New Visitor

Usage Meter: Pilot Launch - Another attempt to increase my Comcast bill

This is a thinly veiled tactic to eventually start charging usage fees on Internet activity.  Do you think all your customers are stupid?   Consumers hate usage based costs - just look at surveys for cell phone customers.   So, here you go teeing up pricing model consumers don't like.  

Does Comcast really think its customers want to check how many GB's of storage they are using on a regular basis?  Does Comcast really believe that we, the customers, are "pleased" to have received this new "disservice"?  Can you be that out of touch with your customers? 

Today, people are concerned about the economy, the war on terror, the national debt that continues to rise, health care costs, gridlock in our political system, etc.  We do not want to be forced to now check the Comcast "gas gauge"!

This is a bad idea Comcast.  Your public image is bad enough.  Yet, you continue to give your customers reasons to not like you.  Fire your Marketing Dept and hire people who know the current mood of the American people and your customers.  

Thanks,

Steve

Connection Expert
EG

Re: Usage Meter: Pilot Launch - Another attempt to increase my Comcast bill

My opinion is that I disagree with some of your 'opinions'.. :smileyhappy:
Connection Expert
JamesR

It seems that most ISPs are moving toward a Bandwidth Cap.

Netgear has a new Router on the market that includes a Bandwith Meter and the ability to set arbitrary limits for notification and shutdown of Internet access when you reach the defined limit.  The netgear documentation infers that they expect something like a Universal Bandwidth Limit.  Of course, your reading of the documentation might bring you to a different conclusion than mine.

Networking Expert
kevj

SteveM8892 wrote:

Does Comcast really think its customers want to check how many GB's of storage they are using on a regular basis?  Does Comcast really believe that we, the customers, are "pleased" to have received this new "disservice"?  Can you be that out of touch with your customers? 

This has nothing to do with 'storage'. Can you really be that out of touch with what the meter is about?

Today, people are concerned about the economy, the war on terror, the national debt that continues to rise, health care costs, gridlock in our political system, etc.  We do not want to be forced to now check the Comcast "gas gauge"!

Is someone 'forcing' you to check your meter? I don't think so....nowhere does it say that checking the meter is mandatory.

If you check it once after a month of what you deem to be average internet usage for your account, and you find you are nowhere near the cap, there is little change you will be near the cap the next month, so unless you make a huge change to your internet usage habits, there is probably no reason to check the meter (on a completely voluntary basis, btw) much more that monthly at most.

---------------------------------------
Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

New Visitor

I mostly agree w/ Steve. Its a trojan horse to eventually charge more for less service.
Email Expert

[ Edited ]

I've said it in other threads, and I'll say it again here: how can the meter be a bad thing?

Comcast has had a 250 GB/mo cap for a year and a half (and there were limits before that, they just didn't make it public). Customers complained, "How can you have a cap without providing a way for me to see my usage?" Now they're providing that, and yet customers are finding fault with this.

Message Edited by ComcastGeorge on 02-19-2010 02:00 PM
Bronze Star Contributor

surely there is no profit motiv here?  Let me see I can download movies  or let comcast force me to watch thier movies on demand.
Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

I too don't understand the anger at the meter.  Comcast has had this cap in place for years, and finally let their customers know about it two years ago.  We are finally getting something to let us know where we are in regards to the cap.  I don't see how this is anything but a great thing.  I do hope that we are getting this pushed across the board soon though. 
Regular Problem Solver
slouke

Surely there IS a profit motive here.  Comcast wisely doesn't want to spend $millions on increasing the capacity of their system for the few dozen customers out of every ten thousand who use more than 250GB per month.  I don't think that would pencil out (to use an accounting term :smileylaugh: ).
Email Expert

What does the meter have to do with a profit motive? You seem to be confusing the meter with the download limit.

250 GB cap: bad

Usage meter: good

Contributor

usage meter? i don't recall getting any info on this (have been asking & only got "working out the bugs"). was this an email, is there a link or did i completely miss a sticky in the forums?

well, actually, the meter is a moot point for me, now. I purchased a software program last year, for around $20, because they had SUCH a hard time making one that didn't have "bugs" (majorly rolling my eyes). same with their notification of the cap; they were probably forced into to it.

i'm paying for a connection that isn't even close to advertised...i don't mean the actual speed (12mbps, but only in "speed tests." real speed isn't even close to that), i mean the consistency (can't watch Netflix movies on my PC because of really awful FPS, constant "your connection speed has slowed" interruptions or actual disconnection "a network cable is unplugged" messages). i've known for quite awhile they have "brakes" on the upload speed...i'm thinking they also have "brakes" on the download speed.

although the usage meter COULD be a tactic to go to "usage based fees," it may very well be a result of so many complaints & requests for something they should have had since they instituted the cap (they had to be [b]forced[/b] to tell customers after they snuck it in the backdoor). it's entirely possible they're being forced to finally roll it out. our utility & telephone companies would be in a world of legal hurt if they didn't have viewable usage for customers.

off to try online chat about Netflix problems & see what kind of "answers" i'll get.

if you're interested, here's a link to the usage meter i purchased (30 day free trial); really awesome, btw:

[code]http://www.bwmonitor.com/[/code]

Contributor

i don't come anywhere near the cap, ever, but i'm paying for the service and believe i have a right to know what my usage is. utility & telephone companies DON'T have caps, but they're required, by law, to show customers how much they're using. Comcast has been balking because they want to know how much we're using, so they can do WHATEVER, but don't want US to know.

the only issue with the cap is for legal users who watch movies 24/7 or users who down/up illegal stuff 24/7. max i've ever gotten to is about 10gb and i only know this because i purchased bandwidth meter software. i get to see my actual speeds, daily, weekly, monthly usage. it SO rocks.

can't remember, but it took a lawsuit or Congress to force them to tell US that they had instituted a cap in the first place. they refused until they were told they HAD to.

the usage meter is still only beta, and only in Portland, OR, contrary to what they just told me online. apparently missed the 4 times i mentioned the Denver metro area. LOL

Email Expert

They're in the process of rolling the meter out to other areas. We got it in the Boston area about a week ago. You should get an email when it's coming to your area, although some people got the email before it was actually enabled on their accounts.
New Visitor

I totally support your opinion, SteveM8892!
Regular Contributor

Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

jonalisa wrote:

I totally agree.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-CFO-Broadband-Pricing-Will-Evolve-107330?nocomment=1

And there is nothing in there to support the idea that Comcast is going to a metered billing. Could that be what he's talking about?  Sure.  Could he be discussing how the price of internet has to be re-looked at as it's something that is more and more used as far as a content provider absolutely.  We don't know any of that right now.
Contributor

okay today is the first time I have heard anything about the usage meter, when i got an email on it today about testing it out.

Maybe I am stupid but I spend alot of time online searching for work since I am unemployed now, amoung the millions of people who have lost their jobs. And I have a teenage son who enjoyhs playing online video games and can be on the computer for quite awhile playing those things.

So how will this usage thing end up affecting me and others who have children who play online video games versus xbox, Wii, etc.?

Thats what I am worried about. Can someone explain this to me and let me know if I am misunderstanding something here or have something to worry about.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

Searching the web is not using much bandwidth. Playing games generally is not using much bandwidth. Downloading a lot of high-definition movies will use much bandwidth.

The meter will let you see what you are using. I'm guessing that with my four people and multiple computers (how many depends on how you count) used extensively but not to download movies, we'll probably use less than 50 GB a month.

But the meter will let us see that we aren't using much. 

Look at this link in Comcast's frequently asked questions to see how much you'd need to use to hit the limit:

250GB is far beyond the current median of data usage for a typical residential Internet customer in a month, so this amount of data accommodates any reasonable definition of typical monthly residential usage.
To reach 250 GB in a month, for example, a customer would have to do any of the following:
  • Send 50 million plain text e-mails (at 5KB/e-mail)
  • Download 62,500 songs (at 4 MB/song)
  • Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2 GB/movie)
  • Upload 25,000 hi-resolution digital photos (at 10 MB/photo)
Message Edited by BethKatz on 03-14-2010 08:03 PM
Contributor

I thank you for the explanation. That helped me to understand much better.
Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

I would also ask you the question of how long you have had comcast?  If for a while has your internet habits changed?  Are you downloading a ton more movies or anything lately?  Truth is comcast has had their cap as it is today in place since oct of '08 so if you've had services for a while and have never heard a peep from comcast than you are probably not eclipsing your 250 cap
New Visitor

Well said "SteveM8892" I totally agree with you except that more than just the people in "marketing" should be fired. They should start from the top and work there way down and get rid of all the people who are shaking us down for $$$$.

New Visitor

Ummm, I think you have some of your figures wrong! I have never seen a "Hi Def" movie that is 2Gb more like 4.35 to 4.9Gb and that's with compression uncompressed is more like 9Gb and mp3's are more like 8Mb to 15Mb! So you should probably check your figures
Regular Problem Solver
jjv124

If you are referring to beth's information it says sd movies at 2 gigs
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

And those aren't my figures. They are copied from the Comcast information. That's why I gave the link and put them in a different color and font. It clearly says standard definition.