Reply
Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-25-2008
Accepted Solution

blocking port 5176

I have a laptop from work and while at work, I can connect to a web page on a system via port 5176, but the same laptop connected at home retuns 'page not found'. One tech at Comcast tells me the port is blocked and another tells me it is not. I have even connected directly to cable modem and it still does not work. I also can not connect using an SSH connection, port 22 at home either. Funny thing is, I have coworkers across the state using Comcast who do not have a problem!
Regular Problem Solver
Posts: 1,210
Registered: ‎04-07-2005

Re: blocking port 5176

Neither port is blocked.

 

You sure you don't have a software firewall that goes into "paranoid" mode when not on a work network?  Mine defaults to that and I have to set my home network as "trusted" before anything other than standard web and our VPN will get out.

 

Also, whatever you're trying to connect to, you sure you don't have to VPN in first to reach it?  Is it a public server?  Maybe it is behind a firewall that isn't permitting your particular range of IPs?

 

If it was just a web browser I'd say make sure your proxy is removed while at home, etc but that shouldn't matter, and definitely shouldn't impact SSH.

 

If you are willing to post the site, others here can try it to see if we can reach it.  Post a traceroute to it to see if there is a routing issue.

 


buck13 wrote:
I have a laptop from work and while at work, I can connect to a web page on a system via port 5176, but the same laptop connected at home retuns 'page not found'. One tech at Comcast tells me the port is blocked and another tells me it is not. I have even connected directly to cable modem and it still does not work. I also can not connect using an SSH connection, port 22 at home either. Funny thing is, I have coworkers across the state using Comcast who do not have a problem!

 

Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-25-2008

Re: blocking port 5176

Sorry, but the site is private. (work related). I do VPN in before I coupd even think about connecting to this page. Just for kicks, I tried the ip address (IE. 10.10.10.10:5176/login.html) and that works. Don't know why it is having a problem with DNS name. Will have to conect work network support and find out. Like I said same latop, works with dns name at work, but not at home when I vpn in?
Regular Problem Solver
Posts: 1,210
Registered: ‎04-07-2005

Re: blocking port 5176

Traffic within a VPN is completely hidden and encrypted, even if Comcast wanted to block something, they couldn't.  This is an issue with DNS at your company (likely they use a different DNS for the VPN network which is missing an entry).

 


buck13 wrote:
Sorry, but the site is private. (work related). I do VPN in before I coupd even think about connecting to this page. Just for kicks, I tried the ip address (IE. 10.10.10.10:5176/login.html) and that works. Don't know why it is having a problem with DNS name. Will have to conect work network support and find out. Like I said same latop, works with dns name at work, but not at home when I vpn in?

 

Networking Expert
Baric
Posts: 24,238
Registered: ‎07-28-2003

Re: blocking port 5176


Drinkingbird wrote:

Traffic within a VPN is completely hidden and encrypted, even if Comcast wanted to block something, they couldn't.  This is an issue with DNS at your company (likely they use a different DNS for the VPN network which is missing an entry).


I couldn't agree more, this is not a Comcast issue, but a VPN setup issue.  when you make a VPN connection, you will notice a new network connection showing in the standard places in Windows.  The settings for that connection should include DNS entries and it's those DNS entries which are incorrect (or missing).

 

A work around if you can't get your IT folks to correct the problem is to add an new entry into your hosts file, typically found at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts.  Simply add a line that looks like this:

 

10.10.10.10 some-cool-host some-cool-host.example.com

From then on, references to some-cool-host will go to IP 10.10.10.10 without having to resort to DNS lookup. Of course, if the IP address changes for that host at work, you will then be out of sync, but easy to correct.

Networking Expert
Baric
Posts: 24,238
Registered: ‎07-28-2003

Re: blocking port 5176

This reply moved to the Email forum as it has nothing to do with this thread's subject