Contributor
Shanther

Upload Speed Problem

[ Edited ]

I was previously having major upload problems (sub 1mb speeds) which I managed to fix by toying around with my network card drivers. Due to a completely unrelated issue I had to replace my modem. I was given a Cisco DPC3008. I get home and plug all the wires in, do Comcast's little set up thing to activate it. I even call Comcast to make sure everything was set up right. Everything is the way it should be. Now I am back to my non existnt upload speeds.

Downstream:
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1: -1.5 dBmV 40.4 dB

Channel 2: -0.6 dBmV 40.5 dB

Channel 3: -0.3 dBmV 40.9 dB

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 40.9 dB

Channel 5: 0.5 dBmV 40.9 dB

Channel 6: 0.5 dBmV 41.0 dB

Channel 7: 0.3 dBmV 41.0 dB

Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 41.1 dB

Upstream:
Power Level:

Channel 1: 50.5 dBmV

Channel 2: 49.5 dBmV

Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

ShaperProbe always aborts the upload test due to high packet loss.

Line Quality tests come back with a 5% - 17% packet loss 

ICSI Netalyzr gives me:

We recorded a packet loss of 2.5%. This loss rate can result in noticeable performance problems. It could be due either to significant load on our servers due to a large number of visitors, or problems with your network. Of the packet loss, at least 2.5% of the packets appear to have been lost on the path from your computer to our servers.

We estimate your downlink as having 920 msec of buffering. This level can in some situations prove somewhat high, and you may experience degraded performance when performing interactive tasks such as web-surfing while simultaneously conducting large downloads. Real-time applications, such as games or audio chat, may also work poorly when conducting large downloads at the same time.

Also on a semi related note to my speeds.  My first hop in all of my tracerts is always 19 - 30ms instead of <1ms.

Connection Expert
EG

Re: CiscoDPC3008 Upload Speed Problem

[ Edited ]

Shanther wrote:
Also on a semi related note to my speeds.  My first hop in all of my tracerts is always 19 - 30ms instead of <1ms.

The upstream power is borderline in spec and may be intermittently fluctuating farther out of spec. As far a your "first hop" goes, what is it ? Without seeing a trace we can't know if you are using a router that would appear as the first hop or if it is the first Comcast hop which woud be the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination) system at you local headend facility. If it is the latter then that is o/k.

Contributor
Shanther

[ Edited ]

So should I have a tech come out to see if he can correct my upstream's powerlevel?  The one conistant thing about my upload speed problems have been the powerlevel.  It has always been around 50.  For whatever reason I don't see how that can be my overall problem due to it randomly fixing itself when I downgraded my network drivers.

As per my first hop, it tends to look something like this.

1 56 ms 29 ms 27 ms 174.63.156.1
2 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms te-8-4-ur01.goldengate.fl.naples.comcast.net [69.139.170.109]

Give or take a little bit.

Contributor
Shanther

[ Edited ]

Thinking the modem was causing the problem I decided to have it replaced again.  Same issue.  However this morning (10/20) to afternoon my internet was working the way it was supposed to.  I was getting my correct download speed and my correct upload speed.

I even had a tech come out today to check everything.  Everything checks out and is the way it is supposed to be.  He leaves, I turn my computer off and go to work.  I get home and now my upload speed is back to being very bad.

It takes a long time for the upload speed test to even start.  It sometimes goes up to 2mb (I pay for 4mb) and will take a dive down to 1mb if not lower.  And when it finally decides to finish after taking a long time it finishes at 1mb or lower.  I've actually had the upload speed test error out a few times and not be able to finish.

I don't understand how my upload speed can go from being fine to being very bad hours later, while my computer was turned off no less.  Furthermore I don't understand why my download speed and connectivity are not affected.

New modem: Arris WBM760A

Downstream 1    -2.06 dBmV    36.84 dB

Downstream 2    -2.40 dBmV    36.39 dB

Downstream 3   - 2.87 dBmV    36.39 dB

Downstream 4    -1.30 dBmV    37.36 dB

Upstream 1     50.25 dBmV    DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

Upstream 2     49.25 dBmV    DOCSIS1.x (TDMA)

ShaperProbe Results

Upstream: 6166 Kbps.
Downstream: 35153 Kbps.

Upstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

Downstream: Never actually finished...ShaperProbe crashed...

I find this hard to believe since I was having the issue on my old computer as well, is it possible that my network card is the problem?

Connection Expert
EG

Perhaps there is an upstream channel / return path noise ingress issue. You can call in ask what the uSNR (upstream Signal to Noise Ratio) figure is. It should be at least 30 dB, and higher is better. Or there may be a capcity / congestion problem on your local segment.

Contributor
Shanther

[ Edited ]

EG wrote:

Perhaps there is an upstream channel / return path noise ingress issue. You can call in ask what the uSNR (upstream Signal to Noise Ratio) figure is. It should be at least 30 dB, and higher is better. Or there may be a capcity / congestion problem on your local segment.

I'll give them a call to get a specifc number tomorrow.  However when I asked them yesterday it WAS above 30db.  I believe the specific was 34db.  As for capacity / congestion problem why would that not also be affecting my download speed?  And is there anything that can be done about it...besides move.

Connection Expert
EG

Actually, any possible upstream noise issue may be very intemittent in nature, so the figure should be obtained when the issue is actually occuring. As far as it affecting the download, the upstream path / pipe is much smaller than is the downstream so it is much more easily saturated / overloaded by neighbors on you local shared segment.

Contributor
Shanther

EG wrote:

Actually, any possible upstream noise issue may be very intemittent in nature, so the figure should be obtained when the issue is actually occuring. As far as it affecting the download, the upstream path / pipe is much smaller than is the downstream so it is much more easily saturated / overloaded by neighbors on you local shared segment.

Let me rephrase my previous post.  This also happens during the day as well, it just so happened to be working correctly this morning.  It happens at all times of the day.

Connection Expert
EG

O/k.

Contributor
Shanther

Smokeping test from the past 8 hours

http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.71a160781878a8003bdf63ddb41855f3

Still having upload speed issues.