New Visitor
GrumbleBum
Accepted Solution

Charging me for my own modem!

I bought a modem from Best Buy the day I signed up for my service. There was a comcast rep right there in the store who showed me which one to buy. I got it home, and it didn't work. I called comcast, and they sent someone to my house with a new modem. He couldn't get that one to work either, but he also messed up my computer trying to get it to work.

Long story short, I removed the modem that comcast gave me, and returned it to a comcast storefront because I didn't want to pay a fee. I got a receipt for my return, and everything should be ok, right?

Wrong. Even though I'm using my own modem, comcast lists it as a leased modem and is still charging me for it. Worse, when I called to talk to them about it, they said:

"Well, unless you called us to tell us that you were going to set up your own modem IN ADVANCE, all modems attached to our network are assumed to belong to us, and we will charge you for it."

When I asked where that information was stated on the website, he didn't have an answer. Instead, he said he'd have to submit a request to the 'inventory' department which would take *60 - 90 DAYS* to complete.

This, my friends, is theft. I know they have a database of devices that they've given out, and who had them and when. They KNOW that the device doesn't belong to them, and yet they 'assume' that it does anyway, hoping that you never notice the false charges on your account.

If there is a customer service rep reading these posts, FIX THIS NOW. Heaven forbid someone gets mad enough to subpoena you to find out how common this is, and whether your 'assumptions' in billing amount to fraud.

My "confirmation number" is ER003765318. I expect to hear something ASAP.

Email Expert
madylarian

Re: Charging me for my own modem!

I've asked the Comcast administrators to look into this situation.

mady

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Contributor
eliza2

You are correct, it is absolutley theft.  They definitely have a database of devices that they've given out, and who had them and when. I myself am being repateadely charged every month for a rented Comcast modem even though I have my own, and they KNOW I have my own, because I had to call to activate it and give them the serial number, etc.

Just sitting here paying my bills for April. On my bill is a $7 credit for the February overcharge that I complained about... but in the very same bill, they've placed a new $7 charge for modem rent for March. And this is not unique, if you read these boards it is happening to everyone.

I am so done with this company. I am going to write to my county franchising authority. I just sick of this.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

Comcast Larry,

Respectfully, how or why is it that so many customers who own their cable modems are ending up being charged the monthly lease fee, please?  Based upon the number of complaints here and elsewhere, it seems to be more than just a "one off" error.

I've heard a couple of rumors:

1.  Comcast billing system automatically drops that lease fee on the monthly bills.

2.  When a tech does a home visit and scans the cable modem into his/her "device", the MAC number gets dumped into the Comcast database; thus showing as Comcast equipment.

Thank you in advance for your enlightenment on this.  Keeping receipts is obviously important, but if one has to call in each month and then wait to have the MAC researched is time-consuming and costly.

Thanks.

jaiswin

You are right,

Same thing happen to me, i just saw my bill and they charged $7 lease charge for my own modem. When i installed my modem and called customer service center that time rep. told me there will not be any lease amount on my bill but seeing this month bill it's there.

Official Employee
ComcastNick

1.  The system does not automatically put the charge on to existing customers, but the leased modem is the default option, the agent entering the order does have to manually change it to a customer owned modem to ensure the billing is correct.

2.  The MAC address of all modems has to be entered into the computer system to be able to provide service to that modem, otherwise the system will flag the modem as unauthorized, and deny service.  Just adding the MAC address to the system will not affect the account billing and generate a charge.  But, similiar situation, is that you have to manually tell the system you are entering a customer owned modem, or the system will believe it is a Comcast modem.

I am unsure if there is an audit system that catches those modems incorrectly entered as Comcast modems, then changes the billing accordingly, but I would not be suprised.  When a modem is incorrectly noted as a Comcast modem, what the agent you speak to has to do, is create a ticket to the warehouse group, who will then check the MAC address against our records and determine if that modem was originally acquired by Comcast.  If that modem is not ours, we correct the billing and apply a retroactive credit for the mistaken charges.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor
sha718

I too had this happen and kept getting different stories from CSR's each time I called in. I finally got this resolved after 6 months of being patient yesterday. Won't make that mistake again. I had to physically take my modem to the local office to have them verifiy against the inventory system it is a retail modem.  Seems to me that Comcast needs train their account reps better to keep this from happening.  From what I understand it is a simple option on the equipment screen for the customer account that is being overlooked.  Comcast needs to make some changes to prevent this.  My suggestion is change the system to force the reps to actively choose either rental or retail instead of defaulting to rental.

I did a search on this forum site, consumer affairs site, and a couple that are focused on customer complaints and this is not as uncommon as it would appear.  As more and more consumers become tech savvy, more and more of them will have their own modems.

New Visitor
SM4903

[ Edited ]

This is happening to me as well. They are claiming that the serial number shows it is one of theirs even though I told them in advance that I was buying my own modem, I have the invoice showing that I bought it, and the techniciam showed up and installed MY MODEM. I can't believe the blatant way Comcast is ripping off its customers. 

Shame on you Comcast - shame on you!! 

ETA: I sent an email to their corporate HQ who called back to inform me that they would refund me the money and make the change on my account to reflect that my modem was owned by me and not Comcast, PLUS the guy gave me his direct line. Let's see what the next bill says. Fingers crossed.

New Visitor
az2nm

Still happening. I called Comcast to cancel my internet service. They said my modem shows up as a leased modem, and that if I can't produce a receipt, and don't return it to the local office I'll be charged $30.00. I bought this modem back in 2005 when Cox was my provider in AZ. I brought it with me to NM to use with Comcast and have never been charged a monthly lease fee. The retention rep, Danielle, said "For some reason you haven't been charged a monthly lease fee." That's because its MY modem. Unfortunately, I can't find the receipt so I guess I'll have to return it to the local office here in Santa Fe. I'll laugh if they say, "This isn't ours, it's retail!"

Email Expert
CCCarole

Read ComcastNick's post further up in the Thread

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
gillatron

This has just happened to me as well. It seems silly to get a lawyer and have a subpoena issued for this......

New Visitor

I also own my own modem and from time to time they have started billing me for it......

Email Expert
CCCarole

Did you read the post made by ComcastNick further up in this Thread?

He explains what Comcast does in this situation when you call 1-800 Comcast and speak with thevBilling Department.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
URSCRUD

Same thing happened with our service. I just saw this and when I spoke to Comcast rep, she mentioned I've been charged $ 7.00 since end of November of last year. I bought the modem in 2005 and been a subscriber with Comcast ever since. How can they just start charging for this now? What changed? After talking with the rep, she mentioned I'm entitled to a $41.00 reimbursement. HuH???? You charged me ~ $ 60 for the last 8 months and I'm getting back only $41. I had to argue for the remaining money I'm owed. I'll have to go back and check my receipts from before Nov'11 to ensure they have not charged me for this other times. Great work Comcast!! You are no different than Verizon!

New Visitor
michaelcurran

I just had the same experience on Dec 4 2012. Had Comcast come out to look at my internet connection because my service went down. Guy comes out and figures I have a broken modem. He went to just swap them out until I tell him that I own my modem, bought from Target about 8 months ago. Same as everyone else on here, he called his superior and claims my modem was sent to me from their warehouse in a self install kit. Funny how the last 8 months I haven't been paying a modem charge, and had to call after I bought my modem to get the charge off 7 months ago. Good news is, it was purchased with a credit card, and there are no Comcast insignia anywhere on it. I have battled more with Comcast in the last few years, and wish there was a equal alternative. I am pretty upset about this. If I have to spend much more time on this "major fail " over a broken self owned modem, Iam going to file a complaint with the Washington state attorney general's office, the BBB, and To King5 news Jesse Jones...the worst part is the lack of customer service, I pay for this BS?
New Visitor
bpurdy

I just discovered that I've been paying modem fees as well.  I replaced my Comcast modem with my own modem I purchased from Best Buy nearly a year ago.  I returned the phone/data and cable modem to the retail outlet in Minnetonka, MN.  Comcast Larry, can you please see to it that my charges are removed and my account is credited for the past 12 months that this has been in error?  Thank you.

Email Expert
CCCarole

bpurdy wrote:

I just discovered that I've been paying modem fees as well.  I replaced my Comcast modem with my own modem I purchased from Best Buy nearly a year ago.  I returned the phone/data and cable modem to the retail outlet in Minnetonka, MN.  Comcast Larry, can you please see to it that my charges are removed and my account is credited for the past 12 months that this has been in error?  Thank you.

Did you already call the Billing Department about this?  What did they tell you?

I will notify the Administrator of your post. Do you have the receipt for the returned equipment?

You could also send an email to the We Can Help Team for assistance.

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

.Please include all of the following in your email:

Service address

The full name on your account

Home phone number & an alternate number where you can be reached if possible

Your Comcast Account number

A link to this Thread

A detailed description of the problem

Below is a post made by a Comcast Moderator you may want to read.

1.  The system does not automatically put the charge on to existing customers, but the leased modem is the default option, the agent entering the order does have to manually change it to a customer owned modem to ensure the billing is correct.

2.  The MAC address of all modems has to be entered into the computer system to be able to provide service to that modem, otherwise the system will flag the modem as unauthorized, and deny service.  Just adding the MAC address to the system will not affect the account billing and generate a charge.  But, similiar situation, is that you have to manually tell the system you are entering a customer owned modem, or the system will believe it is a Comcast modem.

I am unsure if there is an audit system that catches those modems incorrectly entered as Comcast modems, then changes the billing accordingly, but I would not be suprised.  When a modem is incorrectly noted as a Comcast modem, what the agent you speak to has to do, is create a ticket to the warehouse group, who will then check the MAC address against our records and determine if that modem was originally acquired by Comcast.  If that modem is not ours, we correct the billing and apply a retroactive credit for the mistaken charges.

Heartland Region
Technical Support
ASPC Mentor

New Visitor
warwickplayer74

Im being charged for my own modem as well. I was never provided one from comcast. I had my own from the beginning. It looks like a scam as many people are complaining about it. I guess they think people wont notice. They will fix it today or all services will be cancelled.

New Visitor
Cmcast_Stinks

Same here.

I registered my own modem with tech support, and am still getting charged for a leased modem, despite repeated calls with horrendous hold times and promises that "it's all set".  Stop the scam, Comcast!

Angry West Hartford user.

Visitor
LtColUSMC

Latest bill shows me getting charged for my modem.

I called the billing department 2.5 weeks ago and they told me they would elevate my ticket but:

1.  Nobody contacted me.

2.  I got chaged for the modem again.

Is there anyone at Comcast that is reading this that cares?

Rich

LtCol, USMC (Retired)

New Visitor
Pissedcustomer4

WOW!!! I am experiencing the same problem with Comcast. Perhaps we should file a civil suit. This is not the first time Comcast has tried to pull these type of illegal billing practices on us.

My fiance has struggled with Comcast for years as well.

Today, Im on the phone trying to work this issue out. Disappointed again.

The first billing rep. I talked to said he was taking the modem fee off of my bill. I asked if he was just taking the modem fee off my bill or specifying that I own the modem. He said specifying that I own the modem. I also complained that Comcast charged me $66.00 for an installation fee when I was told there was no installation fee. The rep said they would credit my account $50.00, but I told the rep they need to credit me for the entire amount since I was told there was no installation fee. He transferred me to the Retention Dept. 

When I was transfered to another representative in the Retention Dept. they told me I need to talk to the rep who set up the contract. Furthermore, I asked him to confirm that their system shows that I own the modem so I am not charged for it when we end our service with Comcast. He said their system shows that I am just not being charged for the modem but shows that it belongs to COmcast.

In order to get my own personal modem off of their system as belonging to them, I have to take out my time to go stand in their long lines and show them the receipt and box!!!!

So in other words, my 30 min. on the phone with Comcast didn't help me one bit.

This is NOT going to happen. Instead I am going to send a formal letter to:

Rick Germano, Senior Vice President of Customer Operations at Comcast.

New Visitor
Pissedcustomer4

Address:

Comcast Corporation
Comcast Center
1701 JFK Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103

New Visitor
Pissedcustomer4

FYI:

YOu will see this on your bill for months to come until you speak to higher-ups and get all of the names of those you speak with.

New Visitor
e1u5p8

In Nov. 2011, I bought my own internet and cable modem.  I may be mistaken, but I could swear they deducted the 7$ charge of my december 2011 bill.  Now, I reviewed my last 12 months worth of bills and found they were charging 7$ per month for MY OWN MODEM!!!  Looks like I will be making a trip to customer service.  They will have to show proof THEY own my modem (which they don't). 

New Visitor
NotHappywComcas

So now I have to send them a receipt for the modem! They are charging me $90 for a modem I don't have. I have had my own modem since I got internet service with them. I spoke with a Michelle and she want's me to fax her a receipt. Why am I going through all this trouble for their mistake. I am with you all, a class action lawsuit is in order. They need to be shut down and put out of business! Greed!!!

New Visitor
1959mustang

ok our situation is a little different but getting charged for my own modem the same.  We started out with a Comcast modem and when we kept having issues turned theirs back in got a receipt and bought our own from Best Buy.  Now we have received a second letter from them saying that they did an audit and saw that we arent being charged for a modem even though we have internet.....so the next billing cycle they will be charging us.  My husband called them talked to someone and told them we turned it in and have our own.  My husband registered it with the fellow on the phone and they removed the charges from the first time they did this to us.  Now letter two arrived, same thing.  This time I was told that they woulkd research our account, she did ask if there was a serial number refrenced on our letter for the item we supposedly have and of coarse there is not.  She out me on hold and came back five minutes later to tell me someone would contact us and come to the house to verify we have our own modem!  I told her I am not staying homewaiting for some Bozo to come to our home like we are criminals.  I asked her to giver me the serial number of the missing item and she refused, I said then how can I know you even know what you are talking about?  I explained I have the return reciept to which she replied well how do I know you really have a receipt!  Its time for a laywer or class action lawsuit, we pay our bills on line and I am not going to take time off work to prove something they are unwill to prove to me by submitting a serial number of the modem thery claim I have.  Morons!

Email Expert
CCCarole

You need to send an email to the We Can Help Team about this and how it was handled.

I am also notifying the Administrator for you.

Send an email to the We Can Help Team.

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name
service address
phone number
account number
link to this thread
full details of the problems

CC

Official Employee
ComcastKim

Hi, sorry for the troubles. We will have our team call you to get this taken care of.

Kim Pollard
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@comcast.com
New Visitor

Hello,

I too have received an automated form letter from XFINITY stating that a billing error has been made on my account that I am not being charged a monthly modem lease fee for a comcast modem and that a $7 a month charge will be added starting the next business cycle. I have owned my own modem since Feb 21, 2008. I signed up for my current service in 2006. I noticed that I was being charged a fee back in November 2012 and called to complain about it then. The csr simply took the charge off my bill and for the next month I was charged appropriately. On Jan 24th 2013 I received this form letter stating that the charge will reappear in Feb 2013. I called on 2-1-13 to complain about the letter and a talked to a csr named Mitchell. He stated that I need a receipt to comfirm that this is indeed my modem. I read him the serial # of my modem and he read one back that was different. I told him that I turned in the comcast modem that I was issued when I had purchased my own modem. He told me that his data showed that I did not. Obviously this phone call was a waste of 40 minutes of my time and made me angry to be insulted and treated like a liar.  When I asked him to speak to his supervisor he replied that he had just done so and that there was nothing either one of them could or was willing to do. To begin with this makes absolutely no sense to my why the digital serial numbers and MAC numbers on my device are NOT being read by comcast computers and NOT being identified as equipment that is NOT OWNED by the company. It is ridiculous to make me hold receipts for over 5 years to prove that something is mine. It is also ridiculous to be treated with such poor customer service by a company that I have partonized for over 18 years. I was one of the first Road Runner customers in 1995. If this issue is not resolved soon then I will terminate my service and never use this company again. I believe Comcast has/had the best internet service available but it is a shame that the company has such poor customer service and such poor business practices. You should not make the assumption that the customer is wrong and then assess charges for their own poor record keeping.  How long must one keep receipts?  Obviously the entire time you are doing business with someone.  This is what happens when there are no good alternatives or a company has a monopoly.

Email Expert
CCCarole

This post has been escalated to the Admionistrator for you.

CC

New Visitor

Hi,  I talked to "Brian" from comcast corporate escalations department and was assured that the issue would be taken care of and that "he/the team" knew all about the issues with many people being overbilled and charged lease fees for their own modems.  I was assured that the charges would be fixed and the proper bill would be assigned to my account.  So, of course NOTHING happened.  Still being charged for using my own modem.  Apparently all or most of us are liars trying to steal $7 a month from this good standing reputable company who has very knowledgeable employees and is alway right and they have a super awesomely GREAT records keeping department.  That's why I pay upfront when my bill is automatically debited from my AMEX every month.  Thanks for the lip service Brian.  If you want to raise the rates then be upfront about it and say "HEY WE ARE GOING TO CHARGE $7 MORE PER MONTH!  LIKE IT OR LUMP IT!"  This is surely not how a privately run company works. This is how the government runs something.

Email Expert
CCCarole

DMA7487,

I have escalated this again for you.

CC

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

But why is it that after a Comcast technician scans in a customer-owned modem that HAS been properly entered into the system (e.g. no modem lease fees to date), that the next month that modem miraculously is deemed Comcast equipment and gets the $7 lease fee?

And .. how can a customer be sure that the phone agent actually enters the special code that the modem is customer-owned?  Obviously it will be apparent on the next bill, but ....

hatofdreams

This happened to me too -- they wouldn't issue a refund for other moneys owed either.  Said that unless I let the $30.00 I owed them for my own modem go, they couldn't release the additional 34.95 they owed me.

The entire thing is a crock.  In the end you'll win the argument if you dig your heels in (I did, after three months of phone calls and emails, get the full 64.95 they owed me), but it's a shame they keep pulling this on people.  When the economy bounces back, people will leave their cheap service for a company that actually cares about its customers, and Comcast will be out of business.

New Visitor
hasan72

Ok. So i have owned my own modem for about 5 maybe 6 years since i have been with comcast never got charged monthly leasing fees or any of that but.. I recently moved to Texas from Illinois had to cancely IL account to get a TX account , fine no big deal. Now i have been getting letters saying i owe them $68.00 for not returning their modem, called spoke to billing and they said ok taken care of that was in September. few days later my service is shutdown. Called customer service , they said your modem isint registered shows i dont have a modem re added my modem everythings fine, but i stiil keep getting a bill for the modem not being returned and its apparently been sent to collections. this is way out of hand noone on the phone listens or fixes anything

Email Expert
CCCarole

Include:

full name
service address
phone number
account number
link to this thread

You can also ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Visitor
Garryfre

Yep. I have been charged for over a year, just checked my bill. I found this forum while looking for lawsuits to join or about suing them otherwise. I told them it was my own modem and they keep changing to back!
Email Expert
CCCarole

You should send an email to the We Can Help Team:

Include all of the following in your email

Include:

full name

service address

phone number

account number

link to this thread

New Visitor
KT_19147

I have just learned that this is an issue for a number of people.  I have just found that I have been billed for a modem every month since June  -- that's $63 in over charges (I know, shame on me for not realizing this sooner).

I just spoke with representative, Rob, who after at first telling me that he could only credit me $7 for the most recent month, came back and agreed that he could credit me with the full $63.  Sadly, I am neither convinced that I will see the credit nor that I will not be charged next month for the same $7.    My confirmation number for this ticket was 14484703.  If there is someone monitoring this board who could confirm that I will both be reimbursed and will no longer see the recurring charge, I would appreciate it greatly.

New Visitor
straycat6713

I have the same issue - the customer service rep indicated that I would not be charged for the modem I own.  Was not clear on refunding me the charges for the modem and now my current bill reflects a $0.00 charge for my personal modem and a $7.00 charge for the rental modem I never had. 

New Visitor
TLM1762

I have the same problem as most of you here on this thread do. Sorry Comcast, your customer service just plain SUCKS. I called in today to complain about this charge on my bill regarding a modem that has been returned months ago. Rep transferred me to another department, which was closed. So I wasted about 20 minutes with Comcast, but with no results. I hate to be a jerk about this, but it is NOT my problem. The error is Comcasts', so Comcast.....deal with it. We customers should NOT have to call in to complain about billing when there should be no issue if Comcast had done their job. We have reasonable expectations that there is competence & reps there know how to resolve issues. Just thinking that most of us will never realize these charges does amount to theft. Comcast, you have opened yourselves up to a possible class action lawsuit. I have not contacted anyone yet, but may if results are not favorable & soon. So therefore we should be able to cancel service with no fees, since you can't deliver on your end. Yes, I am frustrated as well as everyone else posting here. Do something to make it right with all of us. Sorry everyone, but thanks for letting me vent.  

Email Expert
CCCarole

The Help Forums are monitored primarily by fellow customers. We do not have access to anyone's Account and cannot help you. The customer service Reps, and the billing reps do not monitor either. Once in a while you will see a Comcast Administrator or Moderator post... Their Username is always in red text.

I would recommend that you send an email to the We Can Help Team for assistance.

Include:

full name
service address
phone number
account number
link to this thread

You can also ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Visitor
Garryfre

Well the rep got ahold of me and said he would take off the charges but for basic limited cable and internet Is a stinking 80 dollars. That is ridiculous so I will have no choice but to cancel all cable and give up tv. They know there is NO antenna reception where I live and no outdoor antennas allowed. A bunch of greedy money glutted extortionists they are with no more public respect than tobacco companies.
New Visitor
salamakhin_i

I have same sitiation waiting for my credit back already 3 month.

Email Expert
CCCarole

salamakhin_i wrote:

I have same sitiation waiting for my credit back already 3 month.

Send an email to the We Can Help Team:

Include all of the following in your email

Include:

full name

service address

phone number

account number

link to this thread

OR you can try:

ComcastDirect link on BBR

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

https://twitter.com/#!/comcastcares

Email Expert
CCCarole

Your post was removed because you violated the Posting Guidelines. Use Profanity Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Visitor
Garryfre

It is a common thing for customers calling to cancel to be offered a special or a deal rather than lose a customer. These offers are meant for NEW customers who rent their modem from Comcast and when the deal is activated it changes the field for tracking modem rentals verses customer owned to indicate a rental modem. "This is what leads to this quandary".

Source:This was what an agent from we_can_help@cable.comcast.com told me.

Now I am still being charged $80 even after the rental fee removal. Its unacceptable for me to pay so much for so little while unemployed and facing homelessness.
New Visitor
Satellite3

I contacted Comcast a couple of years ago to inquire as to why I was being charged for my own modem. I got no help or satisfaction. My total investment in my own modem seems to have reached the point that it would be feasible to just hire an attorney and pay him/her with the charges he/she recoups from Comcast. After reading some of this thread it's seems to be a very profitable part of the Comcast business plan.

New Visitor
straycat6713

One of the post to this forum suggest contacting the Comcast at WE_can_help@cable.comcast.com - I did this at about 3 pm yesterday.  A gentleman from Comcast contacted me within the hour.  He had reviewed my post, my account and my documented complaint.  He explained what they would do and made sure I had the case number.  I feel that the issue is resolved - now I just need to confirm on next month's bill to make sure everything is straightened out.  I found this to be very satisfactory.