New Visitor
MBrownPGH

Comcast - Raising rates w/o Notice or Reason

For years I had been overpaying for Comcast's Triple Play and equipment. One day I finally tired of it and downgraded my service drastically. I cancelled Triple Play, and signed on for their basic cable service and  internet w/ Blast only. I also bought my own compatible modem to save the $7.99 per month lease fee.

Since I made the switch, my new bill was $66.03 every month. This broke down to $9.40 for basic, $55.95 for internet + taxes/fees. This month my bill increased to $70.25; basic raised to $10.25, and internet raised to $58.95. No notification, and no justifiable reason was provided by Comcast or their customer service.

The rep told me that they did have a rate increase, and the only thing she could do was give me a "promo" rate for my internet at $34.99 for six months. I said great, and then asked how much my bill would go up after that but she would not give me a straight answer. First she said $59.95, and then she said $69.95. 

I politely declined her offer and told her that I just wanted my bill corrected or a formal notification of my bill increase emailed to me. I told her that if she could not provide notification, I wanted to speak with management. She connected me to management as their was no notification.

The manager agreed that it was "odd" that my bill increased and after turning her down for the "promo" offer I had already turned down, she told me she would adjust my bill and it should be corrected thereafter.

This issue made be wonder how many other times Comcast has done this to me without my noticing? I'm so glad I finally started paying attention.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Comcast - Raising rates w/o Notice or Reason

Unless you are in a promotion comcast is free to raise their prices whenever they want.  There should be some notificaton though.  If you don't get a paper bill though I don't see how you would be notificed, I always seen little notices in my paper bill or on my actual paper bill about rate increases, they are usually on the left side of the bill.  There was a rate increase across the board recently. 

The question is when your next bill comes will it really be corrected?

Contributor

I'm assuming they'll be raising mine as well come May 1st yet no notification for me either.  Isn't this illegal?

Email Expert
CCCarole

You should receive notification of upcoming price changes sent to your Primary Username.  Are you checking there?

Also, you can view a copy of your current and previous bills by clicking on My Account, which will take you to Customer Central.  Once there, click on the Account and Bill tab to view your current bill.  Scroll down to view previous 12 months of bills.  The bill will show 'News from Comcast' which may contain price increases as well as other valuable information.  Comcast also posts a current Price List for your own area twice a year.  I got mine last month.  That is also available for you to read.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor

Nope...nuthin there.  Nothing on the bill itself (online), no added pages (online), and nothing in the mail (so far).  Is there a link to the price list?

Email Expert
CCCarole

[ Edited ]

If you have a new price list, it will show up right below all the other billing details.  I only see it about twice a year (when an increase happens in my area)  I see it on my Febnruary bill, not on my March bill.

You should be able to get the most current bill list for your own atrea at your local Comcast office.  If you click on the Customer tab at the top of this page, then click on service center locations, enter your address, you should be able to locate the Comcast offices that are cvlosest to you.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor
jwcc

Geez, same issue.  Sudden increase of about 45%!  I'm thinking of going DSL for 6 months just to play the system.  I was thinking that maybe they switched plans on me or something.

New Visitor
wolf72

I just came off a six month promo. My bill went from 99 to 120 a month, for both net and cable asked for a better deal and they could not get me one, so I dropped the cable, and here in a few days I am dropping the net since they want to charge me 79 plus tax a month, I checked around and found a lot cheaper deal for both net and TV.

New Visitor

Can I ask you what you went with? I've researched it but I just get confused and wonder if the service will be ok.

New Visitor
bigmaj

To Whom it may concern, I just received my monthly statement from COMCAST indicating a 9.95 increase over the previous statement the 2nd page indicates that you are calling it a"HD technology fee" I didn't have previous notice of this increase so therefore am not paying the 9.95  on this statement or any future statements. I first called customer service and even spoke to a supervisor they couldn't give  me a logical explanation for this charge. If this matter can't be rectified to my satisfaction then I will have to go elsewhere with my business. Please note that  I will be contacting Better Business also.

Regards, Major N. Collins

Email Expert
CCCarole

bigmaj wrote:

To Whom it may concern, I just received my monthly statement from COMCAST indicating a 9.95 increase over the previous statement the 2nd page indicates that you are calling it a"HD technology fee" I didn't have previous notice of this increase so therefore am not paying the 9.95  on this statement or any future statements. I first called customer service and even spoke to a supervisor they couldn't give  me a logical explanation for this charge. If this matter can't be rectified to my satisfaction then I will have to go elsewhere with my business. Please note that  I will be contacting Better Business also.

Regards, Major N. Collins

The Help Forums are monitored primarily by other users like yourself.  If a Comcast employee posts in a thread, you will see that his Username is in red text.

Your HD Technology fee is for receiving your HD channels, not for any equipment.  The first cable box is included in your digital TV package every month.       If you discontinue the HD Technology fee, you HD channels will no longer come in.  If you do not have a HDTV you do not need to be paying that fee.  If you have a DVR, in most area's that HD technology fee is mandatory as all current DVR's are now HD.

If you'd like you can send an email to the We Can Help Team.  But I think if you don't pay the fee your service will be disconnected at some point, as well as a bad mark on your credit reports.

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

.Please include all of the following in your email:

Service address

The full name on your account

Home phone number & an alternate number where you can be reached if possible

Your Comcast Account number

A link to this Thread

A detailed description of the problem

Contributor
jwcc

Oh, I see what happened.  It was some yearly deal.  It's really annoying that they didn't tell me a month ahead of time or when paying the previous bill, that there would be more money needed next month.  Something like an estimated next bill or email reminder would have been great.

Mentioning HD fees, I wonder what they'll do when they stop offering SD channels.  :smileywink:

New Visitor
FreakyFreeling

We moved and we were charged a $7.99 fee for moving and NOT having a tech visit. Tonight we wanted to add HBO to our account and they threw in last minute that there would be a $1.99 fee for NOT having a tech come out for a visit. I am not kidding. Have you all looked at the taxes and fees area of your bill? When shopping around make sure you add an additional $16-$20 in fees to your monthly total if you are going with Comcast. We are dropping Comcast on Monday. Their prices and ridiucous fees have gotten way out of hand.

New Visitor
ArcAiN6

I see all these posts about 6 - 30 dollar increases in thier bill.. try $70.oo !!

My apartment complex had a " deal " with comcast, all apartments would have basic cable, and the complex would foot the bill. Since then, comcast switched to toally digital service. This means requireing a box, and all that junk.

When this changeover happened, a comcast rep came and talked with alot of us, and alot of us signed up for the new digital tripple pplay thing (phone, internet, cable) because it was about 100$ cheaper than having cable and  dsl/phone  from ATT.

At no time where we informed of ANY rate changes, infact, when questioned, we were told the only increase would be for pay channels like HBO, and Stars wich were on promo.

Here it is two years later, and our bill jumped $70.oo. We called, and they said that the promo was over, and that EVERYTHING had gone up in price.

Wer dropped HBO, and a speed level in internet. If anything like last time we " changed service " we'll get double billed again.

NOTICE: Do NOT change your comcast packages during the middle of the month (this include " adding " features)

Here's how comcast RIPS YOU OFF!

when you add, or subtract from your packages, comcast will immediately bill you for the full month of server for what you already have, they will also issue a bill at the end of the month..

What this means to YOU:

Say your current bill is 150/mo
and you add HBO for 15/mo

You will be billed 150 for that month, as well as 165 (because your package changed)
For a total of 305$

Comcast tries to get away with this fraud by telling you " we only billed you half for the previous package, and full for the new one because your bill is billed 1 month in advance " Wich even if the math added up that way, would be utter bull, as if that were the case, you would have already payed for this month's " half " of the old package, and that payment should be reflected in the bill.

I have a feeling this will happen to me, since i was just strongarmed into dropping channels, and speed.. (evidently, HBO is 35/month??)

If i DO get double billed like this at the end of the month, i will be dropping Comcast all together, and either going back to ATT for DSL phone, or look into alternatives like FIOS.

New Visitor
fatherevil

With all the people that have comcast in the US why is there not a class action against them. I just lost 143.00 in 3 months. With all the people they have and figure I am 1 out of a hundred that this happened to. They have made over a million dollares in three months

New Visitor
New Visitor
x_

I just received our Comcast  triple play bill for February 2013 and found it increased by $30! We were not given notice or a reason ahead of the bill or with the bill. This increase was on top of a previous $30 increase from our initial amount, so the cost of the total bill with equipment (1 digital box and 1 modem) is a whopping $191.73!  We like certain features of Comcast, but we do have our limits. Will have to shop around, as this is too high a bill per month.

New Visitor
anotherannoyed

Couldn't agree more.  Comcast just raised my rate$16.  When I called, I was basically told too bad.  When I said maybe I'd cancel, I was told I couldn't sign up again for 3 months and good luck finding anything else.

Comcast has way too many add-on charges. I've heard ROKU works great and is easy to use or I could unbundle my services. There must be other options! 

Contributor

anotherannoyed wrote:

Comcast just raised my rate$16.  When I called, I was basically told too bad.  When I said maybe I'd cancel, I was told I couldn't sign up again for 3 months and good luck finding anything else.

This is what happens when you (they) have a monopoly in most areas.

New Visitor
Scammers

This happened to me before as well and when I questioned the sudden increase without any notice I was told "your bill is your notice"!  So much for customer service.  Its is all about $$ and greed.

New Visitor
zappo777

All the companies have done this--I was told my rates would not change--because it was not a promo----29 dollars for internet and 29 dollars for cable---58 dollars+ taxes---64 dollars---went up 5 dollars---no reason or notice--i will be in touch with them monday!! (69 dollars)?????:smileysad:

New Visitor
zappo777

who??

New Visitor
terrybarsness

they doubled my rate for the last few months i just figured it out, i had a rate of around 70 dollers per month, the rip of people that try to get the percents up have tryed to swich me around, a few times to get me on there new higher rates i have said no every time, what i did do is add service max and some others at a lower rate for a six months, and they took me of the good rate with no notice now i pay 120 something for internet and basic cable with the added channles it comes out to over 175 dollers a month,  that a car payment, when will it stop they need to be sued. sizned ripoffed 

New Visitor
S-Scott

This is an ongoing isssue Comcast in known for just google  this issure

It again has happened to me for the fourth time in 6 months

There is simply an ongoing ruse on customers No other business operates like that NOT ONE

Constant unauthorized changes to the account and when asked they tell me "we dont know who made

the changes there are only intials"  I dont believe  that for a second

not  a business a circus

no other company operates like this not one

Wikipedia the Succesor Companay "Adelphia Cable"

and read About their principals John Riggins and sons Timonty & Michale and where they currently

reside.

aside from all the complaints on google and here

My Friend in Chicago said every month he had to call to get billing fixed

mailing promotions for 6 months every other week,

Untitl he Switched to A&T where this Behavior does

not happen  & the best customer service and

as soon as they are done laying fiber optic where

i am its bye bye

Contributor
jwcc

Let's see... first post and saying what looks like a copied and pasted astroturf... Yeah, bye-bye. :smileysilly:
Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

If you want to control the costs imposed by Comcast, subscribe to their Performance Starter. This will allow for great TV as well as internet service for less than 50 bucks a month. Many Comcast subscribers just aren’t aware of this option and Comcast does not promote it. It’s a perfect solution if you are sick of getting your rates raised as well as paying triple digit monthly bills and, as far as I’m concerned, it is well worth the sacrifices. I’ve posted about it elsewhere on the Comcast site but you can click on this link to read more…

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/WE-WANT-NETFLIX-SUPER-HD/td-p/1691409

Contributor
mrcountry44

You said in your post that the first box is free. I only have one box, its an hd box and i am being charged $17.99 per month for the box. Am i not supposed to be charged as they are doing?

Regular Contributor
mrobles38

This happens all the time.  When they do this to me, they claim that it was a 6 month promotion when I was told it was a 12 month promotion, in addition it wasn't even 6 months later when they changed the rates on me.  They had no explation for it.  The last time this happen, I had a double play after trying to get ride of my home phone for more than a year, I have NEVER used it.  I was also told they couldn't take my home phone off my account because I would have to set up a whole new account and would be charged for the initial charges, thus costing me more than I was already paying.

After having the double play and countless increases, I called again and was told the only thing they could do was add a home phone and give me a triple play account.  That would lower my bill and give me my DVR free for 24 months.  After being on the phone over an hour I finally said ok add the home phone.  My bill did go down, however I am waiting for the month they decided to increase my bill with out my knowledge.  I am sure it will be before 24 months and they will claiim there is no 24 month contracts. 

In your message, you mention that your cost for basic was $9.40 and $55.95 for internet,  your new bill was $10.25 and $58.95 for internet, how is that an increase of $70.25?  Sorry your numbers are confusing

New Visitor
avalanche1225

The same thing happened to me.I turned all my tripple play equipment in over miss quoted prices from the rep that set up the deal. After I told him I was with Dishnetwork an he agreed to match there prices.I kept the internet for $19.99 using my own modem(motorola sb6121(Docsis 3.0 certified).This is better than the one they are advertising with their high speed package.I just looked at my bill $61 can u believe this.My speed test is (57.26 download and 11.62 upload) no speed increase at all so why are they increasing my bill because big buissness always take advantage of the middle class.They always have and always will.

Frequent Visitor

o my goodness!!  my bill just doubled ! They said I owed 1200.00$ O f course thats wrong and I was double billed for everything, not only double billed but rate increases across the board.  I have been on the phone dealing with people for 6 days now! In the meantime since I had a billing infquiry , they said I had a past due balance and oddly enough my cable went down in the process, odd don't

you think.  lAm looking into direct TV and just basic internet ..  this has  been a nightmare!

New Visitor
gregk5224

I only glanced at a few of the resonses, so I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but....Now I find that new customers can sign up for $89.99/month for the same options that would cost me $171!!! This is upsurd. Comcast really needs to look at how they do business. Apparently any cable company gets you hooked and then plans to raise their rates little by little as the years go on. I think I may just stick with my basic internet and apple TV as this is the only thing that cost a one time fee!!! At least I can depend on it to now screw me!

New Visitor
sharrison12

[ Edited ]

Can't trust Comcast even with a contract!  A representative came to my house and we signed a 24 month contract with comcast.  We had a problem with one of our boxes, went round and round to get it fixed.  A Tech came out and replaced our box.  Then Comcast went up on my bundle $30 a month.  I have a signed contract stating that I was guaranteed this rate for another year.  All we did is switch out a non-working box for a working box (of course after hours of frustration, and no show no call on the original tech appointment)  We have spent well over 5 hours this past week trying to get our bill corrected.  I have had nothing but frustration with comcast lack of customer service since day 1.  I have been promised by several people that someone would call me back, well no call from comcast!  Surprise!  Surprise! So, if comcast can breach a signed contract, then I wonder what else they will try and pull on customers?!  I could go on and on with my customer service issues with comcast....It is a shame a company can jerk people around.  I guess if I attempted to cancel they would try and charge me the early termination fee that part of the contract they would honor!  Just sayin

Regular Contributor
mrobles38

There has got to be a way to away to get ride of comcast cable, maybe keep the internet and watch TV via a blue ray player???  I bought a blue player and when I finally hooked it up, the first thing shows up is a menu with Netflix, CD/Blue Ray, Facebook and a couple of other optionsI am wondering why that wouldn't work for me to watch TVThe only thing is I can't figure out why I can't get the sound to workI am not technical and I'm sure it's just a cable in the wrong socket issue

Anyone have any thoughts regarding this optionWhat about Chromecast?

Thanks,

Manuel

Regular Contributor
mrobles38

I didn't have anyone come out, I actually try not to let them come out as it creates more problems than I started withRegarding the 24 month contractthe last time I contacted Comcast because of all the changes on my bill that I didn't understand, I was immediately transferred to another departmentThe original person didn't even offer to help me understand why my bill had almost doubled

When the next person answered, she answered, "Retention. how can I help you"?  I was surprised because it wasn't a retention issue, however the associate talked me into completely changing my plan so that I would benefit from a different packageI don't need 300 stations or 24 sports channels, however by adding a home phone, which I DID NOT WANT, she was able to get me one of those offers you see on TV, a triple play offer for $89.99 for 24 months

Sadly, it was more like 6 months when that bill started going upThey claimed some of the pricing for the equipment I had changed and was not part of the contractSERIOUSLY?  Prior to hitting the 1 year mark, I bill was back to my the incredibly large bill it was when I started, and was told they didn't have 24 month contracts.

Go Figure.