New Visitor
Squishy_Tia

Unable to provision Motorola SB6141

Yewwo :smileyhappy:

I finally convinced my grandparents that it was a good idea to get their own cable modem instead of paying monthly for a lease, and after showing them the math they caved in. However, after getting that nice shiny new Motorola SB6141 cable modem, comcast seems to be unable to communicate with it.

The modem is able to obtain an IP, get its time of day, and shows bonded channels for both downstream and upstream (not that I need it for upstream since the most damage I do in that direction is in Diablo 3/World of Warcraft and I don't torrent files except during patch days), and the Online light is solid green, but the link light is blinking solid blue.

I know the modem can communicate with comcast's servers since I am able to force a DHCP lease release and renew, but I get no internet connection at all even after the modem was added manually to the account over the phone. The techs keep telling me they cannot communicate with it.

The modem is well within its specified lower and upper threshold limits for both downstream and upstream, but it's still a no go.

The modem does show one very odd bit of information though. Its Modem IP Mode is showing as IPv6 Only. My Mac Pro and Netgear WND4500 router are both set for IPv4 and IPv6 operation so I have access to all websites regardless of iPv limitations on the server end, but the modem is showing only IPv6 mode enabled, and a firmware build date from 8/2011 (yes, over a year ago).

I've reset the 6141 enough times to make it want to smack me a good one, including resetting it to the factory defaults in the hopes that comcast would be able to push the configuration bootfile to me. Still ends up in failure.

Does anybody here have any recourse for me at this point? Between constantly being hung up on by their techs while the elevator music plays endlessly (six "disconnects" in a row says something here) and none of the techs knowing how to do anything more than what their automated systems let them do, this is getting frustrating beyond belief.

Is there a direct number to their activation department I can call to get a higher tier tech? The regular techs kept redirecting me to "signature support" (which I would have to end up paying for), and even that didn't work since I'd get disconnected every time.

I would like to get this 6141 operational so my grandparents pay less, and I get my internet. That and whoever designed the Ubee modems needs their voodoo dolls poked. Many times. The blasted thing's LEDs are bright enough to land an airplane in London fog, and I have twenty (yes, 20) layers of surgical tape over the LEDs and they still outshine even my PS3 or Airvana.

Thank you for your time! :smileyhappy:

- Squishy Tia!

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: Unable to provision Motorola SB6141

Squishy_Tia wrote:

I would like to get this 6141 operational so my grandparents pay less, and I get my internet. That and whoever designed the Ubee modems needs their voodoo dolls poked. Many times. The blasted thing's LEDs are bright enough to land an airplane in London fog, and I have twenty (yes, 20) layers of surgical tape over the LEDs and they still outshine even my PS3 or Airvana.

I use a black marker over some lights. It doesn't totally block it, but it can dim it quite a bit. For some lights you don't normally need to see, just use some black electrical tape or similar. On my 6120, only the ONLINE and LINK lights are visible, and even those are partially covered to just see enough. (The modem is in my bedroom.)

The blinking blue LINK light means you have a gigabit connection. Make certain the ethernet cable is Cat5e or Cat6, it should be printed or embossed somewhere along it's side. It's blinking because it is online and seeing the background ACK packets and stuff.

Even if it's not provisioned, it should still connect you to the walled garden. As a test, have you tried connecting directly to a computer (and always reboot the modem when changing the device connected to it.)

You can also try the Comcast direct forum at:

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

New Visitor
Squishy_Tia

OK, I finally got through to their walled garden. Even on the Ubee modem the system (Comcast's) kept saying "SOS! Unable to contact our system!" yesterday.

I was able to utilize the second gigabit ethernet jack on my Mac Pro (thank goodness for those), and activated the modem that way. I had tried both ports on my Mac Pro yesterday directly as opposed to activating via the Netgear router, but it wasn't working. Looks like comcast's network was having some major issues yesterday. Joy. ^_^

Now though, the modem shows only IPv4 mode active. Seeing as all of my equipment is IPv6 capable, and the Ubee was able to operate in IPv6 mode, is this simply a matter of the 6141 not having been certified as IPv6 capable by Comcast, and if so, will they deploy a firmware udpate that opens IPv6 mode once it is certified?

I ask because I do use IPv6 connectivity via my mobile devices to communicate and transfer audio files (usually music files I created from my CDs) so I don't have to always be at home when I want to create a new playlist in WinAmp Android.

The cable modem (6141) is now residing on the en0 (primary) ethernet port on my Mac Pro and after a restart recognized my Netgear properly, and is funcitoning at normal speeds (24.5 Mbit/sec down, 4.3 Mbit/sec up). I do have another question though - my grandparents' bill just states "Xfinity Internet", but does not specify the type. As they pay $70/month, factoring in the $7 modem rental fee, I think we're in the Performance Plus tier (now renamed just Performance as of October 6th), but the bills have never given us our explicit tier info.

Now I have to figure out how to send the Ubee modem back to comcast and get a receipt so we no longer have to pay the lease fee on it each month, especially since it isn't going to be used.

As you can see, I'm a techie. It's just comcast's back end that throws me for a loop sometimes. :smileyhappy:

- Squishy TIa!

Connection Expert
EG

Squishy_Tia wrote:

Now though, the modem shows only IPv4 mode active. Seeing as all of my equipment is IPv6 capable, and the Ubee was able to operate in IPv6 mode, is this simply a matter of the 6141 not having been certified as IPv6 capable by Comcast, and if so, will they deploy a firmware udpate that opens IPv6 mode once it is certified?

FWIW, this has only to do with the DOCSIS / internal management side of the modem and has nothing to do with the modem's ability to pass IPv6 IP address assignments from the WAN to the LAN side of it. The modem will deliver IPv6 to your home network if they are actually yet available on your local CMTS / system.

New Visitor
Squishy_Tia

Okie dokie. I'll keep that in mind.

Now I just have to get comcast to let me return the old modem so we can stop paying the lease fee on it.

New Visitor
givemeliberte

The Motorola SB6141 is listed as a supported modem on Comcasts site.  The issue is that the bootfile for it isn't setup for automatic provisioning yet.  What this means in a nut shell is your SB6141 may work but at best will get 25MBs down.  To get faster speeds you will need to talk to someone who can either upload a new SB6141 bootfile or use the SB6121 bootfile.  Both options need to be done manually so you'll need to get the right person on the line, most people in tech support aren't able to do this.  There's a thread on it here: 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Any-idea-when-the-Motorola-SB6141-will-...

If you get the right folks on the line you should be able to get it up and running but might take some doing.

Cheers and good luck.