Contributor

What cable goes where?

I have a PC, phone, printer/fax and cable modem.  I can not get the fax to work.  It says 'phone line error.'

The cable comes into room and into the modem.  The modem plugs into the PC.  How do I connect the phone and the fax?

Administrator
ComcastBillG

Re: What cable goes where?

Check out this link and make sure the fax machine is compatible.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=6d8d8f04-db17-4a54-9afb-c7a7cd373fe0 

William Gerth
Comcast Help Forums Administrator
william_gerth@cable.comcast.com
Networking Expert
Baric

Do you have Comcast Digital Voice?  If so, and the cable modem is properly hooked into the house's phione system, you simply plug a regular phone cord from any house phone jack and connect it to your phone and/or fax, just like you would normally.  Othwise, simply use a phone line from the phone jacks on the cable modem to your phone or fax.
Contributor

Thanks for the posts but my problem is as follows.

Modem has a connector for a phone line that says "phone"

PC has two connectors that says "phone" and "line"

Phone of course has a connector for line

FAX has a connector that says FAX

Now, do I bring the house phone line into the PC or the Modem?  I was hoping to find a diagram that shows these connections but I haven't.

Thanks again.

Connection Expert
JamesR

Phone cord from phone jack to splitter.

Phone cored from splitter to Fax Machine

Phone cord fro splitter to Telephone

Ignore phone jack on modem.  It is used when you have Telephone Service from Comcast

Ignore phone jacks on PC, they are used if you want to use the PC as a Fax Machine

Contributor

Thanks.  I fixed it.  Kinda.

I had a DSL cable filter/splitter that I thought I no longer needed.  Turns out I do need to make my phones work.  I plugged the phone line into the back of the modem.  I plugged the DSL phone line into the PC.  I plugged the phone itself into the PC.  All works.  Except the FAX.  I will take someone's advise and program the PC to send the FAX.

Thanks again.

Email Expert

You shouldn't need a DSL filter unless you have DSL service from the phone company. But if you're a Comcast Internet customer, you have a cable modem, not DSL.

Do you have Comcast Digital Voice service, or do you get your phone service from a regular telco?

You should be able to plug the fax machine into any jack that you can plug a phone into.