New Visitor
PhyzEd

Zoom Cable Modem 5350

Ok, so before I went and bought my own cable modem, as Ive done in the past... I searched comcasts own list of approved modems. The one I got was the Zoom 5350 model, the last one listed on the approved list.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

So I get it home, go through 2 techs on the phone that say the modem isn't listed as an "approved" list, and they are sorry I got the wrong information... WHAT????? So i go and search google and find that Zoom and Comcast had a court battle about comcast squashing the competition. Any ways, now what? Comcast website says its approved but the techs are saying its not...

Anyone else have this model and got them to connect it?  I would like to be able to say someone else got theirs connected, why cant I?  :-O

Thanks in advance,

Troubled and very irritated comcast customer...

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Zoom Cable Modem 5350

New Visitor
PhyzEd

No not a Digital Voice subscriber. I see where your going with this, but if that has any bearing wouldnt the tech on the phone say so? The fact remains the website lists the Zoom 5350 as an approved/tested modem and mentions nothing about requiring IPv6 architechture for all modems or being a Digital voice subscriber, Which I understand will be or is managed by IPv6. It will take years to get everyone updated equipment that supports it..

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

If you aren't trying to provision the telephony part of the modem, I don't know why it wouldn't work. Sometimes the approved list is a bit outdated tho.

You can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com) and see if they can provision it for you:

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.

Contributor
rdfla727

[ Edited ]

The Zoom 5350 is not a telephony modem at all,it is a Wireless N, DOCSIS 3 cable modem gateway:   http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?tier=-1&devid=294&e=0&d3=1&s=&so=&sc=670    ,that was just recently added to the Comcast modem list:   http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/   .It is a new model Zoom modem.

New Visitor
lukedw

I have had the exact same issue today. Chose the Zoom 5350, have now been on the phone with them twice and they say it's not an approved device both times. I say that I bought it because it was on the list of DOCSIS devices that could be provisioned and they say that they don't know what to tell me.

No idea what to do now.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

rdfla727 wrote:

The Zoom 5350 is not a telephony modem at all,it is a Wireless N, DOCSIS 3 cable modem gateway:   http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?tier=-1&devid=294&e=0&d3=1&s=&so=&sc=670    ,that was just recently added to the Comcast modem list:   http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/   .It is a new model Zoom modem.

Yep. My bad.

Contributor
rdfla727

Try posting here on the Comcast Direct Forum,you might get it resolved there.  https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

Official Employee
ComcastSteve

For all with the Zoom 5350 modem, send me a PM (private message) with the modem MAC address.

Steve Teow

Contributor
Wastedspacer

I just went through the same issue with the tech trying to get a Zoom 5350 provisioned today. After some legacy analog connection issues out at street and discovering that  a  Comcast User self-install kit included a defective splitter, we gave up and got the old RCA DCM245 provisioned in the interim. He did suggest it might take a long while to register a Docsis 3 so I reconnected the Zoom and left it on for the past hour (just in case). I will forward my Zoom 5350 MAC address as soon as I get home.

New Visitor
bugbean

[ Edited ]

Hey. I just got my Zoom yesterday. At first the Comcast rep told me it wasn't supported but I told her that I had talked with another Comcast rep the day before and he assured me that it was. I also quoted the MAC address post by Steve. What finally ended up getting it to sync was that in addition to telling her the cable MAC and that it is a Zoom 5350, was that it is "Series 1092" per the label on the bottom. Apparently that made all the difference because her computer "liked" that information and allowed her to authenticate and get me online after one reboot.

Contributor
Wastedspacer

Gave up on trying to get the Zoom 5350 working so took it back to Best Buy :smileysad: hooked the ancient RCA/Thomson dinosaur and it works like a champ. With all the issues I,m reading about the current Docsis3 state, sounds like something old + well known + cheap or free if all I want is basic cable is grand. I was able to pick up a cheap wireless N router from Fry's for $25 which even came with a $10 rebate so I have the equivalent at a fraction of the cost of the Zoom.
New Visitor
drstenso

I work technical support at comcast, and while googling the model number for the gateway to set up her wireless, found this thread. I assure you it is a compatible device because I just got a customer online with it. try calling in again and make sure you're supplying the rep with the cable MAC address not the wireless MAC address.

New Visitor
bugbean

PLUS the SERIES # !!