New Visitor
Kappy01

speedtest.net v. speedtest.comcast.net?

I was using speedtest.net to check my speeds and was very unhappy (5mbps down and 4.5 up). I was told to use speedtest.comcast.net and had the same results.

After we reset the modem, my speeds took off. I was getting between 20-30mbps down and 5 up. Yesterday, though, my speeds went back down to 5up and 5down according to speedtest.net. For whatever reason, though, speedtest.comcast.net is still saying at least 20down and 5 up.

What gives?

Why would speedtest.net and speedtest.comcast.net give me different results?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: speedtest.net v. speedtest.comcast.net?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Don't rely  on any of those speed test on the net.

Connection Expert
EG

Try this tool for testing speeds;

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/shaperprobe.html

It is considered a gold standard by savvy techs for accuracy and reliability in comparison to any of those run of the mill Flash/Java based type of testing sites. It has the ability to differentiate between the "Powerboost" burst speeds and the actual sustained speeds.

Regular Contributor
SGTAngry

Well, I've had issues with all of these things. None of them really seem to provide enough / any info to the people trying to diagnose my speed issues. 

Shaperprobe either gives me a reading that says "nothing is wrong" OR just fails and doesn't provide any info (other than the failure).

BTW, is there any way to reliably test pings? Just use a command line ping and tracert?

Networking Expert
Baric

ShaperProbe provides a wealth of infomation during it's run, if you are not seeing it, something is wrong.  If you are having an issue, describe it fully and post the ShaperProbe output.

As for ping and tracert, just use the standard command line tools on your OS.  On Linux and Mac systems, it's traceroute, not tracert (thank MS for the stupid nonstandard command).

Networking Expert
kevj

Baric wrote:

tracert (thank MS for the stupid nonstandard command).

Ahhh, some of us remember it well, the 7.3 character filename limitation in MS-DOS....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Send feedback to Comcast using the 'feedback' link on this page:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?SCRedirect=true

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

The speedtest.net site has routinely not made the best choice in which server to use when I run a speedtest through them.  One of the servers I see on the map of my area is hosted by comcast.  When I pick that server I get similar results to the comcast speedtest.  So, hover over the different test sites and look for one that is "Hosted by: Comcast".

Regular Problem Solver

dosprmpt.......comes to mind.......:smileywink:

Ahhhh.....the "good ol' daze".......!!!!

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

doczenith1 wrote:

So, hover over the different test sites and look for one that is "Hosted by: Comcast".

These will generally show better results because they are hosted right on their network's "edge" so that the packets do not have to traverse any "third party" backbone transit provider's systems. IMNSHO, the Shaperprobe tool is still more accurate and reliable as are multiple simultaneous (say four or five) "real life" large file transfers from known to be fast and closely located servers via a download manager app while observing the transfer rate. This will "MAX OUT the pipe and better reveal its true capacity capabilities.

New Visitor
wachikzai

the URL does not work

Connection Expert
EG