Visitor

Collection Agency Issue After Return Of Equipment

[ Edited ]

I'm recently relocated and Transferred the comcast service to the new location.

The person who came to install the services, collected the cable modem
and DVR. He said my current internet

couldn't be started until i returned the older cable modem and dvr. 

I gave him the old equipment and my service started.

And now i just got a letter from collection agency demanding 380$ for
the box. This is ridiculous.

Isn't this a comcast policy that old modem should be returned before new services are activated? A policy which the new installation staff strictly follow. 

Now that i've been using the internet for 3 months, what's the point of raising this issue? I waste 2-3 hrs everyday trying to contact the comcast billing department and with the collection agency. 

Please do help in this regard. I have no idea how to approach the issue. Also i looked around and now am

unable to find the installation bill the person wrote 3-4 months ago. Can't comcast check on record that

my services have been activated and all the recent bills payed and resolve this issue?

Pranav 

Message Edited by Pranav on 02-24-2010 11:17 PM
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Collection Agency Issue After Return Of Equipment

[ Edited ]

You aren't the first and you won't be the last to complain of this issue.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Luckily I had the returned equipment reciepts.

It's unfortunate that you can't find the documentation. It would really help your case IF it documents the return.

Did you move to an area serviced by a different Comcast market? If you did, the equipment belongs to the market that issued it.

I will alert a forum admin to your post. Check back for a reply.

I realize this will not help you now; file it away for future reference:

When your equipment is picked up or turned in, GET A RETURNED EQUIPMENT RECEIPT. Make sure it documents that what you returned is a modem or tv boxes.. If there are any stickers with serial or MAC numbers, make sure those numbers are on the receipt. Keep the receipt in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. In the past, Comcast has billed customers for equipment that had been returned. Sometimes they lose track of the equipment and the receipt will be your proof that you turned it in to Comcast.
If you ship the equipment to Comcast, record tracking numbers. Keep those numbers in a safe place. You will need them later if Comcast bills you for the equipment.

You can also check the status of shipped items on the delivery company webpage. When you see it was delivered, print screen the delivery status. UPS also offers Track By Email. Use that option. You'll be notified when it is delivered. Save the email-again this will be proof it was received by Comcast.

I know from experience that having the receipts can save you a lot of headaches. I was able to pull out my receipts when a collection agency notified me I owed for Comcast equipment that had been returned.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 02-24-2010 10:50 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor

Thank you for the information. I have finally found the technician receipt. It does acknowledge that the equipment has been returned. Now i will have to visit the service centre taking day off from work.

Not happy with the whole process.  

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

If you read this before you go: make a copy of the receipt. If they want one, give them the copy.

Make sure you get something in writing from whoever you talk to that they acknowledge that the equipment was returned, and that they noted it on you account. Insist that the person's name is somewhere on it, along with the today's date.

Let us know how it goes.

edit to add: I'm glad you found the receipt. File it in a safe place, don't forget where you put it. Just in case something goes wrong and you need it again.

Comcast will have to contact the collection agency and tell them this is not a valid collection. Give it a week, call the collection agency, follow up with them to make sure they have been notified. If not, hound Comcast until they do.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 02-25-2010 11:48 AM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Already made many copies of the receipt. Don't want the issue to be repeated again. I'll make sure they give me everything in writing henceforth. I also contacted the collection agency which simply said that they'll resolve everything with comcast (and i don't think they give 2 cents about my credit history) which

if they mess up, i'll have no choice but to take legal action. 

Amongst all this fiasco nobody is compensating for the missed work hours and hassle. I wonder why was "accountability" considered as a core business value since nobody acknowledges it's existence anymore.

Message Edited by Pranav on 02-25-2010 12:48 PM
Contributor

You should be compensated for ALL of your time spent on this issue. I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney and take his advice on bringing action against Comcast.
Contributor

You should also have comcast and any other agency that did harm to your credit contact the credit agencies and have all of their claims removed. It's you're right.. don't throw it away.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

anon022210 wrote:
You should be compensated for ALL of your time spent on this issue. I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney and take his advice on bringing action against Comcast.

Only if all else fails. And only if the OP wants some sort of compensation. Pursuing anything through the legal system is guaranteed to make only a few people happy: the lawyers, who will get paid no matter what.

Visitor

I do understand the issue. Legal system is always the longest time wasting endeavor and my point of resolving the issue only gets delayed further. George the board admin at Comcast Corporate is really helping out with this and i appreciate his effort. Nearest comcast centre is 20 miles away and i don't

want to take a work day off. But if i hadn't found the receipt, i guess the experience wouldn't be short

of nightmare. The cable modem and dvr doesn't cost as much as the time and money i've already wasted

trying to prove that the equipment was returned. There should be some form of centralized state specific business practice. If one county comcast provider cannot communicate return of equipment to comcast at other county within same state, and debt collection agencies are brought into picture for such things, something is clearly wrong.

Contributor

You may not be fully aware of the negative impact of the reports against you to the private credit reporting agencies that comcast and others (the collection agency) have made. Have you tried to purchase anything lately and been denied? Have your credit card interest rates increased? Have you financed anything and been denied a resonable interest rate? The companies that made those false claims against you must request that those reports be 'deleted' by the companies that have made the claims against you. Otherwise they could remain on your credit report for a long time, and cause you large amounts of $ over time.

Don't rely on the government to help you. In fact, they're the ones who have allowed companies to rob their citizens blind.