Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

arris 722 indicator lights

just had an arris 722g installed this morning connectivity seems fine so im tempted to try a new approach and  leave it alone but... the "us" light which i believe represents upstream is flashing amber instead of steady green like the rest of the lights . I've read some information that said its ip address problem and i should power cycle the router and push the reset button on the modem and all will be well. Others said the flashing amber is indicative of the connection speed-the downstream "ds" is solid green

Connection Expert
EG

Re: arris 722 indicator lights

Are you actually online with this modem ? If the "US" light is flashing (no matter the color) it means that the modem is still ranging (searching for) a return carrier/channel to lock on to. It should be solidly lit if it has locked on. The modem can't be in "sync mode" if it is flashing unless there is some sort of a hardware/firmware malfunction.

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

i was online , i unplugged the router and the modem, altough i didnt remove the battery or push the reset button on the modem-from what i read and saw of the indicator lights the battery just serves phone connection. plugged back in now the us light is solid green , ds light is solid yellow and now the online light is flashing green. according to pdf manual i saw solid yellow means fast internet connection, solid green means ultra fast and flash green with online light means connections are made and cable company is attempting to retrieve information

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

went on router device page and found "use pc mac address " but didnt click it 

Connection Expert
EG

The built in back-up battery keeps that modem/eMTA "alive" even when the power is removed. Therefore in order to "properly" powercycle/reset it, the recessed reset button on the rear must be used or the battery must be taken out and the power cord removed. If you use the button you will need something like a bent paperclip or a pen tip. Depress the button and hold it in until you see the front panel lights begin to flash, then release. Give the unit ample time to fully re-sync again.

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

ok ill give it  a shot , was a little hesitant because one time on the phone withe a comcast tech he said i shouldnt hit the reset button. is there a problem if the online light stays flashing but the us and ds lights are solid as they should be ?  

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

I believe that the "Online" light should be solid.

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

ya thats what the pdf said but im not experiencing any connection issues , this was a replacement modem is it possible its an ip address issue that i should resolve in the router setup?

Connection Expert
EG

Nope. Modems are layer two. This has nothing to do with what is connected to it's LAN port. Perhaps it's a malfunction.

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

ya im prob confused there , mabe if i replaced the router there would be an issue with the modem not recognising the new router. ill try pushing the reset button if your certain that wont cause any connection issues

Connection Expert
EG

Those lights are all WAN side/RF signal (save for the "Power" indicator) related except for the link light which is LAN side/ethernet.

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

my modem and router are located on top of a cabinet in a closet so thats my explanation - it is the link light thats flashing green not the online light

Bronze Star Contributor
cldlhd

not easy to see have to climb on top of a washing machine

Connection Expert
EG

That's normal.