New Visitor

What kind of splitter do I use?

I have to move my computer into a room that already has a tv connected to the cable outlet. What kind of splitter should I use, and where can I get one? Thanks...JRE.
Bronze Star Contributor

Re: What kind of splitter do I use?

You can get one at Radio Shack. It's just a coax spliter. Go in and ask for that and they can point it out to you.
New Visitor

Make sure it's a 900MHZ splitter. They also sell 100MHZ splitters!!!
New Visitor

Thanks for the info. I got one at Radio Shack and it's a 40-2150 MHZ.
Bronze Star Contributor

Preferably, have comcast run the line direct from the outside to the cable modem. If you MUST use a splitter, you got the right one. From what I understand (which admittedly is not alot), I would use a splitter with only a 900 MHz cutoff. Also, use quad shielded cable for all connections, particulary the one to your cable modem. Use screw-on F-type connectors only. Signal strength and signal to noise ratio are critical to reliable and fast cable modem performance. Poor shielding on any line that's on the same branch as your cable modem can leak noise into the cable modem line and affect performance. For these reasons, if you ever have a cable modem problem that requires Comcast to visit, one of the first things they will probably do is provide a direct connection to your cable modem, rather than a splitter for the cable modem and tv.

> Thanks for the info. I got one at Radio Shack and
> it's a 40-2150 MHZ.
Regular Contributor

I think I'm a little confused.. how are they suppose to set you up with Cable TV, if you already have internet? Isn't the only way to do that by using a splitter? I'm having my Cable TV installed this week, and I'm assuming they are going to use a splitter since they are not providing me with a box. (And when I was with AT&T, and had Cable TV installed, they used a splitter then as well).
Bronze Star Contributor

If you are in the same house, they will use the same wire and there may be a splitter already in place.

> I think I'm a little confused.. how are they suppose
> to set you up with Cable TV, if you already have
> internet? Isn't the only way to do that by using a
> splitter? I'm having my Cable TV installed this
> week, and I'm assuming they are going to use a
> splitter since they are not providing me with a box.
> (And when I was with AT&T, and had Cable TV
> installed, they used a splitter then as well).
Bronze Star Contributor

Comcast can apparently run a dedicated line. They'll do that if you are having problems. I have to check outside my house to see precisely what they did. We'll probably have thunderstorms tonight, so I don't planning on doing that today.

Message was edited by: edelbeb
Regular Contributor

Normally they will do ONE split, depending on what the existing wiring is already like. When I had cable internet installed, they actually had to replace (upgrade) the cable from the pedestal to my house. Spit from that to the existing cable for television and then ran a separate line for internet.

Now, when I moved my computer to a new room, I ran the cable into the attic and connected it to RG-6 quad I had used to wire the room. Since my computer and TV are on the same side of the room, I split the cable from the wall plate with one line going to the TV and one to the ocmputer/modem. I have an ATI All-in-Wonder card in my computer, so I split the computer/modem line again to run to the modem and to the AIW. I should probably split off the TV line for the AIW, but it was more convenient this way and it works fine (have worked it this way for 10 months). Splits CAN be a source of problems, especially when they are outside in the elements, but that doesn't mean they can't work. If you're careful with your terminations, there's no reason to pay Comcast $50 plus to come out and re-string your cable.