Visitor

internet drops multiple times a day

For the past 3 months I have experienced frequent drops of my hi speed internet.  Just goes out in an instant.   I have a dedicated drop from my attic that splits off the main input wire to the house.   Been through 3 technicians at the house, at least 20 calls to the phone tech support (basically they treat me like a child and try to sell me better plans or a service plan).   Comcast replaced the main line to my house, I'm on my 3rd modem and have had the techs checking every connection when they are here.    All ok when they are here but magically, a half hour after they leave, it usually goes out.   Resetting the modem (also disconnecting coax from wall) works about half the time, otherwise you just have to wait for an hour or two and it comes back.   My HD TV works great, never an issue. 

I was told by Comcast today that they are out of options and I should replace the wires in my house at my expense and that should solve my problems?  Really?   I paid them for the dedicated drop a few years ago.  I'm mad as heck, frustrated, and can't get resolution.   I'm a triple play (phone, HD TV and  blast speed user (what a joke that is) and this is where I am.   Does anyone have any ideas?

New Visitor
mycleach

Re: internet drops multiple times a day

I have had the same issue. Blast is a joke!

Visitor

my issue started before my upgrade to blast but has gotten worse.  How often does your service drop out?

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

We need more information please:

- Post your upstream and downstream signal levels. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). You may also want to contact Comcast and ask for your upstream SNR (uSNR) and receive level.
- Post your modem’s error logs.
- Post the make and model of your modem.
- Post the make and model of your router if you have one.
- Let us know if you contacted Comcast or had a tech visit.
- Let us know what the lights on your modem are doing when you are having problems.
- If you have already posted some of this information, you don't need to post it again.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

mycleach wrote:

I have had the same issue. Blast is a joke!

All internet connection problems have very similar symptoms. As a customer you'll see slow speeds or dropped connections -- which is how all internet/connection problems are manifested. Unless you are on the very same node (your neighborhood connection to Comcast) as someone else, you probably don't have the exact problem as another poster. The majority of problems are local to the user.

Contributor
CANoll

I've has this problem for 2 1/2 weeks.  Tech came out & replaced a line to my internet.  It worked about an hour.  This was Saturday & Saturday night I couldn't even use the internet.  Sunday & Monday it was pretty good.  Corporate held open my claim until Monday.  Told them I was still only getting less than 1 MBPS most of the time.  Said they would talk to tech.  Questioned about the old wind blown line to my house & their crappy Gateway.  They would get back to me..............it's Wednesday & I haven't heard a thing.  Couldn't even finish the Comcast speed test.  Other tests are clocking between .35 & 1.  I had high hopes for this, but it appears I'm stuck with LESS THAN DSL speeds.  I always got 2.7 with DSL except when it went out completely.  I'll give it a few my days & then I'm done.

New Visitor
LRS-Renton

All of these discussions about signal level, etc, etc, seem to be missing the point.  If everything remains constant, and the connection drops off more or less predictably, it seems worthwhile to inquire if something is going on between the cable drop point and the local office.  Now in my case I will do a remote access from work to my home, and quite reliably in the afternoon around 2--4 PM the connection will die, only to restore with a reconnect.  Since, as I said, nothing is changing, there being no one at the home to do anything, you would think the home physical connection is a constant.
Now to add one more peculiarity to the mix.  According to the Comcase channel listing for South King County Limited Basic Cable, I am supposed to get Discovery channel, which appears on 89-2203.  However, in the evening the Discovery channel will drop off completely while other cable channels remain.  I put a TV on the cable that has a channel strength indicator, and when the Discovery channel drops off the channel strength drops down to 0-12 from a normal level of 90-92 (these are numbers peculiar to the TV model).  As soon as the Discovery channel is restored to the normal TV set, the one with the channel strength indicator returns to about 90.  I am not absolutely sure, but it seems like the locally injected ads don't lose the signal.  I have seen one instance where the local ad was OK, but as soon as Discovery returned the signal died out.  The problem is that because of the bizarre Comcast support structure, it is almost impossible to find someone who knows anything about how this stuff works, and literally impossible to have the problem happen when someone knowledgable is on the line (mostly because someone knowledgable never gets on the phone, the rest because by the time I get someone on the phone the problem usually has cleared up).
So is there anyone who actually can make investigations of this sort?

Bronze Star Contributor
Lunkwill

LRS-Renton wrote:

All of these discussions about signal level, etc, etc, seem to be missing the point.  If everything

Discovery channel drops off the channel strength drops down to 0-12 from a normal level of 90-92 (these are numbers peculiar to the TV model).  As soon as the Discovery channel is restored to the normal TV set, the one with the channel strength indicator returns to about 90

So is there anyone who actually can make investigations of this sort?

In your case, signal level does appear to be the point. You need to book a tech to do some hands-on measuring and inspecting.

New Visitor
LRS-Renton

I would suggest that a careful reading would preclude booking a tech.  Good luck with getting someone over when the failure happens, and better luck getting Comcast not to bill for the visit.  A tech visit costs almost more than a year's worth of limited basic cable.  My guess is Comcast pays no attention to these forums and couldn't care less what kind of troubles might be happening at the office.  They are probably quite happy to hear that when they put up the ads the signal level goes back up to normal.  Any normal person would say to himself "gee, what do you suppose could make a passive splitter suddenly lose signal strength every night on one or two channels?  Do you suppose someone is out on the pole every evening playing with the cable drops?"  I work for a big company, and I understand that when the higher-ups don't give a hoot, the guys on the ground aren't going to get too excited.  You put in your time and get your paycheck.

Bronze Star Contributor
Lunkwill

[ Edited ]

LRS-Renton wrote:

I would suggest that a careful reading would preclude booking a tech.  Good luck with getting someone over when the failure happens, and better luck getting Comcast not to bill for the visit.  A tech visit costs almost more than a year's worth of limited basic cable...

If you have the meter, you can measure the signal; I generally wouldn't rely on consumer-grade equipment for anything other than a general indicator. At any rate, the last time I had a tech visit for a cable problem (not the service they have now for computer help), it cost $30. I had one prior to that where there was no charge because the tech traced the fault back to the cable that feeds my block. They had to get the cable crew to pull a new one then.

Your problem might be at the pole. Condensation on a bad connector or maybe there is a thermal problem there. In the end, the only way to begin fixing is to get a tech out there.

Visitor

I started this thread.  I had written an email to the Tech Operations Supervisor about my 3 months of problems and my frustrations.   He called me and promised to fix my issue, including replacing an interior wire if that was the only solution. You may remember I was told to replace my interior wires at my cost and that would fix my problem.    I was amazed at his offer but skeptical given my 3 months of hassles.  He sent a tech out on Thursday who rechecked all connections (no problems found) and changed my modem out again (this is my 4th modem in 3 months).   Its been 48 hrs, have had no issues and my speed is over 60 mbps on downloads, 12 on the upload.  Blazing fast but more importantly, this is the 1st time in 3 months I've had service for longer than a few hours.   

So, this raises some interesting questions.  Was I so unlucky to get 3 bad modems in a row?  I had been exchanging them at the local comcast store after the phone techs couldnt reboot them remotely.   The new modem is an Arris TG862G/CT, the others were older Arris TM722 which were refurbished.   Is there something different about the newer modem that is more compatible with my Blast service?   I'm not sophisticated enough with cable to know these things.   Or maybe by unsrewing all the connections and retightening them, it fixed the issue.   I hope my problems are over and am very grateful that the Comcast Supervisor responded to my request for help.   In addition, if I have any other problems, I have direct phone #s to the last tech who came out and his supervisor.  

For the folks who keep wanting to see the numbers, here they are from the new modem, which is working great.

DCIDFreqPowerSNRModulationOctetsCorrectedsUncorrectables
Downstream 140657.00 MHz2.36 dBmV37.94 dB256QAM338093648100
Downstream 233615.00 MHz3.64 dBmV38.26 dB256QAM221182524220
Downstream 334621.00 MHz3.33 dBmV38.26 dB256QAM2314284501360
Downstream 435627.00 MHz3.40 dBmV37.94 dB256QAM227653708940
Downstream 536633.00 MHz3.18 dBmV38.61 dB256QAM223979339460
Downstream 637639.00 MHz3.25 dBmV38.98 dB256QAM226766770850
Downstream 738645.00 MHz3.14 dBmV38.61 dB256QAM2196179921220
Downstream 839651.00 MHz2.51 dBmV38.26 dB256QAM22325359460

UCIDFreqPowerChannel TypeSymbol RateModulation  
Upstream 1136.80 MHz43.75 dBmVDOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)5120 kSym/s64QAM  
Upstream 4230.20 MHz43.75 dBmVDOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)5120 kSym/s64QAM  
Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, the stats are fine.

Visitor

I have the same problem. I live in Towson MD if the supervisor and tech cover this area, give me their phone numbers.

New Visitor
sharpeagle

For the last Month or more I have had the internet drop numerous times a day.  Every time I call or chat with tech they say it is something else.. But not their internet. I have moved the cable modem to 4 different coaxil connections and all have given me the same results. if it does work it will only work for a few hours or days.  Comcast must boost the signal for a day or 2 because after I talke to them the Internet stays good for a day or 2 and then starts acting up and will not stay live for more than 5 to 6 hours.  The HD tv is fine.
the replaced my line from the street a year ago so I am sure it is not that.  They want to sell me phone service or home security.. YEAH RIGHT I WANT TO BUNDLE EVERYTHING INTO ONE PACKAGE SO THAT ALL FAILS AT ONCE.  No thanks. My phone works and my home security works. Why would I want it to fail several times a day?  Sounds like I need to start shopping for a internet provider.