Contributor
CatfishRivers

What should my Internet speed be with Comcast "Economy" Internet service?

Hello. I live in Nokomis, FL 34275. (It's near Sarasota). When I signed up for Comcast Economy internet service last January I was told that after Comcast completes the "digital migration" in my area - that my internet speed would improve to at least 2.0 mbps download speed. 

Well the digital migration for my area occurred over a month ago and I'm still getting the same speed as when I initially signed up (about 1.45 mbps download). There was a door-to-door Comcast sales rep here a few weeks ago - and he said that now people with Economy internet in the Sarasota area are getting 2.0 to 3.0 mbps download speed.

He told me the new 'main digital line' for Sarasota is up and running - and maybe they need to do the line for my street. But he said I should call Comcast customer service because I should be getting the new improved speeds like others are now.

However whenever I call Comcast Customer service they say the digital migration was not related to my internet speed. They also say they have no idea when they will improve the speed.

I don't think this was exactly fair - as I made my decision to become a Comcast customer (back in January) - based on what Comcast customer service reps were 'assuring' me at the time. (Which was that Comcast Economy internet was going to be upgraded 'soon' to at least 2.0 mbps download speed).

Can anyone comment on if this is upgrade is still planned for my zip code? And what speeds I should be expecting to get with Comcast Economy internet service? Thank you.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: What should my Internet speed be with Comcast "Economy" Internet servic

Door to door reps are notorious liars. As far as I know, Economy is 1.5 down. There is no such thing as a digital line and the digital migration was about TV signals, not internet.

To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Or you can ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Gold Problem Solver
BruceW

i-am-nerdburg wrote: ... the digital migration was about TV signals, not internet. ...

To be fair, Comcast has sold the digital migration as something of a cure-all. For example:

Q. What is the Comcast Digital Migration?

A. This upgrade will not only allow us to deliver higher quality digital picture and sound to our customers, but will also allow us to offer more HD and On Demand programming, faster Internet speeds, and enhanced home phone services.

(From http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=32eeebaf-8a60-4b71-9bd5-6f860320039d)

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

FWIW, one of the reasons CC is eliminating analog T.V. channels is to free up bandwidth so that they can provide multiple bonded downstream and upstream channels for their internet service which will provide increased capacity/faster speeds.

Contributor
CatfishRivers

EG wrote:

FWIW, one of the reasons CC is eliminating analog T.V. channels is to free up bandwidth so that they can provide multiple bonded downstream and upstream channels for their internet service which will provide increasedcapacity/faster speeds.

Thanks for the reply EG. But do you have any thoughts as to why my speed hasn't been increased yet after the digital migration rollout? If the door-to-door Comcast salesman was correct some users nearby (within a few miles) are getting the increased speeds.

By the way before I signed-up I double and triple checked with three different Comcast Customer Service Reps and they ALL told me that 'soon' Comcast would be increasing internet speeds (and the Economy would increase to 2.0 mbps). Strange that after they 'sucker' subscribers in with false information - they now claim to know nothing whatsoever about when or even if an increase in speed will be forthcoming.

Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well if they have indeed upped your Speed you will need to power reset your modem. To do that you will need to unplug for 5 minutes also unplug the Router if you have one..

Then wait 5 minutes then plug back in your Modem let it boot up then plug your Router back in after the modem boots up then check your Speeds with the Comcast Speedtest to a nearby server..

If the speeds did NOT go up what Level DoCS is your Modem or what isa the Model number of the Modem??

Contributor
CatfishRivers

[ Edited ]

I just found out that starting this month Comcast has raised my Economy Internet service by $3 per month. My new rate is $29.95. This rate takes into consideration the fact that I subscribe to a TV package. Without TV service I believe it's $41.95. I live in Nokomis, Florida 34275 (just South of Sarasota).

I'm still getting a download speed of 1.44mbps.

The customer rep I spoke to today told me that Comcast will upgrade the Economy Internet tier to 3mbps! However she doesn't know when the upgrade will take effect.

------------------------------------------------------

So now the Comcast reps are being instructed to "tout" an even bigger increase in speed (for Economy Internet) - before they were touting 2 mbps. Of course this new "touting" coincides with the new price increase.

Pity that they can't give any timeline for the update -- just "vague" promises to suck in more subscribers????? Kind of seems like the same old, same old to me -:smileysad: 

Contributor
CatfishRivers

[ Edited ]

Interesting. Comcast is now calling the Economy internet service "Economy Plus" - and they currently state on the Comcast web site that Economy Plus internet service is "up to 3mbps". Hmmm. Just tested my internet speed and it's the same as it's always been 1.44mbps. This is taken directly from the Comcast web site:

"Economy Plus
Get download speeds up to 3 Mbps and uploads up to 768 Kbps.

No dialing in required and no tying up the phone line.
Surf the net, download music, upload photos and chat with friends faster than ever before.
XFINITY is the fastest Internet provider in the nation according to PC Mag!
Constant Guard™ - the most comprehensive online protection (a $360 value). Get Norton™ Security Suite and much more.
XFINITY Connect with 7 email accounts, each with 10GB of storage.
More than 3,500 live games on xfinity.com/espn3.
Backed by the 30-Day Money-Back Comcast Customer Guarantee.

This price is for customers who currently subscribe to Comcast Digital TV or Comcast Digital Voice® service. "

Contributor
CatfishRivers

[ Edited ]

DOS wrote:

Well if they have indeed upped your Speed you will need to power reset your modem. To do that you will need to unplug for 5 minutes also unplug the Router if you have one..

Then wait 5 minutes then plug back in your Modem let it boot up then plug your Router back in after the modem boots up then check your Speeds with the Comcast Speedtest to a nearby server..

If the speeds did NOT go up what Level DoCS is your Modem or what isa the Model number of the Modem??

I have a "Zoom" cable modem (no router) - Zoom model number 5241. It says it supports speeds of up to 42 mbps and supports DOCSIS 2.0, 1.1, and 1.0.

I called customer support and they suggested that I also disconnect the cable line to the modem as well as unplug the power. I tried that and I still get the EXACT same speed of 1.44 mbps (download) that I've always gotten.

It's pretty apparent to me that Comcast probably upgraded "some" of the service area - but not all of it. This service area covers the Venice, North Port and Sarasota areas in Florida. So the service area is pretty well spread out. 

Contributor
CatfishRivers

[ Edited ]

Success! After calling Comcast Customer Service again today and being switched over to 4 different reps - I was finally able to get my internet service upgraded to "Economy Plus". I just did a speedtest and my download speed was 3.22 mbps.

It appears as though Comcast is not automatically notifying customers about the new improved Economy Plus service - but rather customers must call in and request it. The switchover must come from the Comcast office. They even have a special in my area now for Economy Plus - it's $14.95 for the first six months and then $29.95/mo (with a seperate TV subsription required). Without TV the regular price is $39.95/mo/

New Visitor
civilairjim

Re: What should my Internet speed be with Comcast "Economy" Internet service

[ Edited ]

I live in Florence, AL and I just tested my speeds and IM running the Economy Plus internet package and my download speed is around 4 Mbps upload is .88 Mbps. I just refreshed my router and modem speeds seem to be a little faster than before from other speed tests in the past.

Hope this helps

JIM

Connection Expert
EG

Year old thread closed.