then back to sluggish performance.

I think I will just ask for any Motorola or Scientific Atlanta D3 modems as that is what is commonly used in our broadcast facility in Denver. Thank you everybody for your input and help.

I will still try to post the diagnostic info later tonight for giggles, just in case anybody has anything else to input.

Message Edited by djaaronreed on 12-16-2009 06:36 PM
Connection Expert
EG

Re: Ubee tech support

[ Edited ]

djaaronreed wrote:

In theory, max download speeds can be quadrupled due to 4 downstream channels.

Only if one actually subscribes to one of the D3 speedtiers and has the correct config file loaded in the modem. However there are indeed benefits to be had by having 4 bonded downstream channels available one's  segment even if one is only using a D2/D1.1/D1.0 modem such as less local congestion due to increased load capacity (load balancing). This may result in one getting their max speed and may also help with the Powerboost feature.

djaaronreed wrote:

that the orange/red DS light signifies "bonded channels".

I believe that "orange" actually means that there is a problem with channel bonding. It should be red if all is well.
Message Edited by EG on 12-16-2009 09:12 PM
Visitor

Thanks everybody for the help. I called tech support a got a really knowledgable lady who diagnosed the problem in about 10 minutes. She noticed some signal level/power irregularities and suggested a tech come to my house. She also recommended that I get a much better and more stable modem as she has only seen bad things with the Ubee/Ambit modems.

The tech came out ran a few speed tests (speedtest.net and NOT speedtest.comcast.net) first and then  proceeded to diagnose the line. After a few minutes and giving me a new Cisco DPC3000 we checked speeds again for the next 20 minutes and he would every once in a while calibrate and diagnose the line again.

I am happy to report that I have my normal 20 down and 10 up speeds again! I'm even getting as fast as 35-46 megs down at times! The tech mentioned that he likes to personally install the Cisco's as they are what he has the least amount of return calls on and no return calls if the line is calibrated correctly.

Hope this helps someone else out...