Contributor

video buffering problems

I love comcast speeds of internet surfing, downloading, but video buffering on everything is pathetic.  I cannot watch any video sites ex.  Break.com, youtube.com, or fan.  All video will buffer correctly in the beginning but it will stop anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 through the video download buffering and then stop with no restarting.  I also use online tv programs like TVUPlayer and Sopcast and those stop constantly while watching streaming video have to hit refresh and then it stops again.  Seems to be as I am reading here there is no fix.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than change companies.  I am absolutely at wits end.  All recommendations considered!!!!  
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: video buffering problems

cingulardaniel wrote:
I love comcast speeds of internet surfing, downloading, but video buffering on everything is pathetic.  I cannot watch any video sites ex.  Break.com, youtube.com, or fan.  All video will buffer correctly in the beginning but it will stop anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 through the video download buffering and then stop with no restarting.  I also use online tv programs like TVUPlayer and Sopcast and those stop constantly while watching streaming video have to hit refresh and then it stops again.  Seems to be as I am reading here there is no fix.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than change companies.  I am absolutely at wits end.  All recommendations considered!!!!  

How much memory and disk space do you have? Maybe you are running out of resources locally.
Contributor

2 gig memory and 20-30 gig free at any given time out of 160 gig. 
Visitor

I am surprised more people are not complaining of this symptom
This was never a problem on multiple computers for me until about one month ago
The problem appears to me suspiciously like "traffic shaping" with the intervening software (Sandvine or whatever) delivering a disconnect while streaming
This is not BitTorrent/filesharing - this is with mainstream video sites using mms/windows media streaming...unbelievable
If it continues it will be cause to switch carriers
Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

BigEDCA wrote:
The problem appears to me suspiciously like "traffic shaping" with the intervening software (Sandvine or whatever) delivering a disconnect while streaming
This is not BitTorrent/filesharing - this is with mainstream video sites using mms/windows media streaming...unbelievable
If it continues it will be cause to switch carriers

If you want to be certain, Install a packet sniffing application such as Wireshark, and observe what the TCP RST packets are doing while you watch the video. 

You can capture this data and present it to the powers that be as empirical evidence.

Message Edited by EG on 11-23-2007 01:15 PM