New Visitor
snudge42

WPS button on SMCD3GNV

I have an SMC3GNV modem without the wireless enabled (Comcast installer didn't have the other model, so just gave me this one). I must have pushed the WPS button at some point, and it's just constantly flashing now.

How do I get it to stop?

Cheers,

Seb

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: WPS button on SMCD3GNV

Did you try pressing and holding the Reset button on the rear for 2-5 seconds?

Not sure what you mean by "without the wireless enabled" or what other model you are referring to.  By default, the SMCD3GNV has wireless enabled when installed unless you request that Comcast disable it (it can't be done by the user, unfortunately).  If the installer did this, I would have expected the WPS button to be disabled.

New Visitor
snudge42

I brought my own wireless router, so didn't need the wireless functionality of the SMCD3GNV, hence yes, the installer had the functionality disabled.

The WPS button is indeed flashing however. Are you sure its ok to reset the modem? Does it do a factory reset? Are there any settings that could be lost?

Seb

I have an SMC3GNV modem without the wireless enabled (Comcast installer didn't have the other model, so just gave me this one). I must have pushed the WPS button at some point, and it's just constantly flashing now.

How do I get it to stop?

Cheers,

Seb
Networking Expert
Baric

The reset is entirely safe unless you hold the button for 15 seconds or more.  That will do a full factory reset and re-enable the wireless or take it out of bridge mode (whichever you had done).  The 2-5 second reset is simply a full reboot with current settings which will hopefully reset the flashing WPS button.

Connection Expert
EG

Moved to the Gateway Help Forum. Click on the above link to follow it there. Two and a half year old thread closed