New Visitor
oomerz

Anyone else get an unexpected $10 increase for blast internet?

I signed up for auto pay a couple billing cycles ago, and this billing cycle I checked and I found my montly cost was up $10.  As I was looking in my bill to see what that was for, I noticed a change in my internet billing.  It went from this:

Modem Rental 03/21 - 04/20 5.00
Up To 2 Lines
Blast (20m) 03/21 - 04/20 54.95
$29.99 X 12 Blast -24.96
Total XFINITY Internet $34.99

To this:

Modem Rental 04/21 - 05/20 5.00
Up To 2 Lines
High Speed Internet 04/21 - 05/20 44.95
$29.99 X 12 Blast -14.96
Blast HSI Add On (20m) 04/21 - 05/20 10.00
Total XFINITY Internet $44.99

I first chatted with an online rep, and this guy told me that the 20M rate was only a 6-month promotion, and I know I wasn't told that when I signed up.  In the end he told me I'd have to call and drop the service to the next lower level (12m?) to save $10.

Afterwards, I started to look more closely and I am now more upset, because I found the notes when I signed up and I had written $64/mo for 12 months down.  I am now 100% sure I was told I signed up for a 12-month promotion.  What is worse is I haven't even been with Comcast for six months, my service started at the end of December.

New Visitor
etsay33

Re: Anyone else get an unexpected $10 increase for blast internet?

[ Edited ]

I also received this $10 surcharge this month.

The online rep has told me that this is because of a 3 month promotion, and I would have to drop blast HSI to reduce the $10 surcharge.

I didn't record it, but I'm positive that it's $29.99 X 12 Blast for 12 months... it pretty much says there. When I talk to the person on phone, they said I had a choice between $24.99 for 12 months on Performance, or $29.99 for 12 months for Blast.

There was no mention of 3 month blast promotion. I do recall asking about whether the deal was full 12 months, because there was another deal that after 6 months the price would jump a little before the full price at 12 months. The caller told me that I would get $29.99 for the full 12 months.

I'm giving a call tomorrow and see what they'll say.

New Visitor
oomerz

I just called them and the rep said there was a code update and that threw billing off, and that I should be getting a $10 credit.  I confirmed with her what seems obvious: the "x 12" on the bill means a 12-month promotion.

I can understand it would be more work and cost to immediately fix billing, but Comcast loses a star for not sending out new revised bills and updating auto-pay once they found the mistake.

Now if someone finds out next month that this mistake was not fixed and the mistake remained two months in a row, it is no longer just a mistake but is something worth canceling service over.  Fortunately for me I have ATT DSL as an alternate option (downgrade to 6M internet but save $20/mo).

New Visitor
etsay33

I called comcast, and the associate said that they don't know this promotion before, but they assume that the promotion ended after this month, giving me only 3 months of promotion, and now I'm charged $10 more for the price.

They did say it seemed werid the way it's handled, and the whole x 12 seems 12 months, but they said that's how comcast is handling it now. I couldn't get them to fix the billing issue, other than offering to take off the blast addition to reduce the bill.

It'll be nice to hear how and who talked to you to fix the issue. For me, I cannot seem to get them to get them to remove th $10 surcharge.

New Visitor
oomerz

I didn't have to go through any supervisor/etc, I just called their main number and got to the department that handles billing questions, to a rep named Hada (id#19972).  It sounds like the person you got to is lazy (just like the one I got when I did the support chat online).  If they said it themselves that it seemed weird then they should have put you on hold to ask their supervisor who might actually know something about the matter.

If I were you, I'd not bother calling them again if you are very sure you signed up for a 12-month promotion (again, the x 12 would seem to indicate so).  Just wait till next month, and if Comcast is a professionally run company then you should see -$10 on your next bill and be back to the amount you signed up for.  You shouldn't have to call to have this fixed, as they should have reviewed and corrected the mistakes by the next bill.   If it isn't fixed by then, please post back.

New Visitor
etsay33

Hi, I liked to follow up on this thread.

I received my most recent bill today, and it seems it was a software glitch. My monthly bill went back to the original price, and they have given me a $10 credit from the last time when I paid $10 more.

I just wish that the customer service would have told me this. Instead, they kept telling me to get rid of the Blast HSI add on to reduce my bill and that my promotion period end, when in fact it was a computer issue.

So, props to you oomerz in finding a representative that knew what was going on. The few that I spoke had no idea what they're talking about, and were trying to get me to rid my promotion (which thankfully I waited until now to see if it resolved).

New Visitor

Well, not for blast--whatever that is. But my bill this month is 10.78% more than it was in Jan 2010. In response to an email query, I received an answer saying Comcast has raised rates 2.8% "which is less than inflation." I guess I have to go back and study basic math. I notice that the modem I was renting for $3 in 2010 is now $7!

Contributor
TruXter

[ Edited ]

You guys have to remember, that the sales people know they will never have to see your face, and they know if you call back, the likelihood of you connecting to them is very slim, so they will tell And promise you what ever they want to to make you shut up, or allow the intsall.

She gets her $2 commission, you are stuck paying $20 a month extra and all is fair....

What's wrong with her getting a profit? (sorry someone said that to me once and I thought it was stupid... Wanted to know if I felt any smarter saying it.)

Comcast has an issue they won't fix because this issue is purely progress in the books.

They don't straighten out the crooked employees for using these methods either.

New Visitor
directorcoop76

I just signed up for the Blast Internet service, 50Mbps for $44.99 per month for 12 months.  When I got my first bill I saw my promotional rate at $44.95, and an extra line for "Blast - Internet" for $10.00.  I chatted online with them and they removed that charge.  We will see when I get home if they messed with my speeds.  The promo said NOTHING about it being $54.95, it was $44.95 for the 50Mbps service.  They could not explain why it appeared on my bill. 

New Visitor
dhartlein

I have them on the phone right now - signed up for Blast at $44.99 a month for 12 months less than an hour ago.  The initial order - it won't even be installed for 10 days - came back at $44.99 for High Speed internet plus a $10.00 "Blast" charge for a total of $54.99.  Huh????  Not a good start at all - I have been on the phone now for over an hour.

I did take a screen shot of what I bought.  We may not make it to installation here.....

UPDATE - while typing, Natalie in Sales came back on.  She has changed my purchase to the $44.99 50 mbps Blast internet only, which is what I bought (again, I have a screen shot).  I clicked the internet only Blast at $44.99 button, but it linked to the $54.99 that includes internet plus basic local channels.  There is clearly something wrong with the website.

All is well.....

New Visitor
directorcoop76

Yeah I don't know what the deal is with the $10.00 charge...are they trying to see how many people won't notice and just pay for it?  They removed it on my account and my speeds didn't change.  Seems fishy to me.

New Visitor
scvezai

I've been paying the $10 extra since I had mine installed.  I was told that it was for Blast Plus.  Back when I signed up Blast was 25mbps and blast plus was 50.  They've since eliminated Blast Plus and it's just Blast but they're still charging the additional $10.

They've got no consistency in their pricing or their policies.  I just got hit with a $30 fee for an automatic payment that went to a closed accout.  I explained to them while I don't necessarily disagree with the act of charging for said fee, I disagree with the fact that nowhere in my subscriber agreement does it mention this fact.  I scoured my account and their site and there is nothing about a returned EFT fee.  They basically want me to pay an additional month service (9.50 late fee also) that I can't afford.

I'm now at the point where I'm going have to let the service disconnect at the end of the month since I won't pay a fee that wasn't disclosed and the fact that my service has doubled in cost when it was supposed to go up $10...

New Visitor
zoez

I just got hit with this scam too. I signed up for Blast (50Mbps) for $44.95 per month for 12 months. I created a username, logged on, and checked my order details. It shows an additional $10 per month charge for "Blast."

I just spent ages on the live chat, which ended with them escalating to a department that is supposed to get back to me within 24 hours. We'll see what happens. I'm seriously considering canceling and going with U-verse at this point. 

Here's an excerpt from the chat that really got me mad and frustrated...

Agent 1 > As per checking on the account, I can see here that you have Performance internet service promotion for $44.99 plus Blast internet speed $10.00.

Me > that's not what I signed up for

.... (I tell them what I did sign up for and eventually get transferred to someone else who is supposed to handle sales)

Agent 2 > You have reached Sales Department and I will be assisting you with your concern for today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to review your conversation with the previous representative. This will give me a better understanding of the issue at hand so that we can resolve it in the most efficient way possible. Will that be okay?

Me > ok

Agent 2 > as I can see in your account, you are currently using Performance internet for $44.99/month+$10 for Blast internet upgrade.

At this point I was fuming - there's nothing worse than having to have the same exact conversation over and over again. Agent 2 supposedly read the transcript of the chat I'd had with the first agent, but then repeats, virtually word for word, what the first agent said. 

Agent 2> I have checked your account and unfortunately there is no such package which includes Blast internet for $44.99/month.

Agent 2 > However I am raising a special request for you to the higher department, they'll check your eligibility and contact you within 24 hours.

Contributor
suze535

I didn't know that I had a promotion.  I was paying $29.99 plus modem, now they tell me it's going up to $49.99 plus modem and in 6 more mo. $79.99 plus modem.  I will call again but I can't pay prices like that.  It appears that everyone has a different price.  ATT sent me a notice that I can get dsl for $14.95 or $19.95 for 12 mo.  After that, they still aren't charging as much as this.