Contributor
mason37185

Comcast Internet Essentials Program

I recently attended my child's Parent Teacher meeting at his school. At the meeting I was presented with a brochure in regards to the Internet Essentials program for children who receive free and reduced lunches from there school. As my wife and I looked over the brochure to see how to enroll, we noticed that the program was not available if you have had comcast internet service within the past 90 days. I am completely confused with this. A few months ago we wanted our children to be able to access the internet during the summer so that they could play learning games while they were on summer break. We ordered the cheapest internet service offered by comcast because of our low income. Our promotion will soon end and will be paying more for our internet service. I am afraid that we will no longer be able to keep our internet service for our children once this takes effect. I feel that I should be able to enroll in this program because all three of my children receive free lunches, and it would make it more affordable for us to keep the internet for our children. I have spoken with two different Comcast customer service representatives in regards to this matter, and I feel that the Comcast Guarantee was not upheld in this situation. As a Comcast customer, I feel that I have been discriminated against and I am very disappointed that I am not "eligible" for this money saving program.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Comcast Internet Essentials Program

I have escalated your post.  Please watch for a reply in this Thread. 

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

Here is the link to the program and it does say you are not eligible if you have service during the past 90days.  .  This program is just taking effect in the 2011-2012 school year.  If they say no all you can really do is cancel your internet service wait 90 days and then apply for the program.  You do sound like you meet all the requirements except for that one. 

http://www.internetessentials.com/index.html

Email Expert
CCCarole

Please wait and see what the Administtrator is able to find out for you.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Administrator
ComcastLarry

I do understand how important it is to provide this service for your children. Please utilize the link that was provided as this will be the best resource to use. Also you can use the telephone number that is also provided within that link.

Thank You

-ComcastLarry-
Contributor
mason37185

ComcastLarry,

I have called and spoken with a representative from the Internet Essentials department today. What surprised me is that she said that she is also a Comcast Customer and is dealing with some of the same issues as myself. She was very honest with me and said that Comcast should be able to help me in some sort of way because of the Comcast Customer Guarantee. She said that unfortunately there was nothing she could do because one of the stipulations was that you could not enroll in the program if you were a current comcast customer. I was transferred to another representative who was not polite at all and he said he could not help me. Really, how is this helping me and my family out. If you want to provide a low-cost internet service to low income families with children, why not make it available to all families, regardless of whether or not you currently have comcast internet service. I wish that I could find out how to contact someone at Comcast Corporate to share my concerns with. I will not rest until I find a solution to this problem. My children at least deserve that.

Contributor
mason37185

CC, Thank you very much for the replies. I appreciate your help since this is new to me.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

where are you located?

Contributor
mason37185

tennessee

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

can you give the town?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713
Contributor
mason37185

Sorry... New to this! Waverly, TN (Humphreys County)

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Comcast does not have a stellar customer service reputation.

This program is a prime example of how they could do something positive if they would remove the new customer/90 day restriction.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
mason37185

Well, I received a call from a Customer Service Representative from the Nashville office this morning. She said that since I was an existing Comcast customer that I was ineligible to enroll in the Internet Essentials Program. The CSR said that if I wanted to be enrolled in the program that I would have to discontinue my internet service for 90 days and then apply for the Internet Essentials Program. At this time we are under the Economy Internet Promotion and are paying $19.95 per month, and after the Promotional Period our service fee will increase to $26.95 per month. In our current economy and our financial situation saving $17.00 per month on our internet would greatly help our family to keep our service. The CSR said that they would try and keep our internet service fees as low as they possibly could. In my opinion, Comcast is only looking to expand its existing customer base by attracting new customers. My question is, "Why is there not a similar program available for existing customers who meet similar guidelines so that they are able to retain their service without having to pay higher prices?" I understand the position that Comcast is taking to offer internet services to families that do not have internet service due to financial burdens, but at the same time it is taking everything we have to keep our existing service paid up to date without having service suspensions or disconnections.

New Visitor
XPandorasBox

It's not right that existing low income customers are being discriminated against!  I need internet service because that is how I conduct my business such as paying bills, ect. I cannot just shut off my service for three months! Then pay extra fees to turn it back on! Existing customers should be included not excluded, that just shows me what Comcast thinks about its existing customers. Seeing we are already customers we don't count now?? That is what I call discrimination at it's finest!!

Both my children are eligible, I could use a cheaper bill. I could also use that new computer because my kids do not have one. I hope Comcast fixes this so current low income customers can make the switch. Unbelievable!

New Visitor
ballyK

I am so frustrated by this "Essentials Program", I think it's a load of fluff! A catch 22! As a low income parent, I can't keep up with the monthly "so called" great bundled prices, and I only have TV & internet. When my son went back to high school this year, I found out about Comcast's program..so excited..what a break, then I read the stupid rules;  what person today doesn't have the internet? So under these rules, someone like me must go without internet for 3 months, in order to get the internet for a lower price???? Who ever thought of these guidelines???  I know many low income families that are in fact late with payments because they can't afford Comcast's monthly prices, therefore they don't qualify for the program. SO WHO ARE COMCAST HELPING?  I agree with one of the other writers, comcast doesn't care about their current customers, it's all a ploy to get new people in..sad!

New Visitor
Amandajl84

I was wondering if anyone has yet to actually receive the service.  I dont have the internet, single mom, one income, just cant afford any extras so I was super excited.  I called immediately.  It took a month and a half for them to send me the application.  I dont understand why I couldnt just print one off the internet but okay....but a month and a half seems like an awful long time.  All I had to send back was the letter saying my daughter is a recipient of the free lunch program but now I wonder how long it will take to get approved and to get service up and running.  I thought we would have service by now.  I also cant find any information on the netbook they offer for $150.  I would like to know how that works and what exactly we would be getting,

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

@ Amandajl84.

You can go here and then look at the last FAQ - select FAQ and the last one gives some info about the netbook.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
thekid1959

Has anyone out there, speaking to all the happy customers...lol....EVER recieved a wriiten GUARENTEE? With regards, to their "special offers"....No? me neither. This is something that should be addressed, and fixed by COMCAST/XFINITY! Supposedly, their calls are monitored for customer service, and training purposes....and recorded. It, should not take a meeting with the Public Utilities Comission, or court. To have them do what they advertise.....Right?  "At comcast, we guarentee, that you will be satisfied with your service....and if not we will refund your money.....or "if your scheduled service call is Late!!!! "we" will credit your account......Eventually they do, But it is a WHOLE LOT OF WORK....for the customer, to get what they were promised, and/or sold!

New Visitor
LJH2100

I'm pretty certain that Comcast doesn't provide this internet essentials program from the goodness of their soul.  I do believe that the government has set this regulation and that it is paid for through fees of other subscribers.  One solution to some of you out there would be to switch to Verizon DSL (I know some will not be eligible because of availibility) with no-contract.  After 3 months, cancel Verizon then apply for Comcast.  As to the original poster, it will probably save you more than $17 a month btw.  You are probably going to be paying $26.95 + $7.00 (modem rental).  With the essentials, you don't pay a modem rental fee so it would just be the $9.99.

New Visitor
Dagaswife

I have received the Comcast service. I faxed in my application and was approved in 2 days. Comcast came out and installed the service a week later. I was pleased that it didn't take too long for us to get set-up. Since I am an impatient person, I called internet essentials several times to find out the status of my application. I was told that if the application was faxed in to them you could potentially get approval in as few as 2 days. I faxed in the application and then called them in 2 days. I received my approval, they set-up my account while I was on the phone with them and gave me the voucher number for the $149.99 netbook along with the phone number for http://www.goodpc.com @ 888-710-4156. If you are tired of dealing with Comcast, you can go to goodpc.com and click on the connect2compete program. It is the same program but you will do everything online (much faster in my opinion). My only issue with the internet essentials program with Comcast is that I spoke with the representative about the $149.99 voucher and they told me that it would allow me to purchase a netbook at no cost to me. THIS IS NOT TRUE. The voucher is really a coupon so that you can purchase a netbook for $149.99.

For those who currently have Comcast internet and are being disqualified for the internet essentials program, I simply switched to a different provider for 90 days. I selected a local internet provider and payed $15.00/mo for the service for 90 days. After that, I placed my order for internet essentials.

Bronze Star Contributor

The Public Library has free internet for anyone who needs it.  Also, I have a problem paying for Netbooks with my taxes, I don't have a netbook.  Why does anyone need these and why should taxpayers pay for it.  My son in law has been out of work a year and he doesn't get any help because he still has unemployment insurance.  They have just cashed out the last thing in the world they had, his 401K.  When that is gone they will go on welfare I guess.  My point is when did we decide that free internet was so needed?  My SIL needs a job, not a handout but he can't get either.  I'm sick of all the "free stuff" out there.  People should work for what they need. I can see free lunch if you are really destitute but free internet and Netbooks???????????????? Sorry, I don't see it.

New Visitor
mrsmoore

Hi, i have a few issues with comcast and this program as well.

When we switched to ditgital, comcast knew sales will go up.  After accumilating all these customers they offer nothing on television, this internet essential program is a backdoor to government tax brake, and the service goes out a lot.  Ive been with comcast since January in Huntsville,Al and i have called in about my service over 8 times. I was told the same thing about this program, they dont want to loose money by giving existing customers the deal.  Why should i disconnect the service in which i truely need.  And for an extensive period of time!  

New Visitor
danfisc

I also feel like I am being discriminated against and voiced this last time I called. Here is my story ...

Back on October 7, 2013 a tech came to install my service. At the time he said the pole needed to be tapped and someone else would be out within a few days. No one ever came, actually I saw a truck but no work was done as they left after a few minutes. I got a bill so I called, they zeroed it out and said they were sending someone out to install. Again no one came. I got another bill so I called again ... same thing every month with no results yet I continue to get billed. With the busy holiday season I was not able to call and forgot about it. Then a tech shows up to disconnect my service. He was confused why he was sent when there were not even any lines to my house. Said he would look into it. Never heard from Comcast until the early morning calls started saying I needed to return equipment. So I finally called ... spoke with numerous people and was assured someone would be out to take care of this. The date was set for Wednesday June 11, 2014 ... Again no one showed up and I was home all day waiting. Now I am still being billed. I do not have several hours to spare waiting on hold and explaining this over and over each month.  I feel they hope I give up and they don't have t do the work.

The last confirmation # I have is CR373683292

I will be filing an official complaint if this is not resolved soon!

Thank you.

New Visitor
JustBEEiNGmE

its not Comcast fault people can not pay their bills..... Everyone cant be eligable for everything.

New Visitor
barbie36ct

I am a disabled mother whose total income is Social Security disability. I just had to cancel my Comcast services, because I could no longer afford them.  I found out about internet essentials through a National Disability Helpline.  I called to apply, only to find out I am not eligable until 90 days have passed. I have been trying to work from home to supplement my income with an Ebay business. Now, I can't even try to work. My kids are older, but, i do still have one in the home who is a senior in high School.  I sure do qualify.  But, now have to wait to become more impoverished and suffer more losses. Why have a program like this to help Low income people and elderly or disabled people, if you defeat the purpose by making us suffer just to get the chance to apply. And also, I feel elderly and diaabled people should qualify regardless of having a school aged kid at home! Arghh...

Internetless in Connecticut for 3 months... It will have to be that way.