Visitor

comcast "outage" notification

my internet went down this morning...after talking w/two techs i found out it was a scheduled maintenance thing to increase the capacity of the node.  okay.

a couple other things came of the conversation that have left me with some lingering questions.  specifically, it was not reported as an outage yet.  ok, fine, i did the chat thing almost immediately after the connection dropped.  however, he was able to tell me that 8/48 subscribers were reporting "online."

this seems odd to me.  why would 8 out of 48 online not equal an outage?  the tech also told me that both the Network Health page (that's accessible to customers) and the outage page that the techs use are manually updated. But there was already a tech on site (according to their reporting tools)...

so....8 of 48 are online, a tech is already dispatched, but this isn't an outage?  does this seem odd to anyone else?  does anyone know how something becomes an "outage"?
Email Expert

Re: comcast "outage" notification

My guess is that it's not considered an outage worthy of publishing unless it affects a large area like a whole city.  48 customers sounds like just one neighborhood.
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]
You also have to take into consideration that some subscribers turn off their modems when they are not using the internet.

Message Edited by EG on 06-21-2006 05:12 PM

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Barmar wrote:
My guess is that it's not considered an outage worthy of publishing unless it affects a large area like a whole city.  48 customers sounds like just one neighborhood.

that would make sence, except that yesterday and the day before when i also talked to the helpdesk it *was* an outage and they confirmed and said "it shows here there's an outage in your area...."  the tech i talked to today *did* say that the page is manually updated, which is to say, it's not an outage until it goes through several hoops and someone finally posts it...still...if it was scheduled maintenance, *and* the same node was down the past 2 days and *was* considered an outage...it's probably just laziness, really...

Message Edited by csreynolds on 06-21-2006 02:26 PM

Email Expert

There are outages and there are outages.  Not all outages warrant posting on the nationwide web site.