New Visitor
chrismkillen

Will Router work if gateway isn't in Bridge Mode?

[ Edited ]

Just set up my Netgear N600 to my SMC gateway. Since having it connected, the wireless conncetion through the router has been great. My concern is the subject of this post: Will it work properly if the gateway is not put in bridge mode? I noticed that the US/DS, Online, and Tel1&2 indicator lights have gone out twice, only to come back on within a minute. I'm  wondering if this is just coincidental, or it's happening because the gateway "senses" this router or something and it's causing it to do this.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Just realized that the gateway's wireless signal is no longer found on any of my wireless devices after scanning for it. Perhaps it bridged itself?

Networking Expert
Baric

Re: Will Router work if gateway isn't in Bridge Mode?

Unless it's malfunctioning, it should NOT bridge itself.  As for your first question, yes your router will still work if the gateway is not in birdge mode.  You will have a double NAT situation, but things will still work, for the most part.  Incoming connections will be much more complicated port forwarding setups, and you might notice a slowdown for large data transfers.  Certain type of connections (like VPN's) might have trouble with this kind of setup.  So while it will probably work just fine, it's certainly not recommended.  If you are going to use your own router, get it placed in birdge mode or better yet, get rid of it entirely in favor of a regular cable modem or EMTA if you have Xfinity Voice service.

New Visitor
chrismkillen

[ Edited ]

Since I use my internet to stream HD video and play video games online, I can imagine the double NAT would or could be problematic?

I do have Xfinity Voice, and the SMCD3GNV they gave me has really bad WiFi connectivity and range, that's why I wanted to use my own router. Before using the router (located two floors below, in the basement), my wireless signal in my bedroom, according to my PlayStation3, was always between 70-75% strength. Now, with the router, it's steadily at 100%.

Do I call Comcast and speak to someone to get it bridged?

EDIT: If I call Comcast, or even GO to the Comcast offices, is it possible to switch this SMC for, let's say, the Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem TM702G? I'm beginning to think that doing that will just completely solve my wireless connectivity problems.

Networking Expert
Baric

As long as your router is decent, it's doubtful you would notice the slowdown due to a double NAT.  For a large download, it will likely be measurable over the total download time, but during streaming or game play, probably not.  Of course some connections might not accept the double NAT, but this is going to be on a case by case basis.

To get it bridged, youes, you call Comcast and have them do it.  But many folks have tried to do this and found the your typical phone rep is clueless about what you are asking, let alone getting it down.  I would still try, but if you run into a problem, then send a PM to ComcastLarry here and ask him.  He's a Comcast employee and knows how to get this done.

Switching out your gateway for an EMTA on your own is usually not an option, although I have no idea why Comcast insists on a tech visit.  But you can call your local office and ask, perhaps they have relaxed their stance on this recently or in your area.