Contributor
giesekejs

Equipment Rental fees

Why does Comcast keep increasing equipment rental fees for no apparent reason?

A few months ago, my modem rental fee went from $5 to $7 per month. I contacted Comcast and had (more or less) the following conversation

Q: I've had the same modem since I began my service in March of 2009, don't I own the modem at some point?

A: No.

Q: Well can I go buy a modem so I can stop paying this stupid perpetual rental fee?

A: Since you have phone service, No.

Q: So you have long since made your investment back on this modem but you are going to continue to charge me an ever increasing amount to have it and I can't provide my own modem because I have the audacity to have all 3 services through Comcast?

A: Correct.

This month my HD DVR rental fee went up from $15.95 to $16.95. I know it isn't a big jump but it seems unusually arbitrary when these fees increase and some other providers don't charge equipment rental fees. I have one cable box and one modem. I have replaced the cable box a number of times due to problems with TV service and even installed new cable in my attic (Comcast wanted $90 an hour and a 2 hour minimum to run one line from my living room to my outside connection) when a tech suggested that this might be the problem.

So can anyone explain the equipment rental increases beyond "Comcast is doing it because they know they can get away with it"?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Equipment Rental fees

All, I can tell  you is if you don't like it call them and ask to see if they can put you into a promotion, when your in a promo none of that matters are your in a pacakge price.

As for why prices go up?  Have you been to the grocery store, or gotten gas lately, everything is gone up cable is no exception.   Fios, ATT, everyone is raising rates.  

You are correct, most areas where you need a phone modem will not let you buy your own.  

All I can tell you is call and see if they can do anything for you.

Email Expert
CCCarole

Re: Equipment Rental fees

Also, you might want to read the post (message #10) in this Thread, made by JayInAlg regarding the phone modems.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Billing/Modem-rental-charge/m-p/1179849/message-uid/1179849#U1179849

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.