New Visitor

weak signal and here is why...

My connection has been getting dropped many times a day for the last 2 weeks. I finally got a tech out here who said my signal is too weak, specifically my upstream. He said he increased my downstream but he needs to get a maintenance guy out to work on my apartment building's equipment to fix the upstream. That was supposed to happen yesterday. I'm still having problems. Here is my guess why...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ssnyder80/comcast.html

Anyone think that looks a little suspicious? And can anyone who knows more about networking than me tell me if these stats look OK...

Downstream Frequency 681000000 Hz
Max Bit Rate 3300000 bps
Downstream Power -1.97 dBmV
SNR 35 dB

Upstream Frequency 38000000 Hz
Max Bit Rate 256000 bps
Upstream Power 37.75 dBmV
Recognized Contributor
johnd

Re: weak signal and here is why...

Your stats are great, a lot better than mine and I am not having any problems. I have an Upstream Power Level in the mid 50's, close to being unreliable.
Bronze Star Contributor

Those splitters they have in there. You are sharring your connection with others as well as not giving clean signals. I have heard this kind of patch work goes on all the time. Don't carry the supplies they need or don't have them. Poor, cheap repairs
New Visitor

I'm glad my stats look good, unfortunately I am still having the same problem so that may mean their original diagnosis of a weak signal is not correct. A tech is coming out this week for the 3rd time in 7 days. I'm very unhappy with the fact that they did not contact me when they promised after it was supposed to be repaired last week and now I have to go through the same process again this week. I just love staying home for multiple days for them to come out and not fix anything.

Because of some other issue (I'm told) I haven't had TV or internet in 24 hours (I'm at work). That crappy patch job is equal to their crappy service.
New Visitor

If you have a Linksys modem, I would check that angle as well. I'm dropping connections with my modem and it looks like a modem issue. (went through online support with both comcast and linksys) Going to replace the modem with a Motorola SB5100 soon.
New Visitor

Actually I do have a Linksys modem. But I also have a RCA modem and they both drop at the same time.
New Visitor

Enter the following web page
click on signal
your "snr" should be between 32 and 40
your powwer should be below 52
If it is out of this range, you will have poblems.
Make sure the tech takes these levels at the tap.
He can determine from that point if it is a maintenance issue. If it is, it will take 36 hours to clear the problem up outside at the amp or node.
If the levels are fine at the tap, the problem is either the modem, or the inside wiring. Comcasts responsibilty ends at where the cable reaches the building. The rest is the owners responsiblity. Old crappy wiring cannot handle the bandwidth. Replace the wiring if you own the home, if it an apartment, MOVE!
New Visitor

How do you get those numbers running?

I guess I'm a n00b... how do I find out my numbers?
Security Expert
CajunTek

Depends on modem type. Most (not all) can be found by clicking on this link http://192.168.100.1
TANSTAAFL!!

New Visitor

Oh right..

I've done that, but I have no idea what the password is. How do I get the password?

I have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPX210.

Thanks!
New Visitor

Here's my numbers:

Down:
Downstream Frequency 705000000 Hz
Bit Rate 30341646 bps
Power Level -3.9 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 35.3 dB

Up:
Upstream Frequency 24784000 Hz
Bit Rate 10240000 bps
Power Level 41.75 dBmV

How does this rate? I noticed my power level is -3.9 dBmV. Is that bad?
Most Valued Poster

I guess you found the password. Those numbers a pretty good. Refer to these parameters: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3412
Networking Expert
Baric

M1A1 said:
Down:
Bit Rate 30341646 bps

Up:
Bit Rate 10240000 bps

Those rate numbers are way off. They appear to be actual modem limits (30Mbps down, and 10Mbps up) and not the restricted rates specified in the config file. Was the modem actually connected to Comcast at the time you took this snapshot?
New Visitor

I can't even get that page to load via my connection. I'm talking about http://192.168.100.1/. I've been sitting and waiting for it to load for more than 2 minutes now. My log shows it's reached the domain and has completed loading 1 of 8 items.

Now it says it's completed loading with 8 errors and it will try again. All the boxes have checks by them but no numbers for speed. I'll keep trying.
New Visitor

Thanks Anon:smileyhappy:, good reference info.

Baric: Yes, I was connected at the time.

I now have a new problem. It seems the bridge configuration is acting up. If I remove the bridge completely and disable the NIC and just use the direct cable modem->usb connection, it works fine. But the problem is, I'm no longer connected to the router, no more LAN for me.

I gotta figure something out. I don't see anyway to just configure the NIC for LAN and not connect to the internet.
Most Valued Poster

Sounds like you have a mess of connections, some of which are bridged, which is bad. Clean it up by getting rid of all of them. Remove all the drivers and then power down and remove the cables and nic card. Get rid of the USB connection to the modem. Power up the modem.
Power up the PC and look at your network connections. what's there? It should be clean now. Power the PC down. Reinstall the NIC, and connect the NIC to the modem's ethernet port. Power up the PC and reinstall the NIC drivers. DO NOT BRIDGE ANYTHING! You should now have one connection. If it's still not there, run the Network Connection wizard telling it you have a permanent LAN connection. Then reboot. It should connect to Net now. Now insert the router, power cycle the cable modem, then the router, then the PC.
Most Valued Poster

Good pickup, Baric. Config file looks foobar.

M1A1,
Did you by any chance reset your modem to factory defaults? Do have full connectivity with those rate caps?
New Visitor

Kraxin:

Good suggestion, only that I can't physically remove the NIC since it's the built-in LAN in the mobo. I guess it could be replicated by disabling it from the BIOS after uninstalling it from the Device Manager then rebooting.

I'll try it tonight.
Networking Expert
Baric

Yes, disabling the NIC in the BIOS should accomplish the same thing.
New Visitor

I too have been having problems with a constant connection. I just viewed my connection status and it stated the downstream was 651000000 Hz Locked.
Signal to noise ratio was 22 dB.
Power level was -16 dBmV.
Upstream was 30000000 Hz Ranged.
Power level was -54 dBmV.
I am using a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard along with a Radio Shack Bi-Directional 10 dB amp. to overcome signal loss through the splitter provided with the self-install kit. Any ideas from anyone?
New Visitor

Here's a good link from Anon:smileyhappy:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3412

Go here to make sense of the Cable Modem numbers.
New Visitor

Baric, you said my numbers are way off. What should I do to make it comply to more realistic numbers?

I did a 3 minute power cycle on the modem earlier this week. But I ran the stats while I was online.
Most Valued Poster

Your signal strength is way out of spec. The line should support good signal strength through one splitter without a line amp. If you're really getting 10 db gain, your line has an extremely weak signal. You may have to call Comcast to get it boosted or a new cable drop.
Most Valued Poster

> Baric, you said my numbers are way off. What should
> I do to make it comply to more realistic numbers?
>
> I did a 3 minute power cycle on the modem earlier
> this week. But I ran the stats while I was online.

Those speed cap numbers are provided with a downloaded configuration file when your modem synchs up. Check with Comcast to ensure that your modem is still registered.