Visitor

Wireless Router Keeps Dropping Connection - up to 2-3 times per hour

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: Wireless Router Keeps Dropping Connection - up to 2-3 times per hour

Welcome to the Forum.  Sorry you are having trouble.

Need more information to help us help you.

1.  What make and model number of your Router?

2.  What causes you to say the Router is the source of the drops?

3.  Whare the Lights on your Router and Modem doing when the drop occurs?

Visitor

1. Netgear WGR614 v.2 - that was in my post.

2. All the cable modem lights are on - including the"link" light.  And all the router lights are on and seem to be working.  But IP connectivity from the PC and MACs to the router is lost.  The PC defaults to an IP address in the 169 range rather than the 192 range of the router and the subnet mask changes as well.

3. All lights seem to be working fine.  Connectivity just stops.

I can't access the router at all using 192.168.0.1 unless I reboot.  So I can't get the logs off the router to see what happened.  Even if I manually enter a 192.168.0.2 IP and 192.168.0.1 gateway in my PC config, I cannot access the router.

I am going to connect the PC directly to the cable modem this am and see what happens for a few hours.

Connection Expert
JamesR

You probably already know that the 169.254 address means that the computers are not seeing the router and cant access the dhcp server in the router.

No offense intended, but I am curious about your use of 192.168.0.1 to access your router.  My netgear WNDR3700 is accesssed at 192.168.1.1 -- Are you sure of the address for your model?

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Positive it is 192.168.0.1

I can log into the router no problem after I reboot it (disconnect power, wait 1 min, and reconnect power).  But then I've lost all the logs.

I know that the connection between the PC and the router keeps dropping.  But that never happend with DSL.  The PC connection to the router was always rock solid.  I had to reboot the DSL occaisonally, but not often.  I just can't figure out why the router would start drop the connections to the PC and MACs.  It seems to maintain the connection with the cable modem.  The link lights are on for both tghe router and the cable and "i" on the router is flashing showing activity. But I can't logon to the router to see if it still has valid IP and connection because my PC and MAC can't seem to find it.

Message Edited by ScotchMan on 01-26-2010 10:32 AM
Connection Expert
JamesR

If you have an ethernet cable between the PC and the Router and you have a light at both ends of the cable showing the physical connectivity and yet after a short while you lose the IP address That has to be something in the Router dropping out.  Things I have seen cause that have been bad Routers, Low AC Voltafe. Bad Ground in the power wiring and bad Surge Protectors.

You might try seetting Static IP addresses on your Mac and PC to see if its just a bad DHCP server or if the Router itself is bad.

If you have a multimeter you could measure your AC  voltage at the wall jack and at the Surge
Suppressorl.   You could install an Uninterruptible Power Supply UPS which would ensure stable AC Power - No Brownouts and no surges.

Or you could just do what I did and replace the Router. (I actually replaced my router two different times and the last time I added a UPS to protect my stuff.

Just some food for thought.