New Visitor

What type of modem?

Thinking of purchasing my own modem. Any suggestions? Anybody purchase one from BestBuy? If so, please inform me what type and manufacture. When I do purchase my own do I just unhook my present one hook up the new one and return the old one to Comcast? Would I have to do any new settings or install new software? Sorry for the questions! Please advice.
Most Valued Poster

Re: What type of modem?

I have a Linksys BEFCMU10. Had it for about 2 years now, no problems. It looks a little different than the picture on the Linksys website, I guess they changed the case a bit so it stacks better with their other pieces. The newer one looks like my Linksys WRT54G router. I've never been sorry I bought it.

Whatever you do, don't get a USB attached modem, make sure it has an ethernet connection on it, I've read about all kinds of problems, seems best to just stay away from USB when you're talking network connections. Besides with an ethernet connection, there is no driver to worry about.

All I had to do to get it working was replace the old modem and call Comcast (well then it was ATTBI) to give them then the MAC address of the new modem. They told me to wait for like 10 minutes and then turn it on. Started right up, connected and I was off.
New Visitor

Re: What type of modem?

Great! Thanks.