Regular Visitor

unstable internet connection

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I seem to be having a unstable internet connection all of the sudden.  Prior to two weeks ago, i had no issues with my internet for a year with comcast.  Suddenly, i lost my internect connection multiple times in a row until it was completely unavailable.  Here are the specifics.

BEFORE issue

I could connect to my work network through remote desktop no problem.  I could dl 8mb files quickly with no problem. 

AFTER isse

I can connect to my work network, however my internet will cut out after a few minutes to an hour of work.  Then it will cut out, come back on in two minutes, cut out, come back on.....rinse & repeat!  I do not lose connection to the network....only the internet

BEFORE issue

I could connect to PS3 and host 32 players in warhawk game. 

AFTER issue

I can connect but only host 4

BEFORE issue

I could connect to the XBOX360....no probs.....EVER!

AFTER issue 

I cannot get on to XBOX LIVE

DETAILS:

I have the same EXACT issues wireless as wired

I have the same EXACT issues directly connected to my cable modem, as well as to my wireless router

MY XBOX360 tells me that my MTU must be 1364 or higher...(yes the service is up).  I have no way that i know of to get to these settings on my cable modem.

MY PS3 tells me that IP fragments are not supported

The only settings that I have access to in the modem are the following

Recieve power level is -1.3 dBmV (which I believe is o.k. per the stickies I have read)

Transmit power level is 47.2 dBmV ("")

Cable modem has been changed (3) days ago

Cable tech has come out and found some damaged wires, but he replaced those (parts of the wire) and test the connection to be O.K.

I will perform any tests that you guys ask me to If I'm actually able to get online tonight.  One question for the tests....if you recommend any, please let me know when I should perform them.  The connection is so erratic that it may be on for 15 minutes, or 1 hour.  Then degrade slowly or just cut out "all of the sudden"

Thank you for your help in advance.

jp 

edit....thought it may help, i'm in a suburb of Pittsburgh (city of champions :smileygrin:)

Message Edited by poz51 on 07-23-2009 06:37 AM
Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: unstable internet connection

Please gather modem info during period of outage Up and down snr and power

Also, during the period of outage do a tracert to your work location where you are doing your remote desktop. Make sure to use the same ip address for the tracert as you do for the Remote Desktop.

Regular Visitor

internet didn't go out yesterday, but I had no upload speed at all.  typical results below.

8-16 Mbps (doubt it's right, but it seemed fast yesterday)

.03 Mbps - fail (only got two good resluts, every one else failed with errors)

*I tried this on my laptop, desktop, and ps3 with the same results (directly to cable modem

I did a tracert to google.com (listed below)

I also did a tracert to my works remote desktop as well I only had two results listed and it was very fast.  There seemed to be no traffic yesterday...I will try again today and post if I get something good.

tracert to www.google.com max 30 hops    

1 18 ms 9 ms 8 ms 96.72.44.1

2 7 ms 8 ms 11 ms 68.85.73.129

3 8 ms 7 ms 6 ms greensburg, pa.pitt.comcast.net

4 11 ms 26 ms 20 ms mckeesport, pa.pitt.comcast.net

5 16 ms 15 ms 17 ms mclean.va.ibone.comcast.net

6 14 ms 17 ms 15 ms edge1.washington1.leve13.net

7 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms google-inc.edge1.washington1.leve13.net

8 24 ms 24 ms 29 ms 209.85.242.50'

9 29 ms 25 ms 25 ms 64.233.175.219

10 26 ms 29 ms 27 ms 216.239.49.149

11 29 ms 28 ms 26 ms yo-in-f103.google.com

The only information available on my modem is the receive and transmit power levels....two checks listed below.

Receive Power Level 0.9 dBmVTransmit Power Level 47.2 dBmV

Receive Power Level -1.0 dBmVTransmit Power Level 47.2 dBmV

Does the no upload seem strange?  everything that I found pointed to firwalls, so I disabled all of my firewalls (ps3 doesn't have one anyway), but I recieved the same results.  It seems that my connection is more stable after the tech replaced the damaged cables, but I still have no upload????  I'm guessing that is my problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

jp

Regular Visitor

So I have a comcast tech coming out again to look at my service today.  I decided to do a little more digging and this is what I have found.

1. My ps3 says that my modem doesn't seem to support ip fragments (MTU..right?)

2. My xbox says that my MTU is to low

3. My dl is fine (based on speednet.com) by my upload is non existant

So after doing some research and a ping test I believe that the two are related.  I need to go all the way down to 1195 to get all of the packets to go through (at 26 ms).  This is VERY low....correct?  I'm pretty sure that I won't even be able to connect to xbox live with that and I think that it won't be good for my network.....any ideas?

Thank you,

jp

Connection Expert
JamesR

I have a SB5101 modem which does not appear to have any way to set the MTU or read it out.

However, my linksys Router does have a way to set the MTU.  I leave my setting at Automatic and that sets the mtu to 1500 which is reported to be the correct value.

Open your browser, Internet Explorer, and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit enterThis should take you to the login page for your router.  Linksys routers use no username and have a password of admin. If you have a linksys router, you should be looking at the setup/basic page and halfway down you shourld see the mtu value for your router.  Change it to 1500 and click on save settings.