Regular Contributor

Don't pay your bill by phone

I have been with comcast for over 12years now and I just found out today that if you pay your bill by phone using a credit card you will actually be charged an additional $5.00 "convenience fee" so my suggestion to everyone is to pay your bill online.

Fubar.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Don't pay your bill by phone

The convenience fee is something Comcast has had for a long time if paying by phone.

When you pay over the phone, you are actually using Speedpay, which is a service of Western Union. The fee is what Western Union charges for the transaction and the fee goes to them, not Comcast.

You can pay your bill online for no charge.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

Queen-Evie,

I thought the convenience fee is only charged if you use a customer service representative.  Did things change recently within the last 60 days?  I have never been charged the $5.00 fee.    I used the automated phone system to pay my bill.  Making people pay extra by phone is unfair to those who have problems paying online (Me) or don't have internet service or have limited internet service.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

It's  possible that the phone system  no longer uses Speedpay.

edit to add: I did a quick search and found something from 2008, which states Comcast will start charging a fee for paying the bill over the phone through a live operator. This is probably the convenience fee.  

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Bronze Star Contributor
grday

ccc09,  did you talk to a person to pay your bill or did you use the automated phone system?   There should also be a warning before your payment is submitted,  that you agree to the $5.00 charge before even entering your or giving your card number.    I have used speedpay occasionally for the electric company & other bills.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I spoke to a rep and like you said, I "should have" been notified before paying that bill that a $5.00 charge would be added to my account for paying by phone using a CSR, howerver I was not informed of this and only found out that I was charged after calling at a later time for an unrelated issue.

I do not really care why we are charged or who gets the money, the simple fact is that I wasn't warned that I would be charged in advance which is why i made the post here so others ARE WARNED...

Buyer Beware...

New Visitor
LesserOfEvils

Hey All,

Just an FYI, I just got off the phone with a Comcast Rep. after discovering a $5.00 "convenience fee" on my initial bill from connecting my service with Comcast... Aside from the $9.95 charge for a "Sik" (Self Install Kit) of which was never received nor needed as I own my own modem... The Rep. explained to me that the "covenience fee" was charged due to "the customer's request not to be solicited" :smileyshocked:  Correct me if I'm wrong; but is that not extortion??!! We are required to pay a slight nominal fee in exchange for Comcast to not  violate our personal rights!

Do the math... just for simple example... say 100,000 Comcast subscriber's x $5... that's $500,000 Comcast would be paid not to harass it's subscriber's!!

Eh;... Fowgettaboutit  :smileyangry:

New Visitor

The FEE is actually $5.99 according to my bill!  Is the other .99 going to Comcast exec bonuses?  Also, comcast online billpay was not working for nearly 4 months!  And, a convenience fee was still charged even though paying by phone was the ONLY option.  I was never told that I was being charged a Convenience Fee in any of those phone calls!  This is extortion !

Email Expert
CCCarole

TimS51 wrote:

The FEE is actually $5.99 according to my bill!  Is the other .99 going to Comcast exec bonuses?  Also, comcast online billpay was not working for nearly 4 months!  And, a convenience fee was still charged even though paying by phone was the ONLY option.  I was never told that I was being charged a Convenience Fee in any of those phone calls!  This is extortion !

You posted in a two year old thread.  

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.