Contributor

Usage meter disappeared...

About 4+ months ago I went from my Motorola docsis 3.0 modem to a Comcast due to internet issues. After switching, the problem seemed to have been resolved so I purchased a new Motorola docsis 3.0 SB6121. Called Comcast and the rep removed the old modem and added the new, with the data meter showing almost instantly on the website.

Everything was fine for a few months then I tried to install and link my Xfinity Xbox 360 app. The application had to reset the modem, I guess configuring it so data wouldn't tally in? Since then, the meter has disappeared from my account login.

I've called Comcast and spoken to several reps, asking to roll and reprovision my modem. Still, no data usage meter.

Any ideas?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Usage meter disappeared...

Yes, it's a known issue. Installing the Xbox app for some reason makes the meter disappear for some people. Right now the usage cap has been suspended, so you don't have to worry about usage. Presumably Comcast will fix your problem before the new data usage policy is put into place.

Contributor

Ah, I heard they had a new model being tested but I wasn't aware that current caps were removed or not inforced.

Do you have a link to any official documentation on that? I'll google a bit more.

Well, guess this can be closed as it is a non issue without having a cap. Otherwise, good to know it is a known issue if they bring the caps back.

Thanks!

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

As far as I know, there is no official announcement that running the Xbox 360 Xfinity app causes the data usage meter to disappear. But it is a known problem.

That Comcast is not enforcing the usage cap is described here:

http://blog.comcast.com/2012/05/comcast-to-replace-usage-cap-with-improved-data-usage-management-app...

Contributor

Thanks!

New Visitor
pghboy69

Yeah, mine has vanished too...have an XBox, so that's probably the reason.  I'm of the opinion that if we can't read our usage meter, Comcast probably can't read it either!  So I'm not worried about it until they get it fixed...can't be responsible if I can't monitor my usage, right?! :smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

pghboy69 wrote:

Yeah, mine has vanished too...have an XBox, so that's probably the reason.  I'm of the opinion that if we can't read our usage meter, Comcast probably can't read it either!  So I'm not worried about it until they get it fixed...can't be responsible if I can't monitor my usage, right?! :smileyhappy:

Have you read the info contained in the link that Beth provided ? Don't worry about the cap right now.

New Visitor
u_hsen

so let me get this straight...... it's not they're not enforcing anymore, they are just extending from 250 to 300gb.

that doesn't really answer for those who wants to check their data usage so they won't go over and be charged.

Visitor
Gabrielibo

The data that is used for the xfinity Xbox app isn't supposed to count towards your data usage limit
Web Page Expert
BethKatz

[ Edited ]

You can't "go over" now because they aren't enforcing the cap. They are exploring how they might reinstate the cap. Maybe it will go up to 300 GB. Maybe they will have people pay for more. Maybe something else will happen. 

For now, use your connection.

Unless you have run the Xbox 360 Xfinity app, you should be able to see your data usage meter.

Be sure you are checking with your primary account or a secondary with billing access. Call Comcast and make sure that your modem is connected to your account and ask them to "roll and reprovision" your modem.

Contributor
Vampyre

If there is no cap why is the meter still there?

Thought mine was gone for about a week, it just shows up now...

I don't really think there is no CAP for the time being.. as I've never seen anything from comcast saying there is no cap...

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg