New Visitor
nicolerc7

Early Termination Fee?

Hello,

I recently canceled my Comcast internet and returned the equipment within 48 hours. The rep. I spoke with on the phone assured me over and over that I would not be charged a early termination fee. She said if it showed up on the bill, I should not pay it. Now I have my final bill and I have a $67 ETF. I spoke with another rep online who said I will have to pay it. Some about the "promo" not being finished, but I never signed up for a promotion?! I'm very frustrated...if the rep. who originally told me I would not have an EFT was wrong, shouldn't her word be honored regardless? I would not have canceled my service if she given me accurate information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Nicole C.

New Visitor
cassius51180

Re: Early Termination Fee?

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat- I am VERY unhappy with my comcast billing CONSTANTLY increasing.  I was told that if I wanted to downgrade from TriplePlay to DoublePlay- There would be a termination fee, since I was in a 2 yr contract.  I only agreed to a 2 yr contract to receive a special $100 Visa card promo.  I have been told that I was never eligible for this promo- so I will not receive a $100 Visa card.  I would think that that would cancel any contract- But the rep I just spoke to doesn't seem to care what "David" said in a saved chat. 

I am not paying any kind of ETF for stopping service.  I haven't had service this bad since I was with Time Warner.  Tomorrow, I am ordering DISH Network, and Verizon DSL- for a little over HALF what I am paying now. 

New Visitor
omgcourtney

Tell them you are moving to a location not in their zone. Such as somewhere in colorado or wherever. Then they can't charge you an etf. :smileyhappy:

Email Expert
CCCarole

cassius51180 wrote:

I'm in the same boat- I am VERY unhappy with my comcast billing CONSTANTLY increasing.  I was told that if I wanted to downgrade from TriplePlay to DoublePlay- There would be a termination fee, since I was in a 2 yr contract.  I only agreed to a 2 yr contract to receive a special $100 Visa card promo.  I have been told that I was never eligible for this promo- so I will not receive a $100 Visa card.  I would think that that would cancel any contract- But the rep I just spoke to doesn't seem to care what "David" said in a saved chat. 

I am not paying any kind of ETF for stopping service.  I haven't had service this bad since I was with Time Warner.  Tomorrow, I am ordering DISH Network, and Verizon DSL- for a little over HALF what I am paying now. 

You might want to try this first...

You may send an email to the We Can Help Team at:  We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

.Please include all of the following in your email:

Service address

The full name on your account

Home phone number & an alternate number where you can be reached if possible

Your Comcast Account number

A link to this Thread

A detailed description of the problem

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Email Expert
CCCarole

omgcourtney wrote:

Tell them you are moving to a location not in their zone. Such as somewhere in colorado or wherever. Then they can't charge you an etf. :smileyhappy:

The OP did not say he was canceling service, but that he wanted to downgrade his services.

As for your suggestion, no comment.:smileysad:

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Visitor
camposvlc

Actually, I AM moving out of the comcast service area...and they are still going to charge me $105 early termination fee.  I am disgusted and so angry I can not stand it.  I would get it if I were moving down the street and was cancelling because i hate their service....But i am moving 900 miles away, for my job.  This is terrible customer service and not the way to get word of mouth clientele. 

New Visitor
PraxEnt

I too am frustrated.  My company is moving to a place 1 mile from my current location.  I contacted my Sale Rep, completed and signed a transfer order etc.  He replied in an email that said for some reason ComCast does not service that new area where I am moving, and becasue of that fact I should not be charged an ETF.  I called billing and they said "I dont care what your rep said, you have to pay 75 per cent of your bill until the contract is over in 2 more years"  She was quite rude in her tone as well.  I do have an email from the sales rep with Comcast along with my transfer paperwork all signed, that says I should not have to pay the ETF, so I suppose that is what I will have to show the judge if i am sent to collections

I sure with I could have my new customers over a barrel to sign a 3 year agreement befroe they ever try my service.  I think that if someone from Comcast puts a statment in writing indicating that I should not have to pay the ETF it should be binding... especially given the fact that in good faith i tried to transfer the service

Email Expert
CCCarole

I would suggest that you send an email to the We Can Help Team regarding conflicting information you are getting.  They should be able to tell what is true and what is not.

We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

.Please include all of the following in your email:

Service address

The full name on your account

Home phone number & an alternate number where you can be reached if possible

Your Comcast Account number

A link to this Thread

A detailed description of the problem

Official Employee
ComcastNick

Just to clear up what the policy is for Early Termination Fees(ETF).  These are for residential services only, I do not know what the exact policy is for business services.  If you have a business account, please contact out business services, 1-800-391-3000.

The amount for ETF will depend on what the offer was, and how long you have left on your agreement.

For account specific information, you will always want to contact your local office, 1-800-Comcast.

If you move to a Comcast serviceable area, and sign up for service, you are not charged.

If you move to a Comcast serviceable area, and do not sign up for service, then the ETF would apply.

If you move to a non-Comcast serviceable area, then the ETF does apply.

If it is a active military deployment, then the ETF will be waived if you send us the correct documentation.

If the account holder is deceased, the ETF will be waived upon receiving a death certificate or obituary.

If you downgrade the service, then the ETF will apply.

If you have a situation that I didn't list, lmk, I will see if I can look up the policy on your situation.  You can also send through a PM if you don't want to post the details on a public forum.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
New Visitor
PraxEnt

I transferred my service to another suite in our building.  My Sales Rep for Comcast set everything up, the service was moved.  I also received a certificate and new agreement for service at the new place.  I cancelled the new service well before the 30days and signed disconnection agreement that clearly stated 0 termination fee. I was told to take back all of the equipment and that is all I would need to do.Then an hour later I got an email that says that there is no ETF on the new place but there is on the old place even thought my sales rep says the new agreement I signed supercedes the old agreement.

I have about had it with Comcast and on the advice of my attorney am considering reporting this horrible business practice to the FCC as I have mounds of emails instructing me what to do, emails that say there will be no ETF and then changes of policy… Consumers are getting ripped off and perhaps the FCC will take care of this

New Visitor
PraxEnt

OH and the termination fee for one line of service over $2500!

New Visitor
rmrara41

Do do dish. They are not any better.

New Visitor
rmrara41

Stay away from dish.

New Visitor
ckontz

Early Termination Fee

I am moving and my new landlord will not allow digging or changes made to the property so I called to cancellation my business class internet and phone they told me I would have to pay  over $3000 to cancel my service because the last time I moved they made me sign a new contract even though th only thing changing was my address even the phone numbers stayed the same. Now to put this in to perspective I work from home making about 190 to 200 a week on a good week. I have recomended comcast to a few people never again and a lawyer is a lot cheaper than $3000 so I will be calling one. The guy who origianly signed me up never said the cancellation fee would be the balance of my bills from my contract or I would never had signed up for business class I am  thinking I should cancel my residential also and go with Fios if I have to be locked into a contract why not. Also my bill with business class that was supposed to be locked has increased from 162.00 to 180.00 a month they said it was taxes and other charges.

New Visitor

Re: Early Termination Fee

similar situation here. CBC wants $1500 to terminate my service.

New Visitor
Caleewa

Though his suggestion was a tricky one, I am moving back to my hometown and Compact is not offered in the middle of nowhere where I live.  Would this actually forego the ETF?

Email Expert
CCCarole

Caleewa wrote:

Though his suggestion was a tricky one, I am moving back to my hometown and Compact is not offered in the middle of nowhere where I live.  Would this actually forego the ETF?

I would definitely call 1-800 comcast (Billing Department) to be sure of the correct answer.

Visitor
SheMikel

Early Termination Fees seem to be running rampant in the TV/cable/satellite industry today: Comcast promotes "No Contracts", "No Termination Fees". Oh, and by the way moving to Colorado will not get anyone away from Comcast.They have a Major Office located just outside of Denver!

Here is my ETF story, only not with Comcast; this one included both DIRECTV and DISH.  I moved to Silverton, OR and had to leave Comcast behind because they have (had?) no service there. I signed with DIRECTV without a choice. Moved back into Comcast territory a year later signed back up and was appalled with the rise in prices. Left Comcast went to DIRECTV, where the installers (on a Friday eve were eager to get done) shoved a paper to sign under my nose and hit the road. A year later, in total disillusion with DIRECTV and wanting to switch back to Comcast, a DISH rep. showed up at my back door offering an amazing deal on DISH and with a neighbor who was a DISH fan rooting me on, I said "Can't, I've got a Contract". The DISH salesman said, "No problem. I'm authorized through DISH to buy out your DIRECTV contract up to one year's time left (which was exactly how much time I had left). Well, I was thrilled; in under three hours there was no DIRECTV left in sight and DISH was running full blast in my house. Not being overly impressed in the next few weeks with DISH and still wanting to go back to Comcast, I called DISH to cancel and learned I was now on a two year contract with DISH, humm.... Then the DIRECTV "final bill" showed up with a ETF of $220.00 which the Rep Contractor then denied he had agreed to pay (but I had a witness). To make a long story a wee bit longer, after a dozen+, blind phone calls to the "Service Center(s)" of both DIRECTV and DISH, from  Arizona and Texas, to Taiwan and the Philippines, (none of which are allowed to make outgoing calls, therefore they have no phone numbers for the home office(s) of these two major players in the TELEPHONE/CABLE/TV/SATELLITE business, in fact, most of the support people overseas don't know "where" their home offices are! But, one guy did; he said DISH is in Denver, Colorado. "Aha", a few more blind calls and just dumb luck I got an answer in Denver. I told that guy my story and he hooked me up with (write this down) the Manager in the "DISPUTE RESOLUTION DEPT." at DISH in Denver. This woman listened, politely put me on hold, called the Retail Contractor here in Oregon, who then called me before I got off the phone with the Manager and told me "nothing was a problem, he would get that bill paid, because he had NEVER had a dispute filed against him before, ever". And, he represented DISH, DIRECTV, and Century Link. So, you all can draw your own conclusions about that story. Bottom line, Check the papers you signed with Comcast to start with, if it's in there...ouch, if it's not, then you don't have a Contract and that is Comcast's selling point right now and they should be made to stand by it. So, from here on out let's all read the fine print...before we sign!

New Visitor
okrita

I am in the same boat with you all.  We're sinking!  I have had Comcast/Xfinity internet for 7 years (the whole time I've been working in CA) and home security for about 15 months.  I lost my job here in CA and am headed to Dallas,TX in search of more.  I called to cancel my services in CA because they aren't available in Dallas, TX.  I was told I'd have a $600 ETF for the home security because I was 6 quarters from the end of the 3 year agreement.  I don't even get to keep the equipment!  When this home security was 'sold' to me this info was buried in the fine print.  I reread it several times today until I understood it.  I do not think I should be held liable for the ETF considering Comcast/Xfinity is unavailable in Dallas (Houston only) otherwise I would surely move the service with me.

New Visitor
okrita

I forgot the most important fact!  When I was reading the agreement today I noticed it said "$100 per quarter for premium service and $70 per quarter for Basic service".  I have the Basic home security not the premium.  Why did he quote me the higher ETF and just expect me to pay it?

New Visitor
spchic13

I am moving to a location they don't service and the representstive said they still have to charge me an early terminstion fee of $90.  It is ridiculous!

New Visitor
had2

It seems to me that one could just type up an obituary and send it in.  If necessary, one could run it in a paper out of state that publishes obits online.  Copy it and send it in.  Problem solved.  I HATE Comcast.  They have suddenly started charging me a modem rental fee after a year of service.  I've called every month for four months to let them know I've NEVER RENTED A MODEM FROM ANYONE IN MY LIFE...much less them!  I canceled my internet and cable last week and turned in the equipment in their drop box because they were closed despite their website saying they were open.  Internet is still on.  They are extremely screwed up.

New Visitor
mrshoog

Who are you going to use for internet service?  My comcast bill went up 50% two months ago.