Contributor

how to provision new Docsis 3.0 Modem

Hi...  I just bought a new Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem...  A Motorola SB6120...  My current (in use) older modem is a Docsis 2.0 Motorola SB5100...  Do I need to call Comcast and give them over the phone the new modem's HFC MAC address or is there a way that this can proceed automatically these days???  I think I've seen reference to both but I am not quite sure...  My biggest concern is if the new modem can't be set up properly for whatever reason I want to be able to go back to the older modem immediately as I don't want to be without broadband access... So again, do i have to call Comcast or can I do it from some Walled Garden web page or what???   

Also, on first setup should I plug the cable modem straight into a wired computer, meaning taking my router out of the system for the time being???  Or can the router stay in???

Any help would be much appreciated...  thanks much... bob... 

Connection Expert
EG

Re: how to provision new Docsis 3.0 Modem

Yes. According to them, you should have your computer directly connected to the modem when trying to get a modem registered. Now, do you not see the "Walled Garden" modem registration page in your browser ? If not, then yes, you will have to call in instead of using their so called "automatic" system. Have the HFC MAC address and the serial number of the modem handy when you call.

Contributor

Hi...  You said "according to them"...  Is there a Comcast help document or something you can point me do that details the Comcast defined process for replacing one modem with a different (newer) one???  That's what I'm really looking for...  You asked if I had not seen the "Walled Garden" modem registration page... In fact, I haven't yet tried to replace the modem so I have not seen anything yet..  I bought the new modem and received it yesterday...  Now, before I dive in, I would like to have as much info as possible so, like I said, if there are issues I a can immediately fall back to the old modem so as not to lose broadband capability...  So I am just learning...  Are there any "how to" Comcast guides out there that you could point me to???  thanks much... bob...
Connection Expert
JamesR

Its a pretty simple procedure and there are no Guides that I know about.  Pretty much a plug and play sort of thing. 

If you are nervous about it, just call 1800comcast and get a tech on the line to walk you through it.  That way if the New Modem fails, you can just put the old one back in place and have the tech reprovision back to the old modem.

If you are a risk taker, power everything down, swap the modems, power back up modem first.

Then open up your browser.  If you get a screen that says Welcome to Comcast, just follow the bouncing ball and you should be up and running.

Perhaps, a middle ground would be to Call Comcast and while you are on hold waiting for a tech, start the Plug N Play process so that by the time you have it up and running, you will have a tech saying "How may I help you?"

Good Luck with it.