Contributor

Wireless router not working with cable modem

I just switched from DSL to Comcast for Internet.  My two-computer network uses a Netgear router that also supports wireless, but the two computers connect through direct cables to the router.  If I connect one computer directly to the Cable Modem, it sees the Internet.  But if I try to connect through the router, neither computer can see the Internet.  This all worked with DSL, but it's not working with Comcast.  I've done the power on, network config, etc., but still no luck.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Tom
Connection Expert
EG

Re: Wireless router not working with cable modem

[ Edited ]
First, reset the router back to its factory default settings by using the reset button on the rear, or go into its configuration pages and make sure that it is set for *Automatic Configuration DHCP*. DSL uses PPPoE, Comcast uses DHCP.

Then powercycle the modem when connecting the router directly to it. You need to do this each and every time that you change the device that is being directly connected to it.

Message Edited by EG on 07-19-2008 05:36 PM
Contributor

Hi EG,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, resetting things per your instructions has not solved the problem.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

Tom King
Connection Expert
EG

O/k. We'll try some stuff.

First, I need to know the make and model number of your modem and the model number of your router.

Is it a telephony modem with a backup battery installed ?
Contributor

I did manage to get the router working with the cable modem, but only one of my two computers now has Internet access.  So I still need help (thanks for everything so far - sorry I'm such a dunce).

I plugged my computer directly into the cable modem, then I used ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew to get a new IP address from the cable modem.  Then I unplugged my computer from the cable modem and plugged it into the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614v6.  I used ipconfig/release and renew again to get an IP address from the router.  Then I used the browser to connect directly to the router and told the router to clone my MAC address.  Then I plugged the router into the cable modem.  In the browser interface to the router, I told the router to ask for a new IP address from the cable modem (should be equivalent to the DHCP renew function you asked me to do).  At that point, I was able for the first time to get connected to the Internet through the router connected to the cable modem.

However, even though my home network is working through the router (e.g., my second computer can see files on the first computer and can print things on a printer attached to the first computer), only the first computer can access the Internet.  The second computer just gets an error message in the browser ("The page cannot be displayed").

What do you think?  Thanks!

Tom King
Contributor

Oh, I forgot, you wanted the cable modem information:

ARRIS Model TM502G  (as installed by Comcast)

It does not seem to have a battery.

Thanks!

Tom King
Contributor

You might have to setup your networking on the computer that has the internet connection to share the internet connections, via the advanced tab on your network connections in the control panel and check Allow Network Users to connect through this computer's internet connection
Bronze Problem Solver

VerusTom wrote:
You might have to setup your networking on the computer that has the internet connection to share the internet connections, via the advanced tab on your network connections in the control panel and check Allow Network Users to connect through this computer's internet connection

Wrong advice. Both computers will access the internet and each other through the router. There is no need to enable internet connection sharing, in fact it will mess up the OPs internet connection through the router.
Contributor

Thank you, my bad...
Bronze Problem Solver

VerusTom wrote:
Thank you, my bad...

NP, sometimes we get caught up in a thread and post before thinking the issue through. I do it frequently :smileywink:
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

TomKing123 wrote:

I did manage to get the router working with the cable modem, but only one of my two computers now has Internet access.  So I still need help (thanks for everything so far - sorry I'm such a dunce).
I plugged my computer directly into the cable modem, then I used ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew to get a new IP address from the cable modem. 

That doesn't necessarily work on a consistent basis as the IP addresses that are assigned by the Comcast DHCP server are indeed dynamic, but they are sort of *sticky* (persistent) dynamic and will not be released back into the pool unless they are immediately needed, and that is rare, so you may not have gotten a new IP after all.

Then I unplugged my computer from the cable modem and plugged it into the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router WGR614v6.  I used ipconfig/release and renew again to get an IP address from the router.  Then I used the browser to connect directly to the router and told the router to clone my MAC address. 

Whatever it's worth, cloning the MAC addy should not be necessary on Comcast. It still sounds to me that the modem is not being properly powercycled.

That is indeed a telephony modem and if you do have Comcast's CDV service, F.Y.I., it should have a backup battery installed.. If it doesn't, you should contact them for one.

The proper way to powercycle that modem is to depress and hold in the reset button on the rear until you see the indicator lights begin cycling.

Then I plugged the router into the cable modem.  In the browser interface to the router, I told the router to ask for a new IP address from the cable modem (should be equivalent to the DHCP renew function you asked me to do). 

Ditto the above. That may not work, and I don't know why you feel that you had to do any of that stuff.

There is no need to jump through any hoops to get connectivity with Comcast as long as all devices are set to Automatic Configuration and to Obtain IP addresses and DNS automagically.

A router that has been freshly reset to factory defaults, and a properly powercycled modem should do it.

Are you certain that the network adapter for the computer that won't connect is correctly set for Automatic Configuration ? Are you also certain that the ethernet cable is good ?

Set the router back to factory defaults again then remove it from the A.C. power source and turn of the Computers. Remove all ethernet cables and wait a few minutes.

Reset the Modem using the button on the rear and wait a couple minutes for it to fully sync up or until you see the online light is steadily lit.

Connect a known to be good ethernet cable from the internet port on the modem to the WAN port (the one that stands alone) on the router. Plug the router back in and let it fully stabilize.

Connect known to be good ethernet cables from the computers to the LAN ports (typically a group of 4) on the router. Power up the computers. Any joy ? Post back if you still have issues. 

Message Edited by EG on 07-20-2008 07:19 PM
Official Employee
ComcastChrisGr

Your Arris 502 has a compartment on the bottom half of the MTA.

You need to pull open that compartment and then pull the plastic tab that is connected to the battery, then disconnect power to the device.

You should see all link lights power off.  You then need to push the battery back in and reconnect to power.

Once this has been completed, you can reconnect your router/computer to the MTA via the Ethernet port.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

ctg1701a wrote:

You need to pull open that compartment and then pull the plastic tab that is connected to the battery, then disconnect power to the device.

You should see all link lights power off.  You then need to push the battery back in and reconnect to power.

Should this method even be necessary if the reset button is functioning correctly ?

Message Edited by EG on 07-21-2008 07:03 PM
Official Employee
ComcastChrisGr

[ Edited ]
We have found with MTA's with battery backup that in some cases a full reset is only possible with a battery pull then power reset via pulling the power cord.  A soft reset via the reset button in some cases will not force the MTA to powercycle completely and pull a new config file.  It differs from the different vendors, but I happen to have a 504g sitting at my desk which is a 4 line version and I have found 100% success in this method.

Message Edited by ctg1701a on 07-21-2008 07:29 PM

Message Edited by ctg1701a on 07-21-2008 07:29 PM
Connection Expert
EG

ctg1701a wrote:

and I have found 100% success in this method.

No doubt. How could it not... :smileywink:

Would you advise that we first advise posters to use this method rather than using the reset button which is the way we are doing it now ?

Thanks for replying ! :smileyhappy:
Most Valued Poster
Michael

EG wrote:
Would you advise that we first advise posters to use this method rather than using the reset button which is the way we are doing it now ?

I would still recommend starting with the reset button.  It works in most situations and with most models.  Like the Arris, some of the RCA eMTA's will also require the full power cycle (pulling the battery).
Connection Expert
EG

Michael wrote:

I would still recommend starting with the reset button. 

Somehow, I knew that you would say that Michael  :smileywink:

Thanks !
Most Valued Poster
Michael

I am becoming too predictable in my old age. :smileylaugh:
Official Employee
ComcastChrisGr

In most cases a reset via the button will work, and I would still try that first given it is the easiest method for most users.  Obviously if that does not work, then try the full reset via battery pull as I stated before. 

eMTA's do have hardware and firmware issues like any cable modem, so if basic resets don't work, down the device for a full reset so you can refresh your bootfile and firmware and clear out any memory resident issue. 

Thanks

Connection Expert
EG

ctg1701a wrote:
Obviously if that does not work, then try the full reset via battery pull as I stated before. 

eMTA's do have hardware and firmware issues like any cable modem,

You should check some of my past posts :smileymischief: :smileywink: :smileygrin: 
Connection Expert
EG

Michael wrote:

I am becoming too predictable in my old age. :smileylaugh:

Me Too..... :smileysad:

:smileywink: :smileyblush:
Contributor

All hail EG!

OK, I now have everything working fine.  Both computers talk to each other through the router.  Both computers can get to the Internet through the router and through the cable modem.  What did the trick?  EG's advice to set the second computer's network adapter for Automatic Configuration.  By the way, the only way the router will work with the cable modem is to set it to "Use Computer MAC Address" - no other setting will work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tom King
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
Glad you got it worked out :smileyhappy:

You wrote:

>>"By the way, the only way the router will work with the cable modem is to set it to "Use Computer MAC Address" - no other setting will work."

Whatever it's worth, I have read posts about certain routers with certain firmware loads, and certain router and modem combinations where doing that was indeed necessary !

Message Edited by EG on 07-22-2008 12:10 AM
Email Expert
CCCarole

EG & Michael- You may be old, but you are good at what you do :smileyshocked::smileylaugh::smileywink:

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Connection Expert
EG

HEYYYYY NOW CC..... :smileyangry:

I resemble that remark ! :smileyshocked: :smileywink: :smileylaugh:
Service Expert
Bartleby

[ Edited ]
With TomKing's "hail, EG", and the comments about age, I was reminded of this bit of dialogue from Monty Python & the Holy Grail:
(From the scene where King Arthur comes upon the peasant in the field, digging in dung as I recall.)

King Arthur: Old woman.
Dennis: Man.
King Arthur: Man, sorry. What knight lives in that castle over there?
Dennis: I'm 37.
King Arthur: What?
Dennis: I'm 37. I'm not old.
King Arthur: Well I can't just call you "man".
Dennis: Well you could say "Dennis".
King Arthur: I didn't know you were called Dennis.
Dennis: Well you didn't bother to find out did you?
King Arthur: I did say sorry about the "old woman", but from behind you looked...
Dennis: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior.
King Arthur: Well I am king.
Dennis: Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

Message Edited by Bartleby on 07-22-2008 06:37 PM
Connection Expert
EG

Yer point ????? :smileymischief: :smileysilly: