Visitor
Ginobr

Wifi on Arris TG862G/CT pretty bad

Just switched over from Uverse a week ago, and was frustrated about the wifi dropping off, then having to reset the gateway.  After reading the great posts here, I just got a new wireless router since our Arris TG862G/CT wifi kept dropping out.  Setup the router and plugged it into the Arris, and it works fine.  I also read that you have to call Xfnity to get the gateway setup in Bridge Mode. 

Question is what is the benefit of that, and is it necessary?  I called Xfinity customer service and they didn't seem to know what I was talking about so they forwarded me offshore to premium support and it sounds like you have to pay for that service to be performed.  Something about $79 for a one time fee or $9/ month. 

Email Expert

Re: Wifi on Arris TG862G/CT pretty bad

Premium support is for getting assistance with configuring your own systems, it shouldn't be necessary to get Comcast to reconfigure the gateway. Sounds like you got a bad tech the first time, try calling again.

Putting the gateway in bridge mode makes some functions work better. Routers perform Network Address Translation, and multiple translation steps can interfere with some things. For instance, if you ever need to enable remote access to your home computer, you would have to configure port forwarding on each router; if you put the gateway in bridge mode, you only have to do it on the router you bought.

Visitor
Ginobr

Thanks for the prompt reply Barmar.  I just tried calling 2 more times but each tech I spoke to immediately forwarded me to the "fee based" service whenever I asked them about the bridge mode.  Is setting the gateway to "bridge mode" that difficult to do or require more advanced training?  It's getting quite frustrating to stay on hold then find out nobody can help.  I did however get someone who was very good, but that was during the day time.  Do support calls get routed offshore after hours?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Call 800-363-2416 (Comcast's gateway support team) 

Visitor
Ginobr

Thanks, will give them a shot tomorrow!

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, it may be best to call them during regular weekday business hours but I'm not certain.

Visitor
Ginobr

EG thanks, that is great advice.  I got one good tech mid week during the morning PST.

Connection Expert
EG

Good luck !

Connection Expert
EG
Connection Expert
EG

Older thread closed.