New Visitor

port forwarding - accessing modem

how do i access my motorola sb5101 so i can forward my ports for torrents and games? with bell south , i had a address i typed in and it got inside my modem...thanks
Recognized Contributor

Re: port forwarding - accessing modem

Well, you should be able to get into the modem with this address: http://192.168.100.1/

However, port forwarding is something that a router does, not a cable modem.
New Visitor

you folks might know. is a cable modem transportable? in other words can i take my comcast account to another system?
Email Expert

You already got your answer in the thread you started specifically for this question. What does it have to do with port forwarding?
New Visitor

Inappropriate comment removed.

Message was edited by: Michael

Profanity and attacks on other forum members will not be tolerated in this forum and may result in a loss of posting privileges.
New Visitor

Inappropriate comments removed.
Message was edited by: Michael
New Visitor

thanks to all who accually helped..
New Visitor

yeah i have the same problem, i used to have bellsouth dsl and could foward my ports (by going to a certain address) so I would get pretty decent dl speeds when using bittorrent files. now the bt file wont conect to the tracker nor will it download. any one of you guys can help?
Email Expert

As was said in the earlier responses, port forwarding is not needed on cable modems. They just pass everything through, except for about 5 ports that they block (and none of them have anything to do with BitTorrent -- they're all involved in NetBIOS and Windows file/printer sharing). You only need port forwarding if you have a router. If you have one and need assistance configuring it, you'll have to provide details like the router model.
New Visitor

I cannot see my ports opening at all specificly ports 22 (ssh) and ports (5900) vnc. Are you guys blocking these ports upstream? My router is configured correctly and is behind the cable modem.
Networking Expert
Baric

You should really start your own thread, you question doesn't have anythig to do with port forward on a modem (which makes no sense anyway). The short answer is no, those ports are not blocked. Several users have had a problem accessing ssh on their Comcast systems from outside the Comcast network, but they report the problem has mysteriously cleared up. If you are still having an issue, post your details in your own thread.