Visitor

Wireless Router not working

My comcast wireless router has NOT worked for the last two weeks. I've tried unplugging, replugging from the modeum. I can only get an internet connection by connecting to the modeum. Please help
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Wireless Router not working

jkhuber wrote:
My comcast wireless router has NOT worked for the last two weeks. I've tried unplugging, replugging from the modeum. I can only get an internet connection by connecting to the modeum. Please help

You must power cycle the modem when you change the device connected to it.

Standard Power Cycle Procedure

Turn everything off – cable modem, router, PC(s) – and let them sit for a few minutes. If you have a modem that has a battery backup (telephony modems often do), press and hold its reset button until the modem reboots itself.

The order in which you do the following steps is critical - don't improvise! Turn on the cable modem, and let it come all the way up. Connect the WAN port (the one that’s by itself) of the router to the cable modem, and turn on the router. Wait for the router to come all the way up. Connect your PC to one of the LAN ports (there are usually 4 of them, grouped together), on the router. Repeat for any other hard-wired PCs. If you are not using a router, connect the PC to the modem and boot the PC.

Last, if you are using wifi, boot up your wireless PC/laptop and let it find the wireless signal. Once it’s working properly, check the top thread in the Home Networking forum about how to secure the wireless connection and prevent others from stealing your bandwidth.