Contributor
xfer42

Comcast charges me a rental fee for my own modem.

[ Edited ]

If you own your modem, check your bill for a modem rental fee. I purchased mine back in 11/2010 then ordered comcast internet and specified I was using my own modem. They never sent one to me, as expected. Now I see they are charging me $7 a month. I called in, and they said the modem that is connected belongs to Comcast and Im leasing it from them. I sent them the receipt for my modem, havent heard back.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Comcast charges me a rental fee for my own modem.

xfer42 wrote:

If you own your modem, check your bill for a modem rental fee. I purchased mine back in 11/2010 then ordered comcast internet and specified I was using my own modem. They never sent one to me, as expected. Now I see they are charging me $7 a month. I called in, and they said the modem that is connected belongs to Comcast and Im leasing it from them. I sent them the receipt for my modem, havent heard back.

Are you saying you have been charged for two years for your modem???? 

Hang on to that receipt, it is your only proof that it is yours!  Comcast should have looked up the modem based on your serial number,etc. of the modem you own.

I would send an email to the We Can Help Team.

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Include:

full name

service address

phone number ( and alternate number if possible)

account number

A link to this thread

Full details of the issues

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Contributor
xfer42

CCCarole,

Yes, 2 years. I know I should have caught it sooner.

The first two reps I had a chat with, over the support IM, pretty much told me the modem belongs to Comcast. I got a little PO about that since not only is Comcast charging me for my own modem, they are attempting to steal it from me. I called in and the rep said she opened a case. Havent heard back. All they have to do is check if one was ever sent out. If a modem would have been delivered to my door, that would have been a huge red flag for me that I will likely be charged a rental fee.

The modem, Motorola SB6120, was purchased at Frys for $99.97 on Nov 30, 2010.

I saw some of your previous posts and followed your recommendation (yesterday). So now Im just waiting to hear about what they found. They still have not acknowledged that there was a mistake.

Thanks

Contributor
xfer42

I think Id rather just tell Comast they bought the modem from me for $4000. Im going to write up an invoice and give them 15 days to pay up.

New Visitor
adhik

[ Edited ]

Ha ha ha... I am sorry but I am in same boat.

This is 3rd time CostCast done same thing again to me in last 3 yrs. When ever I have done any changes, by default they change it that modem is rental ( whereas I purchased in 3 yrs back).

Just out of curiousity I was checking, if I am the only victim but after seeing your post, I am happy that I am not alone facing this situation.

Anyway I have done this 2 times in past and I will do it one more time, only positive thing in my case had been that ComCast acknowledged the mistake and they gave me something in return for their mistake. And bad thing is that, I have not leant my lesson, today I am checking after 4-5 months.

Will keep you posted what happens this time.

Contributor
xfer42

Same here. The chat sessions were useless, they just fired me up to the point I had to leave work and dig up the receipt. The two calls I made, they seemed like they were understanding but couldnt resolve anything right away. They opened a case, but Im not sure if thats going anywhere. I also sent an email. So we'll see. Once I hear back, Ill post the outcome.

Regular Contributor
romatc

X2, they did the same exact thing to me. When I finally started  to scrutinize my bill and called about it they charged me for so long that I couldn't get a full credit for the overcharge. Shows you how disconnected they have become. :smileysad:

New Visitor
Antonnyjr

Wow they are charging  me too for my own modem that I bought for  $65 can u believe that  and my bill went up  and  I was like wait a minute  I aint paying  $7   and the lady told me  well give you credit for your next bills and to be honest  Comcast  is a good service BUT thare are bunch of liars cus   when i call them they tell u a price and when you go online u see a better price  for the same service i was mad .

Contributor
xfer42

Got a call back. It seems like theres no way to determine on their side if they ever sent a modem out. The guy said "I see the modem serial number hasnt changed since registration so it appears to be our modem". Well, I ordered service without a modem and used my own. I offered to send him my receipt, but he wasnt interested.

He said he would fix this and have it flagged as an "owned" modem... but Im thinking I'll need to call back next month. He was only able to credit me for the last four months and wipe the DVR rental fee for the next few months.

Email Expert
CCCarole

If you haven't already...

Send an email to the We Can Help Team.

Include:

full name
service address
phone number
account number
link to this thread
full details of the problems

You can also ask for help in the Broadband Reports Comcast Direct Forum or via Twitter.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Contributor
LtColUSMC

Well, apparently this is pretty common practice for Comcast because it just happened to me.

I purchased my modem in Aug 2011 (don't have the receipt) and have been using Comcast on that MAC ID since that time.  I upgraded to Extreme 50 in July 2012 and, just today, realized they started charging me a rental fee.

My MAC address didn't change so it ought to be obvious to Comcast that it's not their equipment but the representative on Chat wasted 30 minutes of my time only to tell me he couldn't make any changes and so I should call in.  I then called in and the Rep was unable to do anything.  She said that, in their system, they show that they sent me equipment (which I never receipted for nor received).

So, apparantly, the way Comcast works is that even if you own your own equipment, once they've put on your bill that they own your modem, it is up to you to provide proof that they have not claimed your property and are leasing it to you.

Brilliant.  How do I get a piece of that racket?

On top of that, I was "upgraded" to Extreme 105 two months ago without my permission.  Once again, I'm likely to find out that the burden of proof rests with me to demonstrate that I never authorized that upgrade.

The bottom line, folks, is that you need to watch your bills from Comcast like a hawk.  You can trust other companies with automatic billing but not Comcast.

Contributor
xfer42

They should open a case to investigate the matter with their "warehouse".

They continued to tell me that my modem was theirs, but they also said that the technician on their end selects whether its a rental or owned modem at the time of registration. I never told anyone it was my modem. I just ordered service without a modem. So the reps you speak with cannot really determine if they sent one out to you. All they can do is see that its marked as a rental. Stay on them, otherwise they will continue to send you a rental fee and steal your modem. They will demand that you turn it in when you cancel then it will go to collections.

The last call I received from comcast, the guy said he was only able to give me credit for the past four months. He was able to waive other charges that should result in an equivalent full credit over the next four months. Im in the process of a move, so I doubt that will work out.

Good luck.

New Visitor
zamyatin

This has happened to me too. Why are comcast so useless constantly?

New Visitor
tbhen

This is absolutely BS.  We ALL have the same problem with Comcast.  We buy our own modem and they continue to charge us and tell us that it is rented in "their" system.  I'm going through the same problem right now and getting the run around.  They have NO records of me calling tech. dep.t to get my modem activated.  After getting rental charges for 5 months, they want me send in a copy of my receipt for the modem I bought.  We all have the same problems, so it sounds like their business practice to screw around their customers.  I'm faxing in a  copy of my receipt of purchase from Amazon, my receipt from the rental modem I dropped off, and a picture of the bar code on my modem which has the S/N and HFC MAC ID.

If Comcast contines to give me the run around and not retroactively credit my account. I AM CONTACTING THE MN ATTORNEY GENERAL AND ALSO CONTACTING A LAWYER FOR A CLASS ACTON LAWSUIT.  This is fraud and decitful business practices.  If Comcast would rather screw their customers out of $7 a month for modem rental we own - then let's see how the like a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. 

Regular Contributor
romatc

tbhen, I'm right behind you...:smileysad:

New Visitor
modemowner

I have been battling a similar situation for months... I have voicemails from comcast technicians telling me that they dont even use the brand modem that I have, and comcast is still fighting me about the modem rental fee. I have a direct line to someone from the executive office and after a month, this issue still isnt resolved. 

Time to contact Attorney General's Office Dept. of Consumer Protection.

New Visitor
renshenw

Same here. No matter whether I call or email, they promise to resolve it and the charge keeps appearing in the bill, total BS...

New Visitor
drm5303

[ Edited ]

Add another to the list. Did a self install with purchased modem. Have had to call every month to get incorrectly billed modem fee fixed. Have been reimbursed a few months worth but it keeps coming back. Different answer each time. Incometence at best. Who can we get to fix this?

New Visitor
Dvanhorn32

I have just started using Comcast Service and this happened to me as well.  I purchased a modem on ebay prior to the tech arriving to avoid this fee.  He installed the modem and everything was working, however on my first bill I noticed the 7.00 dollar modem rental fee. 

I called up comcast billing support and they credited me the fee and said that this would not happen again.

I received a bill today and of course I was charged another 7.00 rental fee.  This time I contacted online chat support and they asked for the serial number off of the modem.  I provided this information and they informed me there records showed I was using a different modem.  The chat rep said they would be opening an investigation and I will be contacted in 72 hours, so we shall see.  I then asked for a supervisor because to me an investigation does not resolve my issue, I still have a bill with an extra 7 dollars.  After asking for a supervisor the chat rep credited me the 7 dollars back for the second month.  Hopefully the investigation goes fine and next month I dont see this fee again.

Overall I would say the comcast cable and internet service is a great value and works well, but I feel like something on the backend is not working when we keep getting this fee.

Email Expert
CCCarole

The problem is, when an Account is set up, the default setting on Comcast's end is to have the modem show as a rental from Comcast.  Whoever sets up the account has to manually go in and change it to you own your own modem.  I would think it would be a 'one-tim ix' but evidentally not since we have seen reports of the same issue many times here in the Forums.

Why they are saying their records shows a different modem I don't know.  I would suggest sending an email to the We Can Help Team for their assistance.

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

.Please include all of the following in your email:

Service address

The full name on your account

Home phone number & an alternate number where you can be reached if possible

Your Comcast Account number

A link to this Thread

A detailed description of the problems

(You may want to include the details of your own modem. serial number,etc. too)

Contributor
LtColUSMC

[ Edited ]

Per CCarole's email, I have to agree that sending an email to We_can_help@cable.comcast.com actually works.

For whatever reason, Comcast has not empowered the basic support staff that you call up (or that you communicate via chat) with the same skills or access that those who answer the we_can_help email.

When I explained the nature of the problem, I received a call back within 24 hours and the billing person who had received my email found the problem "...right away...."  Strange, I told him, that I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a rep and all they could see was that Comcast owned the modem.  In other words, everyting was very obvious to the we_can_help rep where, ether the phone support rep had been untrained to see the obvious or her screens did not give her access to the obvious.

I was refunded for several months worth of modem charges.

I'm happy it was resolved but the we_can_help rep also confirmed that every time you make a change the "who owns the modem" setting defaults back to the lease option.  The rep is supposed to "investigate" this option every time a change is made but, based on this thread, it is apparently obvious to the casual observer that this is not happening in all cases.  What percentage of cases this is happening, who knows?

The problem with many large organizations is that Service Delivery is often segmented and I wouldn't be surprised at all that those who are hearing this consistent complaint (service desk) are in one "corner" of service delivery while those who make the software changes are not even aware of the problem.

My suggestion to any Comcast personnel who are weary of seeing your company getting repeatedly trashed for something like this is to collect the myriad of emails surrounding this issue.  It is a common enough incident that the cost (both in terms of time spent by personnel to resolve as well as the reputation of Comcast) warrants an immediate fix to the billing process.  You need to elevate this to your Supervisors.  Supervisors - elevate this to the highest level until it gets over to your development team and force this issue.

At the very least, the software needs to be changed so that "who owns the modem" does not reset every time an account is changed in any way.  It's absurd to rely on even the best person to always be alert to make that change when their productivity is being measured in the number of calls processed.  I would also figure out what it is that the we_can_help folks can see that your average service desk person who is answering calls or chat room messages cannot.  There is a tremendous amount of ineffiency in your incident management process evidenced by the nearly 3 hours that I consumed on this single incident.  Multiply that across your whole incident management process and you ought to see that you need to look at what you can do to empower your Tier 1 personnel to resolve incidents like this on first contact.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Thank you for taking the time to post.  I have sent it to The forums Administrator to pass on to whomever works with this department software.

Carole

Visitor
choco-livres

i just ended two chats with comcast about the very same thing.  i purchased my own modem in december 2009 when i started internet service with comcast.  apparently back in august, 2012, they started charging me $7.00 for modem rental and i just noticed it two days ago.  the reps want me to go into a 'customer service' site with my receipt for the modem and serial number to prove that the modem is mine!! how crazy is this?  i take blame for not thoroughly checking my bill but my word.  they have no proof that they issued me a modem but now i have to prove that i'm not using one of theirs. what if i no longer had my receipt and the serial number? this doesn't sound very customer friendly to me.

New Visitor
Dvanhorn32

I just wanted to leave everybody an update regarding my situation, Comcast said they would contact me by phone or email regarding my escalation, I still have not heard a response.  They did send a email to me letting me know that my issue was escalated and that I would hear back from them within 24 hours, I did not receive a email back either.

Contributor
LtColUSMC

Dvanhorn32 wrote:

I just wanted to leave everybody an update regarding my situation, Comcast said they would contact me by phone or email regarding my escalation, I still have not heard a response.  They did send a email to me letting me know that my issue was escalated and that I would hear back from them within 24 hours, I did not receive a email back either.

I would not wait for the response.  I was told my issue was escalated and nothing happened until I contacted the we_can_help email.  I think there are a lot of people at Tier 1 that want to be helpful but desire and ability are two different things.  As I noted earlier, the Incident Management process at Comcast is dysfunctional at this point and your best bet is to directly escalate every issue to we_can_help.  When Comcast eventually addresses this Tier 1 incapacity (and the fact that issues elevated to Tier 2) are going nowhere then they'll eventually fix this but, for now, jump the process and go directly to those who will do something about it.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Dvanhorn32 wrote:

If you haven't already, do send the email to the We Can Help Team.  They will get this resolved.  Remember though, it is now not only the weekend, but also a holiday weekend, so you might not hear back untiol Jan. 2.

CC

Send an email to the We Can Help Team.

Include:

full name
service address
phone number
account number
link to this thread
full details of the problems

Visitor
choco-livres

i followed the advice of CCCarole and sent an email to Comcast regarding the erroneous charges for modem rental. Customer Service Rep. Michelle called me within hours of my email and left several voicemail messages over the last few days. i've been in and out and missed her calls. Michelle called again this morning and informed me that she had researched my account and had verified that i owned my modem. she said that when i changed my account to a new bundle in July, the technician reset my modem status to rental. this is exactly what many in the forum had reported was the case with them.  Michelle stated that i should be receiving a credit for the five months i was billed for a modem on my next month's statement. she asked me to call her directly if the credit doesn't appear.  suffice it to say that i am as pleased as punch at Michelle's quick action and tenacity!!   i will be dutifully checking my statements from this point forward. 

New Visitor
Dudeisays

Same thing happened to me, I followed the advice of CCCarole, email "we can help":

Include:

full name

service address

phone number ( and alternate number if possible)

account number

A link to this thread

Full details of the issues

I had a call back within 24 hours from someone that sounded more knowledgeble than anyone I've ever talked to from Comcast.  He told me it had been taken care of and to disregard the previous notice they sent me, which told me there was an accounting mistake in my error and they were going to correct it(start charging me for my own modem).  He also said that there is a way for the operators to tell if the modem is really owned by comcast or you and it looks like they haven't been trained properly to look in the right place.  He told me that he was going to make sure they get trained properly in the future and it was now an "executive priority".  It sounded great but it is Comcast so things probably won't change much :smileywink:

As a side note, something changed in the system and my internet stopped working after that.  I had to call them up and have them recycle everyting from their end to get it working again.  But now it looks like I'm good.  Hopefully others will have this good of luck!

New Visitor
LT1981

Count me in as another disgruntled customer having this same issue. I've sent an email to we can help but after 2 months of calling back and forth to customer service and being told everything is fine, I still got billed for a rental fee. I called again and had a ticket open to research the serial # and why it's still showing as comcast inventory, well I was supposed to get a call back but I didn't, I called to check and the rep said the ticket was closed and the note states that my modem is owned by comcast. I was furious! This kind of thing is absolutely unacceptabel, that was not a cheap modem and we spent our hard earned money on it!!!

Most Valued Poster
rickmac

Well, I just sent an email to "we_can_help@cable.comcast.com" also. Ever since I changed out my modem, they have been charging me even though i call each month.

I sure  hope they don't disconnect my service.

The excuses given by Comcast are pretty lame. Especially since they knew there would be many customers changing out their owned modems due to the Comcast mandate to do so in December 2013.

And the gall to ask the customer for a receipt has I have read elsewhere. Technically, it is called fraud, after the first time you call and notify them and they agree that it is your own modem.

"Neo, you must understand, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path." Morpheus - The Matrix