Regular Contributor

2012 Increase Rate Hikes on Everything - Unacceptable

My bill increased 10%.  I'm gonna look at the possibility of switching to FIOs or Direct TV for my cable and internet service.

I suggest everyone else should too.

New Visitor

Re: 2012 Increase Rate Hikes on Everything - Unacceptable

I was thinking the same thing.  Unfortunately we are locked in for now.  When our contract is up we will be looking to change.  Our income (we are on a fixed income) doesn't go up but everything else does!

Regular Contributor
Commtech9501

I am not by any means defending rate increases by Comcast....or saying i don't understand the frustration...but just to bring a little perspective it is not just Comcast.

Several DirecTV users have written in to note that they're being informed of yet another round of rate hikes. An e-mail to users in several markets (you can let us know if you're impacted in the comment section below) informs them they're seeing rate hikes of around 4% on upcoming bills. "This year, the programming costs we pay to owners of TV channels will increase about 10%, but we have chosen to adjust the prices our customers pay by an average of only 4%," the e-mail informs users. "On February 9, 2012, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV programming packages and services." Most programming packages will see $3 to $5 increases, while DVR rental rates are expected to increase anywhere from $1 to $8 a month.

and...

Here are the 2012 prices as filed with the CT PURA.  Your pricing might vary.

Effective February 1, 2012, the monthly price of U-verse TV packages will be changing.  These price adjustments reflect increased business costs, including costs associated with higher programming fees.  Customers are being notified of these changes via a bill message (both paper bill and e-bill) in the December bill cycle as well as a reminder notice in the January bill cycle.  In addition, customers will be notified of these changes online at www.att.net/uversepricechange.

Effective February 1, 2012, the monthly price for U-family will increase from $54 to $57.  U100 will increase to $59 for those currently paying $54 and for those currently paying $59, the price will increase to $64.  U200 will increase from $69 to $72 and U200 Latino will increase from $79 to $82.  U300 will increase from $84 to $87 and U300 Latino will increase from $94 to $97.  U400 will increase from $109 to $114, U450 will increase from $117 to $119, and U450 Latino will increase from $127 to $129.

and...

With Verizon's FiOS build out largely suspended, the company is looking to ramp up subscriber totals in markets where FiOS already exists. On the TV front they're primarily trying to do that by trying to be a little more innovative in the DVR and set top space with widgets and GUI enhancements. Like any good cable company, Verizon is terrified of having to compete on price, though they have been aggressive in competitive markets (oh hi, Cablevision) with bundle pricing. Speaking to hike-loving investors and stock jocks, Verizon's CFO assured them FiOS users should expect price hikes this year:

Verizon Communications will probably hike prices for some FiOS services this year, even as the telco looks to continue to drive up penetration of its fiber-optic video, data and voice services, chief financial officer Fran Shammo said on an earnings call with analysts. "I know folks are saying that we are overly competitive in pricing [on FiOS]. But what I would say is that the pricing has not actually changed," Shammo said on the call Tuesday. "And if anything, if you look at it, there was a price increase in 2011, and there will probably be some more price increases in 2012 as we go here."

Of course when Verizon and AT&T got into the market they promised lawmakers that if they greased their entry and re-wrote laws to their benefit (some of them incredibly awful), the end result would be lower cable TV prices, and we can all see how that turned out. Meanwhile, consumer advocates and competitors are worried Verizon Wireless's new deal with the cable industry includes a quiet non-compete agreement that would freeze added FiOS deployment and jack up prices for consumers.

Again, i am not in favor of the price increasing for anything really whether it's cable, Dish, Phone, Gas, Food.....but i am always looking at different companies forums (i am in the cable industry) as i feel it helps me do my job to be "up with the jones'" with different companies technology and not just mine. Believe me when i tell you EVERY forum has complaints of price hike with EVERY provider.

Also if you try Comcast "retention" department lots of times they will work with a customer to lower their rate. I see it here locally a lot.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

It does not matter where you go, you will get a lower teaser rate, when that rates end you pay regular price its the same no matter where you go.  If you have fios in your are you should comcast they don't want you to switch and might give you a new promotion to keep you.

New Visitor
Kdrappo67

I had Fios 2 yrs ago and even after the promotion was over my bill was costiing about $1000 less per year for the exact same services. I'm going back to Fios.

New Visitor

I agree!  I came to this forum seeking answers as to WHY we are gouged yet again on our bill due the first of February 2012.  No notice, no warning, & whammo- another rate increase of $10.00++ and I just have the stripped down basics!  No frills, no special channels, features, equipment, nothing.

I suggest competition for COMCAST in a big way. They have a monopoly on all the major services & can charge anything they'd like. Also, what's up with the online payment process???  Why can't a person schedule a payment before it is due?  For heaven sake, COMCAST, this is ridiculous that you don't allow customers a chance to schedule a payment. 

If I had any option for internet & cable TV, other than Comcast, I'd take it in a milisecond!  Seems like grand theft to me.  Shame on you, Comcast.  NO warning, no notice to customers at all!  Even the utility company sends a notice ahead of time of rate increases AND allows you to schedule a payment ahead of the due date. You ought to be ashamed, COMCAST!!!  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

FIOs and DirectTV prices may be going up too but Comcast still costs more per month. 

I have the double plan (cableTV and internet) whereas my brother has the triple plan (cable TV, internet and phone) with Verizon FiOs.  Yet, my brother pays less than I do monthly which also includes his 3 digital cable TV boxes.

New Visitor
cubit

[ Edited ]

My bill (before taxes and other fees) went from $54.95 to $68.84 - that's a 25% increase with no change in service.  I don't begrudge a company a reasonable price increase, but 25% seems huge!

I called, and all they couldn't tell me why it was so huge. I'm reviewing my options now.

New Visitor
Vegcabnv

I left Comcast for fios, what a big mistake. My on demand was horrible, the Internet speed was the same as was my phone. When my promotion with fios was over my bill was ridiculous. The franchise fees are higher and all the other junk fees were higher as well. I like being able to go to an office if I need to and I do not have that option Fijoke. They lie lie lie lie. I went back to xfinity and I have never been happier.